Bikes and beer - mini tour of Flanders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
How to exit Dunkirk port on a bike
(Very important to get this right, if you follow the cycle signs you will end up on the motorway!)

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/d...lle-cycle-suggestions-pls.242784/post-5454206

Brains

Legendary Member
I'd go the quieter way out of the port, visit the Wormhout memorial and use one of the N roads (mostly cycle lanes on both) between Poperinge and Ypres instead of zigzagging on back roads. Everyone's a critic! ;)

^_^
The routes are what we planned!
What we actually did was slightly different.
The new planned exit from the port is what we did coming back
(having almost ended up on the motorway by stupidly following the cyclist signs on the way out).
We also avoided a lot of the zig zags as we found the more main French roads had decent cycle paths along side

The idea of going across country though was a lot better than the coastal route than most automated cycle planners suggest

andrew_s

Legendary Member
My Dunkirk to Ypres route:
https://cycle.travel/map/journey/9508

The port exit is actually at the next roundabout south of the route start. It's best if you get in the LH lane before leaving the port gates, so you can turn left at the roundabout without having to get past all of the other traffic that's going straight on (south).

It was planned to take us via a rather good bar at via point 5.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
To celebrate @Almartino getting a job for September, I have booked us a little bike tour for May half term. We are driving down to the south coast, staying in Deal over night and catching the early morning ferry to Dunkirk (leaving the car in Dover).
From there, ride to Ypres and stay for 2 nights then Ypres to Bruges, stay for 3 nights and then the coast road back to Dunkirk. We are staying in Airbnbs - so touring for softies!
Sounds great - have fun!

PS I have organised a long forum ride from Garforth for this Saturday and we will be riding as far north as Spofforth, so very close to your neck of the woods. You'd both be welcome to join us for some (or all) of the route! If you are interested and free, pop along to the rides forum and sign up there. :okay:

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
Sounds great - have fun!

PS I have organised a long forum ride from Garforth for this Saturday and we will be riding as far north as Spofforth, so very close to your neck of the woods. You'd both be welcome to join us for some (or all) of the route! If you are interested and free, pop along to the rides forum and sign up there. :okay:
I saw that Colin. Unfortunately, we both have gigs with rehearsals in the afternoon.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
You' re right to visit Bruges while you are there. Much nicer than Ghent.
I’d certainly visit Ghent, much nicer than Bruges (and Ghent has a great Jazz festival). Agree that the canal cycling is fab!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
Think I may be just about done playing pannier Tetris! We set off tomorrow once @Almartino has finished swearing at the Garmin!
Thanks for all the routes and tips from everyone - they have been very useful.
IMG_4386.JPG

Top Bottom