Bikes and Trains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Any reason for doing train one way and 28miles home rather than half-half (i.e. pick a middle station and then leave the bike there while you're at work, train back there and pedal the rest of the way home)? Aside from (of course) possible bike theft and needing to be on the first train out!

In case the trains do get full and you are 'denied boarding'... what are the locking facilities like at the station? You'd need to catch the train both ways then of course, but at least you wouldn't be late for work.

OP
OP
lpjr

lpjr

Regarding the above, when I get off the train I will have a 4 mile ride. Therefore, halfway idea not an option. I am quite optimistic as I will be on the 5.20am train which I hope will be quiet.

lukepinkhandbag

These days I take my Brompton on any train journey confident in the knowledge that I'm getting on no matter what. I've ridden my Brommy on hilly 50 mil plus days and thoroughly enjoyed myself. There are lots of us out there using Bromptons as first choice bikes no matter the distance and if you do find the going a little tough you get the bus.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I am Spartacus said:
Personally, I side with normal passengers .. bikes can get in the way bad style on trains...

I get this attitude quite often.

"Your bike's in the way"
"Of what ?"
"Of me sitting down"
"But this is the bike area"
"Then why are there fold-up seats there?"
"To use when there's no bike there, which there is now"

Oh, and i am a normal passenger, i just happen to have got to the station on a bike.

paddy01

Can't comment on the sitaution in your neck of the woods, but for the last 2 weeks I've been cycle -> train -> cycle commuting to work.

I live in Devon and the train I use is a First Great Western service. It's a branch line though, not a mainline train.

Having not used public transport in at least 14 or 15 years I was sceptical to say the least but it's actually been a very positive experience. I ride a full sized, non-folding MTB.

Bikes travel for free on these services, there's no requirement to book and I've not had a single instance where I've felt there's any chance I'd be denied a place for the bike. Normally there's only 2 carriages on this service and the bike spaces (although not dedicated as such) are at one end or the other.

Often there can be 4 or more bikes on one of these small services but everyone seems happy to muck in together to accomodate everyones needs even if things can get a little snug at times.

I suspect partly it's living in the area I do where the pace of life is just that little bit slower, it seems to take the edge off most people attitudes.

Good luck with the plan :laugh:

Matthames

Über Member
upsidedown said:
I get this attitude quite often.

"Your bike's in the way"
"Of what ?"
"Of me sitting down"
"But this is the bike area"
"Then why are there fold-up seats there?"
"To use when there's no bike there, which there is now"

Oh, and i am a normal passenger, i just happen to have got to the station on a bike.

I had to get somebody to give up one of those fold up seats once. This was so I could position my bike so that somebody else could use the toilet.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I very much doubt that the first train of the day will be any busier than a handful of extra people. They use the first train to make sure that they have put the tracks back in the right place from the night before, so have to make sure that it is quiet, so they don't hurt too many people if it isn't.

(the last bit is a lie, the first bit isn't)

g00se

Veteran
lpjr said:
What is British Rail like with bikes these days, I have noticed the old postal carrriage is gone where I use to stick my bike as a kid.

I am Spartacus said:
Jeesus, how old are you???

He's probably as old as the trains they run on my line into London - as we've got the postal/baggage carriages with room for god-knows how many bikes :wacko:

Had one yesterday on the 1828 Windsor was quite surpirsed to see a passenger board with a bike in the rush hour but as no one said anything about it I minded my own.Also no complaints.This person got off one stop from the end.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
BrumJim said:
I very much doubt that the first train of the day will be any busier than a handful of extra people. They use the first train to make sure that they have put the tracks back in the right place from the night before, so have to make sure that it is quiet, so they don't hurt too many people if it isn't.

(the last bit is a lie, the first bit isn't)

That's true, they roll the rails up each night. To stop people nicking them, I suppose. Or to stop them going rusty with the early-morning dew.
It must work, the tracks always look lovely and shiny.
What?

Catty

Merseyrail are great for cyclists.

Since they refurbed their trains, there's now spaces for 4 cycles.

Though one bloke told me to move my bike when he wanted to put his pushchair there, but i just pointed to the sign that said bikes only.

I don't mind bikes on trians but I don't agree with bikes being put on trains in the rush hour,depending on how packed the train is though.

purplepolly

TheDoctor said:
That's true, they roll the rails up each night. To stop people nicking them, I suppose. Or to stop them going rusty with the early-morning dew.

It's actually to stop someone knicking them ;)

I once got stuck on train going into Manchester for about an hour north of Stockport one weekday morning because some idiots had knicked the signal cableling. This was on the mainline into piccadilly so there was a bloke with a flag waving through just about every train that goes into the station causing massive backlogs of traffic.

The last laugh was on the thieves though. The reason they stole it was because it used to be made of copper which can be sold on for a decent price. But it had recently been upgraded to fibre optic.

They tentd to nick the cable purplepolly as there is a good price for copper apparently.

I remember them doing it at Basingstoke a few years ago.

Top Bottom