bikehike down?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
yep it's down at the mo. Was ok yesterday

Holdsworth

Über Member
Down for me since yesterday as well. A shame as I really like the twin maps and elevation/gradient view. BTW how do people find the accuracy of the that feature?

Down for me since yesterday as well. A shame as I really like the twin maps and elevation/gradient view. BTW how do people find the accuracy of the that feature?

I've found a big discrepancy between bike hike and bikeroutetoaster elevations. Having then cycled the routes (100 mile + legs), and checked against the GPS, it tends to show bike hike is under-estimating the elevations by at least 20%. This is using the OS mapping.

fixillated

Looks like bikehike.co.uk's hosting provider stopped supporting the site. Their nameservers don't resolve the name and if I try its old IP address I get "hosting for this domain is not configured".

Holdsworth

Über Member
Shame, I have switched to using RidewithGPS for the time being because of it's elevation and gradient info that plots the exact position of such features on the maps, much like BH. I wonder if/when it will be back online?

fixillated

Shame, I have switched to using RidewithGPS for the time being because of it's elevation and gradient info that plots the exact position of such features on the maps, much like BH. I wonder if/when it will be back online?

I'm just plotting a route with bikeroutetoaster and miss some of the familiar actions. I'll try RidewithGPS later. Bikehike doesn't look like a temporary outage but more like not renewing the hosting arrangement. Impossibly to guess whether he just forgot it, doesn't have the time to maintain the site or wants to save the hosting costs. I'm sure quite a few cyclists would be happy to contribute to the running costs, I certainly would.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
So - is that the end of Bikehike? I will really miss it. Is there any other site that combines OS and Google maps? It was incredibly useful when it came to planning new routes.

PpPete

Legendary Member
So - is that the end of Bikehike? I will really miss it. Is there any other site that combines OS and Google maps? It was incredibly useful when it came to planning new routes.

Me too - by far and away the most useful route planning site.
The only one I'd have been happy to pay a subscription for.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Since losing Bikehike I have been using mapometer to check out routes. No OS maps however. Being able to check the topography was such a useful feature of BH, the Google maps are too simplistic.

Top Bottom