Bike vs HGV

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MickL

Über Member
if it isnt it should be, just shows why cyclist should not go up the inside of lorries.

Bigsharn

Veteran
Bentmikey took part in the other part of the video, it might be worth asking if he can dig the other half up... I *think* it was used as a campaign, but I'm not 100%.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
if it isnt it should be, just shows why cyclist should not go up the inside of lorries.
Really? It shows me that the cyclist was quite visible, IF the lorry driver had bothered to pay attention. The cyclist could be seen going into the "blind spot"* , so if they hadn't come out it it's obvious that they must still be there, IF the lorry driver bothered to look.

* An excuse for poor design , if you can't see to operate heavy machinery safely , then don't operate it! Works for every other sort of industry!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Really? It shows me that the cyclist was quite visible, IF the lorry driver had bothered to pay attention. The cyclist could be seen going into the "blind spot"* , so if they hadn't come out it it's obvious that they must still be there, IF the lorry driver bothered to look.

* An excuse for poor design , if you can't see to operate heavy machinery safely , then don't operate it! Works for every other sort of industry!

You cannot expect the driver of a hgv to be looking at that mirror 100 % of the time when there are other road users safety that the lorry driver has to consider without having to keep an eye out all the time for some numpty creeping up on the nearside .
No its not very nice if someone gets crushed by a lorry and some drivers are bad but if your willing to put yourself in danger that way then you must be aware of the risks involved.
As is said time and again all road users should treat each other with respect and be aware of the limitations and vulnerabilities of each other, just as you want the lorry driver to give you a wide berth so you are not knocked off your bike or sucked under the wheels the cyclist should be aware of the difficulties drivers face and not put themselves in a position where this could happen.

Little yellow Brompton

You cannot expect the driver of a hgv to be looking at that mirror 100 % of the time when there are other road users safety that the lorry driver has to consider without having to keep an eye out all the time for some numpty creeping up on the nearside ..
The driver was stationary, where else did he need to look? If the machine is unsafe to use then it shoudn't be used.

Dan_h

The driver was stationary, where else did he need to look? If the machine is unsafe to use then it shoudn't be used.

He could have been looking at the traffic lights for example, or one of a number of other things. I am sure most people don't sit and watch their nearside mirror constantly when waiting for the lights to change. Say what you like about the design of the trucks, the message is still the same, don't try to pass heavy vehicles on their left.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
30% in one mirror, 30% in the other side, 30% watching for pedestrians crossing close to the front and 10% watching for the lights to change. Not forgetting that there are 2 mirrors each side to look into.
Now watch it again looking away for 2 seconds in every 3 and see if you notice the cyclist.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
A few points.

1/ There is no blind spot on modern lorries if the mirrors are adjusted properly. The large mirror/smaller convex mirror, and downward facing kerb mirror should cover all angles. The very latest lorries also have a downward facing mirror which covers the front of the lorry so you can spot pedestrians. Mine doesn't, and I think they should be made a legal retrograde requirement. I always lean forward to check, as some numpty pedestrians do cross within inches of your bumper! Suicide!

2/ Although it's not clear if the driver did check his n/s mirrors, he definitely did not do the required over shoulder check on his n/s......which when I took my LGV test was a certain test failure.

3/ Yes I'm sure this was a safety video. For Christs sake never ever filter on the n/s. It's suicide to assume that all (or any) drivers are competent.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

You are taking the p1ss...... Sorry mate but cyclist moved up and went out of sight of a big truck within a couple of seconds. THIS IS HOW CYCLISTS GET KILLED.

Little yellow Brompton

You are taking the p1ss...... Sorry mate but cyclist moved up and went out of sight of a big truck within a couple of seconds. THIS IS HOW CYCLISTS GET KILLED.
They get killed by HGV drivers moving off not knowing what is in their "blind spot" , how the pedstrian,cyclist, car, motorcyclist , barrier, bollard etc... arrives in the "blind spot" is irrelelvant. If the operator of the machinery is not certain that it is safe to operate the machinery then he shoudn't be operating it. It's a simple ethos that is accepted in every other industry, why is the haulage industry the only one with apologists?

Top Bottom