Bike Van?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
steven1988

steven1988

Veteran
Not sure how insurance will be if your carrying 5 people and their bikes?
They may say " well they must be paying you to run them about"
So be very careful..

Thanks the 5 are me my OH 2 kids and my Eldests friend who comes to CX with us, surely its normal for a family to travel together, is it not?

OP
OP
steven1988

steven1988

Veteran
Yes, though I only get changed pennies for it.

So this i am not sure of. Don't think i will need business insurance as a volunteer coach with my local club as it isnt a business?

Drago

Legendary Member
So this i am not sure of. Don't think i will need business insurance as a volunteer coach with my local club as it isnt a business?

I sometimes charge, sometimes do my training for free.

You need to disclose volunteering to them (I do for my SAR volunteering), but they're unlikely to charge you any more. Volunteer work isn't covered by S, D and P.

OP
OP
steven1988

steven1988

Veteran
I sometimes charge, sometimes do my training for free.

You need to disclose volunteering to them (I do for my SAR volunteering), but they're unlikely to charge you any more. Volunteer work isn't covered by S, D and P.

Thanks Drago i'm on it first thing in the morning

DanZac

I've got a Vivaro LWB (although not a crew cab version), great for shoving bikes etc in the back of. You should be able to pick up a reasonable one In your price bracket although it's going to be higher mileage than a similar age car. You need to consider that most vans spend their lives on the road working so soon rack up the miles.
If you can get one that's been looked after they are great vehicles, plenty of info online regarding common faults etc so do your research before buying. Keep and eye out for ex fleet one's (I think the AA might use crewcabs) as they will have been well maintained.

Salar

A fish out of water
I've had a Renault Kangoo LWB van for the past five years, economic to run and no slouch.

No problems apart from having to change the alternator a couple of months ago.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My Dad had a Peugot Partner but it is a white van. Fine if you only need two seats. He didn't have much trouble with it, and was his workhorse for quite a few years.

He now has a VW Touran which he took the back seats out of. In his experience it's far better as a work van and the visibility is much like a car (so better than a van). However, it's not as tall as the Partner so you have to lay the bike(s) down

This is probably well above your budget, but older models will be considerably less.

transporter-cab-chassis.png

The rear can be rigged up to have a permanent/temporary roof/cover.

TeeShot

Veteran
After a few years with bigger vans I bought a LWB Vivaro crew cab 8 years ago. For shifting people, kit and bikes it’s bang on. It’s been to the four corners of mainland Britain nearly always with several bikes in the back. Useful numbers, 115,000 miles, 35 mpg always, max 9 bikes + 4 people and kit. The new Transit looks good but it’s a fair amount of cash compared to the old Vauxhall. If you carry bikes now and then any vehicle will do, if you carry bikes more than once a week these bits of kit are brilliant

DRM

Guru
Don’t forget that speed limits for a van are lower than a car, national speed limit single carriageway 50 mph, dual carriageway national speed limit 60 mph, motorway 70 mph like cars, easy to get caught out on long A roads.

Crankarm

Guru
Don’t forget that speed limits for a van are lower than a car, national speed limit single carriageway 50 mph, dual carriageway national speed limit 60 mph, motorway 70 mph like cars, easy to get caught out on long A roads.

Well I am sure this is news to many a white or any other colour van driver as pretty much all of them pass me as if I am standing still and I am sticking to the speed limits!

Top Bottom