Bike Van?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
It depends on what class crew cab type pickups are registered as. If they're registered as "diesel car", the equivalent of the old PLG, then the car limits apply.

DRM

Guru
It depends on what class crew cab type pickups are registered as. If they're registered as "diesel car", the equivalent of the old PLG, then the car limits apply.
Most pick ups are classed as commercial vehicles, with a minimum payload of 1 tonne, they became popular as a way to avoid paying benefit in kind on a company car, IIRC £16 per month instead of £60 to £70, all that happened in reality was that the majority of van users lost private usage when HMRC clamped down on them, they hit on all commercials, when they should have made double cab pick ups be taxed the same as a company car, the vast majority were never used for, carriage of goods, just posing by sales & managers, the users of pick ups went back to cars in droves after screwing it up for for company van users.
The reason I put this up is that the majority of drivers have no clue about the lower limit for commercial vehicles, unless they are a car derived van
( Corsa or Fiesta type) and is something to consider when buying a van.

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Most pick ups are classed as commercial vehicles, with a minimum payload of 1 tonne, they became popular as a way to avoid paying benefit in kind on a company car, IIRC £16 per month instead of £60 to £70, all that happened in reality was that the majority of van users lost private usage when HMRC clamped down on them, they hit on all commercials, when they should have made double cab pick ups be taxed the same as a company car, the vast majority were never used for, carriage of goods, just posing by sales & managers, the users of pick ups went back to cars in droves after screwing it up for for company van users.
The reason I put this up is that the majority of drivers have no clue about the lower limit for commercial vehicles, unless they are a car derived van
( Corsa or Fiesta type) and is something to consider when buying a van.

My car derived Fiat Doblo is 60 mph limit as it weighs 2020 kg gvw..fecking stupid

I do 70 - 80 often and did the same in my Ducato 3.3 gvw.
However i do watch for any speed restrictions and the usual kojaks with kodaks

Levo-Lon

Guru
I had looked at a Doblo (bought an estate instead) but thought they were a van derived car, like a Berlingo, rather than a car derived van like, say a Fiesta van. Not as though it really makes much practical difference.

It makes a hell of a difference on VED the van costs 250 a year for a 1250 cc diesel

Levo-Lon

Guru
Good grief. I much prefer free car tax!

Been seriously considering getting a little car , the van is brilliant for carrying the bikes but a tow bar and my rack will suffice.
Main thing is my van is new ish with 13k miles and warranty untill july and as usual it's worth 6k on a forecourt and 4k + trade in. So that leaves me with a big thumping financialy .. so maybe I'll wait and just pay the outrageous road tax.

Sixmile

Veteran
Would a Honda FRV be an option? It carries 6 adults and still has some boot room.

Avoid anything that says 'Iveco' on it, and anything with a 1.6HDi engine.

My 1.6HDI engined C4 is just past 117,000 and as sweet as a nut (had it since 50,000) and still running on fumes so not all bad!

Drago

Legendary Member
Mrs D has owned 4 cars with various generations of the 1.6HDi, not suffered the slightest hiccup in any of them. People thrash the arriss off them, neglect servicing, use cheap oil, and then moan very loudly when they break - the people who maintain them properly are typically silent.

Avoid them by all means for being filthy, dirty, nasty diseasels, but theres little other reason to shirk them.

From what I read engine problems are a lot to do with oil changes. Theres a bit more fuel squirted in when DPF is regenerating and it doesn't work well when engine is only being used for short journeys so a bit ends up in the sump. Ignore oil change warnings at your own risk and eventual expense.

Cavalol

Guru
I've seen too many 1.6HDis that have turbo and other problems to ever be convinced they're a good idea. The Vivaro/Trafic are a decent steer, but the gearboxes on earlier ones were a weak spot, often losing 5th, for example.

I think the 'problem'' with buying a used van, even more than a car, is that when you do an internet search for common problems or owners views, every single make and model will have it's detractors. A lot is down to good judgement like checking each one out (and the vendor) very carefully and a whole heap of luck.
Personally I'd go for a SWB Transit, the Mk6 as opposed to a Mk7 though.

Top Bottom