Bike vs HGV

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
it is not just undertaking that is the problem. Stopping hard left against the kerb and allowing a lorry to share the lane alongside you is equally foolish.
Arrive first : Stop centrally / in primary position in the lane.
Arrive later: Do not undertake, wait in line.

I would add that if you arrive first and a HGV approaches from behind, get eye contact, wave etc (move forward if necessary).
I would also add that if you arrive after a HGV and wait in line, make sure you stop at least 2 metres behind the HGV, preferably further back. In this position you are still out of sight, but relatively safe. If you adopt a position to the right or left of the lane (either in an attempt to block undertaking or to make yourself visible in the driver's mirrors) you are vulnerable to other vehicles coming alongside.

Mad at urage

it is not just undertaking that is the problem. Stopping hard left against the kerb and allowing a lorry to share the lane alongside you is equally foolish.
Arrive first : Stop centrally / in primary position in the lane.
Arrive later: Do not undertake, wait in line.
Then have a bus drive into the back of you, sending you flying past the pedestrian using the Toucan crossing (I was on a motor-bike at the time, which gave some protection and was bigger, with bigger lights)... Some drivers yo just can't win against.

Top Bottom