Bikeability

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My daughter has recently done the Bikeability (née Cycling Proficiency) training at school. She passed L1 but failed L2 and it's left her quite upset and definitely depleted her confidence. According to her account, the tutor was quite poor at explaining what she expected from the children and shut down any attempt at discussion about why a certain decision (around giving way etc) was right or wrong.

Of course, I wasn't there so don't know how fair an assessment of the tutor's attitude and ability this is, and I appreciate that often children (and adults) will see themselves as having been wronged whenever they face failure or criticism. That said, I feel sure that if I had been there that over the allotted 2 days I would have been able to guide my daughter to a level where she would have passed the second stage, as I know from our rides together how good her bike handling skills are and how well she listens and responds.

It's come at a bad time as we had just started to venture out onto local roads together at weekends. Just last weekend we had a lovely 7 mile ride to the swimming baths and back, marred only by some plank blasting his horn right behind us, which terrified her. He was beeping at another car but my daughter thought it was aimed at us and was rather shaken up. That, plus now the the partial Bikeability failure, has put her off riding on roads altogether at present.

On the positive side, I think it's great that cycling skills are being embedded into school education again, and children encouraged to cycle to school. And some of the free booklets that came with the course have been quite fun for us to complete together and have improved her knowledge of road signs, bike parts etc.

Another thought I did have is that it would be useful if all parents/carers whose children were doing Bikeability could be issued a booklet several weeks beforehand with pictures and info about road positioning in different circumstances, the exact expectations around signalling (one of the reasons my daughter failed L2 was for checking behind her while signalling - I do this all the time and had totally forgotten about the test expecting you to have both hands on the bars whenever looking behind. Silly of me I guess, but reminders of this kind of detail would have allowed us to practice such things together n the run up to the course), highway code info relating to cars and cycles overtaking each other (minimum distances etc - this could be useful to parents who drive in terms of making them more aware about local children who are just starting to use roads and about considerate driving around cyclists generally).

Anyway, I've blathered on long enough. I'd be interested to hear other parents' experiences of Bikeability, positive and negative, how it's affected your child's cycling enthusiasm and/or skill level, ideas for improvements/additions etc. Anyone involved in designing or teaching the course that can offer any insights too maybe?

Cheers,

Andy

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've no parental experience of Bikeability, but I have looked quite closely at it (and at Norfolk's rather variable cycling proficiency alternative) and as I understand it, people don't fail Bikeability. They just don't achieve a level and get told what they need to do to achieve it next time - have you seen the paperwork? It should explain the reasons and then you might have more basis for a discussion and whether the decision was justifiable.

That said, I feel sure that if I had been there that over the allotted 2 days I would have been able to guide my daughter to a level where she would have passed the second stage, as I know from our rides together how good her bike handling skills are and how well she listens and responds.
Oh quite probably. 2 days of one-to-one tuition is always going to have better results than 2 days of one trainer per 6 children or whatever it is near you.

It's come at a bad time as we had just started to venture out onto local roads together at weekends. Just last weekend we had a lovely 7 mile ride to the swimming baths and back, marred only by some plank blasting his horn right behind us, which terrified her. He was beeping at another car but my daughter thought it was aimed at us and was rather shaken up. That, plus now the the partial Bikeability failure, has put her off riding on roads altogether at present.
That's a shame. Please remind her that such noisy motorists even make old farts like me jump... I just try to remember that the motorists are in sound-reducing boxes and don't realise how noisy they are. Also, it's sometimes someone I know trying to say hello nicely and failing because the only noise their car makes is HONNNNNK so I try to:
smileandwave.jpg

Another thought I did have is that it would be useful if all parents/carers whose children were doing Bikeability could be issued a booklet several weeks beforehand with pictures and info about road positioning in different circumstances, the exact expectations around signalling (one of the reasons my daughter failed L2 was for checking behind her while signalling - I do this all the time and had totally forgotten about the test expecting you to have both hands on the bars whenever looking behind. Silly of me I guess, but reminders of this kind of detail would have allowed us to practice such things together n the run up to the course), highway code info relating to cars and cycles overtaking each other (minimum distances etc - this could be useful to parents who drive in terms of making them more aware about local children who are just starting to use roads and about considerate driving around cyclists generally).
I know it's not quite what you ask for, but the standards used can be downloaded from http://bikeability.org.uk/publications/ if you want to practice before her next attempt.

Drago

Legendary Member
Tell her not to be too crestfallen. Its mickey mouse stuff. With some careful parental advice and practice her practical abilities will quickly outclass anything in Bikeability.

