Bike weight limits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuarttunstall

Hi

Can someone advise... I am getting a Scott Sub Cross 10 2018 next week which has a weight limit according to the specification of 120KG... Now although I am on a weight loss program, getting down from 27 stone to about 19/20 stone now which puts me on the limit or maybe just over ...FOR NOW... I am still loosing :smile:

Evans Cycles say I will be OK but will need to maybe get the wheels serviced more regular...

My question is if I am over the 120KG still as I have not weighed myself recently, is there a safe margin like all weight related things... i.e it is rated at 120KG what they say is 100% safe but will actually be safe to ride higher, maybe 130KG ? Evans Cycles assistant does say they include a safe margin which would make sense

As I say I am still loosing and it seems quite quick at the moment with 4 days gym :smile:

Stu

Slick

Guru
Congratulations on the continued weight loss. You will be fine on the bike but as you have already been told, you may need to keep a closer eye on the wheels or even better, upgrade to hand built to suit your weight currently. There's a number of people out there who could probably do with the same advice including myself.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I reckon you'll be ok. Bikes are overbuilt to take the strain of not only the riders weight but also incase said rider decides to be adventurous or daring...jumps etc.
Scott state the bike is built to take on touring trips so there's the added strength needed for heavy panniers too.
The wheels may need tweaking from time to time but that depends on your use and how well built they are.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Thank you ... At my last diabetic check up a couple of months ago I was 133KG on there scales, but since then I have pressed on well and suspect I will be getting to around the 120KG now but at most I would say I am around 125-127KG mark ...

Note to self... Use scales at gym and find out lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

I reckon you'll be ok. Bikes are overbuilt to take the strain of not only the riders weight but also incase said rider decides to be adventurous or daring...jumps etc.
Scott state the bike is built to take on touring trips so there's the added strength needed for heavy panniers too.
The wheels may need tweaking from time to time but that depends on your use and how well built they are.

That is what Evans Cycle said... I am hoping I will get below the "limit" of 120KG before too long :smile: I seems to be doing well going by my cloths looking massive again, oh and my trousers falling down easy and another notch used on my belt lol

I think most stuff that has a weight limit is what they guarantee as safe but the item can be designed to take more... just in case...

the_craig

Über Member
As highlighted above, the frame will support you no problem but it will be the wheels that will suffer the most. Speaking to a custom wheel builder means that they will build a wheel that will be pretty much bullet proof with the added back up of fixing any issues.

This guy is pretty cool, his staff are much the same and they understand exactly what's required. Not much use to you in York but more for anyone else in the area looking for a proper job.

http://www.wheelcraft.net

As Slick mentioned, Big Al is a fantastic wheel builder. He told me that he made a wheelset for someone who weighed 30st. I’m sure he does wheels for the British para-athletes too. I’m 100kg and the rear wheel he build me is solid, I’m just waiting on payday to get a new front wheel.

Drago

Legendary Member
Until recently I was a whisker under 117 and had no problems on any bikes or wheels, old or new. Just be sure you get an appropriate frame size and don't ride around on a toddler with acres of seat post showing, as all that leverage and a nice big weight can cause frames to fail around the crossbar/seat tube junction. Other than that, you'll be absolutely fine.

si_c

Guru
I'd not worry about it at all, especially if your weight is trending down. The bike frame should be more than sufficiently well built to handle that sort of weight, the issue is, as Evans said, the wheels.

Speaking of wheels - yes potentially you might run into problems down the road, they may fatigue quicker leading you to replace the spokes sooner than might otherwise be the case. Also worth considering is how you ride the bike, if you keep to smoother road surfaces and bike paths then no problem, but if you are in the habit of jumping off curbs or bunny hopping speed bumps then you'll further reduce the lifespan of the wheels.

Ultimately if you're just getting into cycling, it's not something I would worry about or give too much consideration to. Buy the bike you want and then just keep it maintained.

Kajjal

Guru
It has fairly wide tyres and looks fine. Just ride it and see what happens, trying to keep off anything rough and don’t go off road for the moment. It’s mainly sharp, sudden impacts that can cause problems.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Thank you for all the advice, I am mainly going on roads and at 53 tooooooo old for anything cross country lol .... I think I am only just above the weight limit stated really, and decreasing... must weight myself really to see how well I am doing...

I will keep an eye on things...

Must say I NEVER thought I would become a cyclist again after 35 years plus, but I am looking forward to it...especially now as I had a message from Evans Cycles when I asked if it would arrive earlier now the website say's in remote warehouse :smile:

This is the reply....

"Hello Stuart, The status you see online "remote warehouse" means supplier stock, so they have stock ready and waiting to be sent over to us once an order gets placed. The good news about your bike, is its due in to our main warehouse from the supplier tomorrow. So you should hear from the store next week ( most likely Tuesday) to arrange a collection appointment. Glad to hear you are excited, its a good feeling when you know the bike is just around the corner. Thanks. Jack"

I must say I am impressed with the quality of service I have received from Evans by Email, Facebook messages and in the York store, I would recommend them.. as I would this forum... great advice :smile:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Are Evans willing underwrite anything breaking if you are over the 120kg limit? If they are confident then they will put it in writing as part of the sale. If jot, then they are just after a sale. I would expect the manufacturer to say no if you need to make a claim.

Are Evans willing underwrite anything breaking if you are over the 120kg limit? If they are confident then they will put it in writing as part of the sale. If jot, then they are just after a sale. I would expect the manufacturer to say no if you need to make a claim.

They will be confident that it’s upto the task, but not enough to warrant it.

Top Bottom