Bike Van?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steven1988

Veteran
So my other half is about to hopefully pass her driving test, so i have decided rather than buying a second car, i am going to buy a van for the bikes and all the cycling coaching stuff i carry regularly.

Does anyone have any recommendations, budget is about 4 - 5k, and my only requirement is it must carry 6 people so looking at some sort of Crew cab.

Any ideas?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
VW's are the most popular. However you should be able to get a crew-cab Transit or Vauxhall Vivaro/Renault Trafic.

You could use a people carrier with seats flat if needed? Mine's a Peugeot Tepee and with the seat/s down bikes just roll in.

colly

Re member eR
I used to drive a Nissan Primastar which is the same as a Renualt Trafic and also a Vauxhall Vivaro. I have to say it was a great van. Better to drive than almost any car I've driven. ( but that isn't saying much tbh) Good view, quiet, comfortable, plenty of go if you need it and fitted with as many driver aids as you want.
One of those with seats would be a well worth a look.

Edit: I, or rather Mrs Colly, has a Ford Galaxy atm and while it has plenty of seats and space it isn't all that practical for people and bikes together. Nice vehicle though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
steven1988

steven1988

Veteran
Thank you for the suggestions
VW's are the most popular. However you should be able to get a crew-cab Transit or Vauxhall Vivaro/Renault Trafic.

You could use a people carrier with seats flat if needed? Mine's a Peugeot Tepee and with the seat/s down bikes just roll in.

Thank you for the suggestions i did think aboutvthe people carrier route however on CX weekends i regularly carry 5 bikes spare wheels and 4 people so i don't think that would work.

A transit i feel may be the way to go. Im doubtful the budget would be enough for a decent VW

OP
OP
steven1988

steven1988

Veteran
I used to drive a Nissan Primastar which is the same as a Renualt Trafic and also a Vauxhall Vivaro. I have to say it was a great van. Better to drive than almost any car I've driven. ( but that isn't saying much tbh) Good view, quiet, comfortable, plenty of go if you need it and fitted with as many driver aids as you want.
One of those with seats would be a well worth a look.

Edit: I, or rather Mrs Colly, has a Ford Galaxy atm and while it has plenty of seats and space it isn't all that practical for people and bikes together. Nice vehicle though.

Thanks Colly yep i thought 5 bikes 4 people and all the other CX stuff would be too much for a Galaxy or equivalent.

DRM

Guru
Stay well away from Peugeot Expert/Citroen Dispatch/Toyota Proace clones, all are unreliable piles of junk, sliding doors fall off, drive shafts fail, clutches fail, brakes fail, just don't go there, along with the irritating features like economy mode that turns the radio off after ten minutes & won't allow the windows to go up or down without starting it, just horrible money pits, the original Toyota Hiace is bullet proof though, albeit a bit thirsty.

mustang1

Guru
I have experience of vans but I was thinking if you are on a CX weekend then put the muddy bikes into the van, you'll have clean things up afterwards? But if you had a pickup truck then they'd be a lot easier to wash.

Levo-Lon

Guru
5k including vat, you'll get a very high miler that's been driven by loads of different drivers.
Some look after them most dont.
High insurance and rfl too.
Big vans use a lot of fuel also.

Good luck with your plan

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Veedub is the obvious choice budget permitting, maybe a Crafter depending how much room you need. Or maybe a Sprinter?

Failing that, the Transit is plentiful and relatively inexpensive by comparison while the Renault Tragic* and it's cousins are much of a muchness.

* - I typed Trafic but it autocorrected and I quite like this.

gbb

Legendary Member
Only thing i can contribute...and it's one person's experience, but a guy at work brought himself a low mileage Vauxhall Vivaro, moderately high spec. It's relatively old now but still less than 50k on the clock and he's done nothing but spend money on it. He listed the faults, more than I'd ever like to deal with...shame because we had one at work and it ran well, comfortable, powerful (although it did have one spell in the garage for a fault)

OP
OP
steven1988

steven1988

Veteran
5k including vat, you'll get a very high miler that's been driven by loads of different drivers.
Some look after them most dont.
High insurance and rfl too.
Big vans use a lot of fuel also.

Good luck with your plan

Thanks for the feedback i would have to fall lucky on one. Insurance wouldnt be a problem as i have social domestic and pleasure on my work policy that covers any vehicle upto the value of 100k.

I may re-evaluate and see if i can extend the budget at all. Thanks

Levo-Lon

Guru
Thanks for the feedback i would have to fall lucky on one. Insurance wouldnt be a problem as i have social domestic and pleasure on my work policy that covers any vehicle upto the value of 100k.

I may re-evaluate and see if i can extend the budget at all. Thanks

Not sure how insurance will be if your carrying 5 people and their bikes?
They may say " well they must be paying you to run them about"
So be very careful..

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I have a Movano mid wheel base high roof and think its perfect for a conversion , I already use it for TT's with the back part as my changing room and bike /wheels and work tools in the front . One day i will do a proper conversion .
Just done commercial insurance yesterday , Cheapest was £450 but paid £560 with my existing company as i know they cover chemical transport and trailer cover ( not that you will need that )

Top Bottom