Bike you didn't get on with ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My Wilier Izoard XP - I tried so hard once I got it in 2015. The bike looked great but never felt great on the road. It was too staid, too soft and boring, together with always feeling just that little bit too big.

1-IMG_2562.jpg

Once it was mine, not C2W, the Wilier was sold and replaced with a Wilier Montegrappa. The same size officially but felt completely different; better fitting, racier, etc. Definitely harsher to ride but well worth it.

That'll now be sold due to my purchase of a NeilPryde Nazare yesterday.

Anything by Specialized, they have all been disasters

gbb

Legendary Member
Before the explosion of road bike choice we have now I rode old but good Raleighs, Carltons etc and decided I wanted a new modern road ike and at the time was disappointed with the fact they seemed thin on the ground and very expensive...so I grudgingly got a Trek 7100fx.
I quickly realised I'd compromised terribly and hardly used it for about 3 years. It got occasional use and while I still have it now, its ancient and battered and had good use, it was a terrible mistake at the time.

D

Deleted member 1258

Many years ago I built a bike up on a bromidge frame, 531 and I was measured for it. But despite that I could never get on with it, I don't know what was wrong but I was never quick or comfortable on it and it was hard work. In the end I brought a second hand Dawes frame off a club mate, transfered the components off the Bromidge onto the Dawes and gave the Bromidge frame to the local plumber as a payment for a boiler repair. The Dawes was a size too big but was lovely, I had it for 10 years and did some of my best rides on it.

The bromidge

bromidge.jpeg

The Dawes

dawes 2.jpeg

bpsmith

Veteran
Giant Defy 1 for me. It was/is technically a great bike and fitted me well too. I was pretty quick on it, but it never felt that way. I also found it very boring to look at.

Proof that it’s possible to be all substance, Little style?

A second hand Cannondale tourer, never have I felt so much vibration through the handle bars.

delb0y

Legendary Member
When I decided to upgrade the Sun Solo 5 speed that I'd had for about thirty-five years the guy in the LBS sold me a Claud Butler Roubaix with the assurance that I'd be able to get up any of the hills round these parts with the vast range of gearing. The bike turned out to have quite a racy geometry and the double chain set and cassette were equally racy (although the bike was heavy). I failed miserably to get up so many of the hills even after changing to a compact, and putting a bigger cassette on. Worst of all, I had neck-ache permanently. The bike got eBayed and I bought a Tricross. Happy days.

Mrs M

Guru
GT Avalanche mountain bike.
Felt heavy and sluggish and gears were always slipping.
Shop took it back a year later as a trade in for my Felt road bike :smile:
Only gave me £100 off the roadie though :ohmy:

Will Spin

Über Member
Ribble winter sportive for me, the one with the blue aluminium frame. Handlebars way too low for me, wheels rubbish, rear wheel bearings shot after about 500 miles, gear change felt stiff, anything more than 23mm tyres wouldn't fit with mudguards. Gave up struggling with it after a year and bought a Ribble sportive 365 frame and swapped the good parts off the old bike over (err, there weren't that many, handlebars, saddle and that's about it). Built up a nice bike with the new frame, which has done about 6,000 miles now.

Oldbloke

Guru
I currently have one just like it! Giant Propel, too aggressive and stiff for my use / liking and it's for sale!

Same here, it was ok on flat tarmac but was very uncomfortable after an hour or so. Hopeless on hills,, with me on it anyway.

Got shot after a few months, the only thing I liked on it was the Di2.

Top Bottom