Bike weight limits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elysian_Roads

Great news on the weight loss. As for "at 53 tooooooo old for anything cross country lol ..", never say never! I'm the same age, into cycling the most seriously I have ever been over the last year, and enjoy a mix of road and trail. It can get addictive.....

Looking forward to hearing some of your cycling stories. Cheers.

The manufacturer are not confident however and I would be loath to take the word of a salesman who is basing their assessment on what exactly?

The manufacturer probably are confident and the limit will have a large safety margin built in, but the limit is there to limit warranty claims, so they won’t warrant it,

He has the choice take the risk himself, don’t buy, or buy something used cheap until his weight is below the limit and take the risk that the used cheap bike survives.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The manufacturer probably are confident and the limit will have a large safety margin built in, but the limit is there to limit warranty claims, so they won’t warrant it,

He has the choice take the risk himself, don’t buy, or buy something used cheap until his weight is below the limit and take the risk that the used cheap bike survives.

If they were confident they would warrant it as it would not lead to an increase in claims.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

I think the first thing I need to do is actually confirm my exact weight which I will do at the gym over the next few days... I may be surprised as I have lost some.. I suspect that although I will be close too, or maybe a little over the 120KG rated for this bike I need to check first.. If I am upto say 5KG over, say 125KG I can then speak to Evans and see what they say.. It was my choice to go for this bike and no pressure was put on me... I know some of the Specialized go up to 136KG so that may be an option if needed...

I have just emailed Scott to see what they have to say, I am confident if I am above 120KG iat worst/max I will be between 120-127 KG may even surprise myself when I get weighed but if so still hopefully in that "safe margin" for a short while anyway

Thanks for all the advice, I will keep you informed what Scott say :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Just looking at what other bikes, if needed go higher.... this https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/crosstrail-elite-alloy/p/134283?color=239902-134283 looks to be rated at 136KG which would be better, now a question... I presume the weight limit is to do with the wheels? if so this has 14g spokes and the Scott Subcross 10 has 15g spokes... Now I know nothing about bikes, but does this mean the Scott has stronger, albeit very slightly spokes/wheels? but is rated less....

I have no idea how they calculate the limit and I am waiting for both Scott and Evans to reply to messages.... so I will keep you informed :smile:

Oh and getting myself on the scales today I hope to get a better idea :smile:

Slick

Guru
Just looking at what other bikes, if needed go higher.... this https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/crosstrail-elite-alloy/p/134283?color=239902-134283 looks to be rated at 136KG which would be better, now a question... I presume the weight limit is to do with the wheels? if so this has 14g spokes and the Scott Subcross 10 has 15g spokes... Now I know nothing about bikes, but does this mean the Scott has stronger, albeit very slightly spokes/wheels? but is rated less....

I have no idea how they calculate the limit and I am waiting for both Scott and Evans to reply to messages.... so I will keep you informed :smile:

The heavier spooked wheel would not necessarily be stronger but it could be an indicator. I always count the spokes but it's not always just as simple as that either.

I thought that like sheet metal, the smaller the number of gauge, the thicker the spoke,
I am possibly wrong though.

I thought that like sheet metal, the smaller the number of gauge, the thicker the spoke,
I am possibly wrong though.
If that's how they're measuring them, correct.

si_c

Guru

Spoke gauge is counter intuitive as I understand it. Double butted (thinner) spokes fatigue less than straight gauge spokes as they are more flexible so spread the load across the whole spoke meaning they are less likely to fail at the elbow or nipple.

Go with the bike you want, which will help you lose the weight as you'll ride it more, and don't worry about the weight limit, unless you're an elephant it's probably not massively relevant. Both those bikes will be comfortably able to accommodate your weight without any difficulty.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Thanks for all the help and advice, I have good and bad news... lol

Bad news is I an heavier still than I thought I was, just been to the doctors with my Mom and looking on there scales (asked if I could use them) which I know over read from past checks, I am actually 130KG so a little more than expected, but good news is I have lost half a stone in two months :smile:

I have also just been into Evans and discussed this with him, and whilst he has said he cannot guarantee I will, will not have wheel issues they have assured me that when/if I do they will look after me and sort any issues out, and rightly or wrongly I believe they will based on the service so far... So the Sub Cross 10 it will be.... He did say he has seen bigger blokes on a bike with no issues.... but said they can look at options when/if they arise... i.e custom built wheels ...

SO, fingers crossed all will be OK, I am only going on tarmac roads and avoiding tracks and pot holes etc...

Funny enough he said the same as si_c said get the bike you want, the way you are loosing weight I will soon be at a safer range and will not regret buying something I did not really want :smile:

Will let you know how I get on.... more tales to come...

Stu

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Are you riding anything at the moment? If not you see the weight drop off once you are on the bike and getting the miles in. :bicycle:

No, just the gym 4 times a week, bike, after a short 35 years not riding lol will be Friday, Saturday and Sunday exercise when I am off work... disappointed I am heavier than expected, but very happy at the half stone loss in two months, so like you say should go quicker once extra exercise starts next weekend hopefully :smile:

I have just emailed Spa Cycles as suggested to see about a cost of more suitable wheels to suit if needed :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

As I suspected for legal reasons Scott will not commit to anything.... great reply from Spa Cycles, and a good price as well.... so I will see how it goes....

Hello Stuart

The guys in your shop are probably right. Those rider weight limits are pretty conservative so I think you should be OK on your current wheels. If you do want to upgrade then a handbuilt set with Shimano Deore hubs, Exal DC19 rims and Sapim spokes would cost £195 (+£8 extra if you wanted black spokes).

Regards

Sam

Spa Cycles

Top Bottom