Bike you didn't get on with ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My Wilier Izoard XP - I tried so hard once I got it in 2015. The bike looked great but never felt great on the road. It was too staid, too soft and boring, together with always feeling just that little bit too big.

View attachment 384017

Once it was mine, not C2W, the Wilier was sold and replaced with a Wilier Montegrappa. The same size officially but felt completely different; better fitting, racier, etc. Definitely harsher to ride but well worth it.

That'll now be sold due to my purchase of a NeilPryde Nazare yesterday.

I loved my Izoard. What kit was it fitted with as the last thing I thought it was would be soft or boring.

Ribble winter sportive for me, the one with the blue aluminium frame. Handlebars way too low for me, wheels rubbish, rear wheel bearings shot after about 500 miles, gear change felt stiff, anything more than 23mm tyres wouldn't fit with mudguards. Gave up struggling with it after a year and bought a Ribble sportive 365 frame and swapped the good parts off the old bike over (err, there weren't that many, handlebars, saddle and that's about it). Built up a nice bike with the new frame, which has done about 6,000 miles now.

I built a bike with one of those Ribble blue aluminium frames. I did 15miles on it and stripped everything off it and sold the frame. Horrible thing.

xzenonuk

Veteran
Ever brought a bike and quickly thought nah this isn't for me ?

We hear so much as sportive bikes , race geometry, aggressive position ? - some of it marketing hype.

So I wonder if anyone has ever swapped bike purely due to frame geometry

yeh easy question, i bought a muddy fox full susser from argos for 200 quid as i wanted a new bike and knew nothing, i had a ridgeback 602 ex from the 80s which destroyed it in every way possible.

i got a full refund for it after a few months and went and bought a rock rider 540 the same day lol

trying to maintain and keep that peice of crap working taught me a lot though, eg tuning gears brakes and changing bottom brackets etc

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
I tend to try and broach whichever subject is getting between us and we usually come to a sensible compromise. We usually get along ok for a bit after that.

I do all of my commuting on a Genesis Day One Disc, I love it, but it only has one gear so it made sense that for hills a Genesis CdF of the same model year would be perfect.

I was wrong. Did no more than 150 miles before it was sold on for half what I paid new.

Levo-Lon

Guru
This , i was told i needed a 54....no i needed a 52/53 tops
It was ok but it just hurt.

1429195395891.jpg

mustang1

Guru
I've liked all my bikes all the way from being a kid all the way to the latest bunch of bikes I have as an adult.

But the ones I've liked the least we're the CX ones though I think they would have been much nicer after wheel upgrades.

Bought a Giant Revive many years ago because of its futuristic looks. A ebay auction win. On the first ride realised I truly hated it. Not only did you look like a complete idiot on it but it was heavy and very slow so people had time to see you as an idiot. The ride quality was terrible in that it was more spongy than a cheap dual suspension bike and going up steep hills felt like the front wheel had lost all traction a bit like the old Chopper except without the bonus that you could do easy wheelies. Still absolutely adore the look of them though. Sold on for what I paid for it I think give or take and it was an experience I don't regret but not a keeper for me.

giant-revive-gniezno-449903034.jpg

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Bought a Giant Revive many years ago because of its futuristic looks. A ebay auction win. On the first ride realised I truly hated it. Not only did you look like a complete idiot on it but it was heavy and very slow so people had time to see you as an idiot. The ride quality was terrible in that it was more spongy than a cheap dual suspension bike and going up steep hills felt like the front wheel had lost all traction a bit like the old Chopper except without the bonus that you could do easy wheelies. Still absolutely adore the look of them though. Sold on for what I paid for it I think give or take and it was an experience I don't regret but not a keeper for me.

View attachment 384594
Wow, that is one fugly bike.

Top Bottom