Get her a copy of cyxlecraft and go through it with her. CYclecraft is starting to creak a bit with age, and despite some recent updates still has the odd spot of outdated guidance, butnp generally speaking its good stuff. Its good that she asks questions in order to validate her learning.

Good luck

Another thought I did have is that it would be useful if all parents/carers whose children were doing Bikeability could be issued a booklet several weeks beforehand with pictures and info about road positioning in different circumstances, the exact expectations around signalling ...
Sometimes the simplest ideas are simply brilliant. ^_^

OK - there's a small huge problem that not all most parents won't read it, and possibly probably won't remember it, and certainly fail to make the connection with their own driving. Oh sh!t - I've just talked myself out of it. :sad:

Except ... those TFL safety tips (can't find 'em any more :sad:)? On, dunno, six credit-card-sized cards. No long sentences. No long lists of bullet points. In fact, barely any words. Just the absolute basics -
Cyclists-ride-centrally-on-narrow-lanes200x300.jpg

Title card -

"Six things your child will learn.

Six things your child needs from other road-users.

Every cyclist is somebody's son or daughter."

Or summat. That's a 2 minute brain-storm. DO NOT LET THE WORDSMITHS OR THE PROFESSIONALS ANYWHERE NEAR IT :laugh:. KISS!

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
people don't fail Bikeability. They just don't achieve a level and get told what they need to do to achieve it next time
I think you're right, but I don't think there usually is any 'next time' - at least not via the schools. Though I guess it would be possible to find an external local provider and book a weekend course or similar.

I know it's not quite what you ask for, but the standards used can be downloaded from http://bikeability.org.uk/publications/ if you want to practice before her next attempt.
Gah! I'm kicking myself now. I totally should have looked online beforehand. Those documents are nothing like the simple, pictoral, user-friendly things I had in mind, but they do spell out all the objectives/required skills, which would have been useful to know in advance. Thanks.

Is this complaint not one of the reasons why children rarely fail at anything now?
Sorry if my post came across as a whinge. It wasn't meant as such, just as a summary of our experience of the scheme and a call for others to share theirs. I'm not griping that she didn't pass L2 - some kids in her group did and some didn't. If she didn't nail all the objectives then I'm fine with that. I also recognise that this fetish we seem to have developed for protecting kids from failure is misguided - learning to accept failure and ensure that it drives positive change/improvement is a key skill in adult life. Modern society's terror at the notion of failure is a real problem - how many moral developments and technical innovations would never have come about if people were never prepared to risk trying something and failing?

Get her a copy of cyxlecraft
I'd never heard of it but have just ordered a copy. Cheers.

Slick

Guru
Sorry @EasyPeez, it did come across that way to me but after reading your response I was way of the mark. I totally agree with your sentiments. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Are there professional parents these days?

If there were I'm pretty sure we'd know about it, as they'd be striking due to unfair pay and working conditions.

Sandra6

Veteran
Not to put your child down further, but this is the first time I've heard of a child failing.
Have you contacted the school or instructors to ask why she failed? without knowing what she did wrong it's difficult to help her move past it.
Locally they do bikeability in the last year of primary and then again in the first year of secondary, if they want, depending on her age she may get another go.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Tell her not to be too crestfallen. Its mickey mouse stuff. With some careful parental advice and practice her practical abilities will quickly outclass anything in Bikeability.

Unfortunate attitude to take there, as it is certainly not "mickey mouse" stuff. It is the start of a process of learning to deal with situations on road and develop coping strategies, recognise and process hazards, and make decisions based on information gained whilst riding. I doubt that a lot of parents ride in a manner that is commensurate with the National Standard - certainly I see bad riding on a daily basis.

What concerns me though, is that the instructor didn't allow your daughter to achieve level 2 for something that is not in the National Standard. There is nothing in the National Standard about having both hands on the handlebar when looking behind, merely that the trainee has to be able to maintain a straight line whilst looking behind. Indeed some people have to take a hand off the bars to look behind due to restricted neck/back movement. The instructor in this case was not delivering level 2 training to the National Standard.

Find out from your daughter's school who the training provider is and make a complaint to Steer Davies Gleave (they are the consultants who administrate Bikeability on behalf of the DfT) as the instructor will no doubt be "failing" a lot of other children incorrectly and acting outside the remit of the National Standard. Bikeability schemes are audited on a regular basis, and instructors are observed delivering training. A complaint like this will raise a red flag that SDG will want to look at closely - they have the wherewithall to remove a schemes registration and prevent access to funding (there are cowboy firms, usually one man bands, who are gradually being brought to heel or put out of business out there.) An instructor who is teaching the wrong things is more dangerous than any regular motorist your daughter may come across.

Top Bottom