Bike Van?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
The DV series 1.4/+.6 HDi) and its derivitives is far and away the best selling passenger car diesel engine in history, used by Peugeot, Citroen, Toyota, Volvo, Ford, MINI - that's the only reason you see more broken ones, because there are simply vastly more out there than any other. The turbo problems, particularly on the earlier ones, we're cause by neglect - wrong oil, or oil not changed on times, sludges and cakes and restricts turbo oil supply, and the turbo go. .Back street garages change the turbo without bothering to figure out what it had failed in the first place, and within 20 or 30k they go again. Dealers changed the supply pipe as well, but people try to be clever and save a few quid by using Fred in a Shed who didn't replace the pipe, and it and ended up paying twice as a result.

You'll note that each brand used their own make and model ofr turbo on the same long engine, and still suffered - it ain't the turbo at fault, but the prats that don't maintain or use them correctly.

Serviced when the manufacturer recommends, with the exact oil the manufacturer recommends, and they're actually quite robust units. I've had my hands down a few, know them well.

Last edited:

Cavalol

Guru
Never be a patch on the XUD though, especially with a Bosch pump for all that lovely veg oil goodness.

Drago

Legendary Member
Used to run my pick up on veg. On the one hand it was great, fuel was 40p a litre and its a low carbon fuel source. On the other hand, it's horrifically dangerous health wise because of the particulates and nitrous oxides, and I'm ashamed of myself.

Cavalol

Guru
My 306 used to fly through the emissions every year, always with comments from the tester about how clean it was running. I actually got something like 3,200 miles all on veg with no pre-heater, until it finally bowed out due to severe rot in the n/s/r wing.
It was fun* in the winter mind you, and it was so bad that when it did start I couldn't see the car park for smoke, and it royally p*ss*d my neighbours off according to my missus.
Costco was the best (at the time) for 'fuel' I think it was something like £12.97 for twenty litres. Happy days.

Drago

Legendary Member
Unfortunately, the MOT diesel emissions test is merely a smoke opacity test. It is not by a long way a realistic indicator of the filth some diesels spew, because the test simply doesn't measure those parameters.

Top Bottom