Bikes and Trains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lpjr

Hello,

I am thinking of buying a bike for commuting. My journey will be a little too long for a bike both ways. So my plan is to cycle to my local station and use the train. I would be on the Preston - Manchester line on the first train of the day. I would then cycle the full journey home. 28 miles. What is British Rail like with bikes these days, I have noticed the old postal carrriage is gone where I use to stick my bike as a kid. Will there be situations where I will not be permitted on the train with a bike. I do not have a tolerant work so missing the train is not an option.
Any feedback welcome.

HobbesChoice

There are times, mainly what they decide is rush hour, when non-folding bikes won't be allowed on the train but each line has different times. Have a look at the website of your particular line. In mine (C2C rail) the details are on the Q&A page.

Good luck with the commute. 28 miles is a fair old way each day so congratulations on that, especially starting in the winter! :wacko:

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Hello

I'm a daily train user in the Midlands, so can't help on your area.
With a 28 mile return leg a folder is out of the question (although somebody will be along shortly to say that a Brompton is perfect for 28 miles).

Depends very much on the train type, London Midland have 2 types, 1 has an open cattle truck type area with 3 foldup seats, you just sit there and ignore the office workers moaning when they get on in town.

The other type has a rack that holds 2 bikes.

I think if you're arriving in town ouutside of the main rush hour you should be ok.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Two companies use the route: Transpennine Express and Northern

I hope you are an early bird, as the first service is at 5:16.

Unfortunately the TPE web site is particularly difficult to navigate, but it does say that you need to pre-book. Northern appears to be more flexible - first come first served, with no pre-booking.

Wikipedia

Northern Line FAQs

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Northern are excellent, and will carry you as long as you don't block the aisles etc (although there are frequent murmurings about passenger complaints possibly forcing them to stick to the 2 per train, first come first served policy on their website).

Don't know about trans-pennine. Check out the operator's website and their cycle policy, Look at A-to-B magazine too, which also carries accounts from commuters of how policies are implemented.

http://www.atob.org.uk/Bike_Rail.html

Sadly, bike rail integration in the UK is a bit shoot. The operators aren't interested in carrying you, and the government aren't interested in making them do so (although they're happy for you to park your bike at the station, and not clutter up their trains with it).

First Trans-Pennine Express
Manchester Airport - North East, North West and Scotland
[SIZE=-1]Space is very restricted, with only two bikes allowed on most trains, but they travel free. Reservations must be made at least 24 hours in advance but a recent traveller has been told that one of the two spaces is now first-come, first-served, so you can only book one bike per train.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]There are no special restrictions on folding bikes[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] (From AtoB, see link above)
[/SIZE]

biking_fox

Guru
Pretty sure you'll be fine on the Northern cattletrucks. very much dependant on how busy the train is and how arsey the conductor's feeling. I've never had a problem with them - other than finding what they laughably call the 'bike carridge' (it's unlabelled and may occur anywhere along the train). Though they aren't the most punctual of operators. Probably best to just ask at the station on the day you're doing your test ride - always worth doing!

If there's a 'Cross Country' service it will be quicker. But you will need to book - although there maybe a hard to find exception for regular commuters.

Brains

Legendary Member
Re buying the bike:

There are bikes that can fold and folding bikes

Those that can fold are great for putting in the back of the car to go on holiday, but can take a couple of minutes (or more) to put back together, and then there are bikes designed for being folded or unfolded in under 30 seconds several times a day,you need one of the latter, in which case Brompton is the market leader

If you can find a second hand one at a sensible price (they hold their value well), I'd buy that and use it for a few months before you then go out and buy what you really really want

Matthames

Über Member
There is a leaflet you can pick up at your local station which details about all the different train operating company's cycle policies. It is called cycling by train.

Just had a look at the leaflet, TPE's policy is reservations recommended. So you don't have to have a reservation if you don't want to, just it could get busy and people with reservations get priority. I have been on trains of the same design which had more bikes than there were spaces available without a reservation, you might get a few dirty looks though. It also reminds me of a time I boarded a train with a bike loaded with luggage, the train was already full, as were the bike racks. There were about 6 or 7 bikes on this train which was also packed as full as a train you would expect in India.

OP
OP
lpjr

lpjr

Looking at the time table I would be on the 1st train of the day. The 2nd one is about 15 mins too late, typical. It is a TPE, I am hoping at that time it will not be too busy.

Good luck with the commute. 28 miles is a fair old way each day so congratulations on that, especially starting in the winter! :thumbsup:
Did I say each day. Maybe every other day at first.
Thanks for the replies. Just what bike now. Thinking Cycle cross. Posted a thread there.
Any comments on lights.
cheers.

OP
OP
lpjr

lpjr

Don't think I made myself clear regarding lights above. Part on my trip home would be on the Canal in the dark so good lights are important. Any tips on that.
Cheers.

lpjr said:
Don't think I made myself clear regarding lights above. Part on my trip home would be on the Canal in the dark so good lights are important. Any tips on that.
Cheers.
The "Flashing Cycle Lights" thread below is a good starting point, or there's one called "Lights to See By" in "Know How" or "Bikes, Kit and Accessories". And one in "Beginners" about night time rides.

Most people seem to go with (as a minimum) two front, two rear. One steady and one flashing at each end when on the road, also giving the option of two steady fronts when off-road. This also gives you some redundancy should one fail for whatever reason.

I add a head torch (helmet mounted £8 Tesco AA jobby) to my two Cateye fronts for off road use 'cos it gives me light where I'm looking. And is useful for repair work and so forth.

:thumbsup:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Lazy-Commuter said:
TOne steady and one flashing at each end when on the road, also giving the option of two steady fronts when off-road. This also gives you some redundancy should one fail for whatever reason.
Yep.

The brain habituates surprisingly easily to an "always there" stimulus, so a flasher helps attract attention to your presence.

Flashing lights are a bit harder for the viewer to use to judge speed and distance by though, so pairing with a steady light is a good idea.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
lpjr said:
I have noticed the old postal carrriage is gone where I use to stick my bike as a kid. .

Jeesus, how old are you???

Personally, I side with normal passengers .. bikes can get in the way bad style on trains...
I am all for bike commuting tho' so you SHOULD consider a
folding bike then you know you will be able to get on the train whatever the capacity of it is.

There is a cost to dedicated bike of course ..not cheap but you are saving the planet for which we are grateful.
I have seen a single speed folder.. can't remember its name tho'
some of the folding bikes are well over complicated

purplepolly

lpjr said:
Will there be situations where I will not be permitted on the train with a bike. I do not have a tolerant work so missing the train is not an option.

If there's engineering work or a problem on the line then you won't be allowed to take a non-folder on the replacement bus, and there's unlikely to be room for a folder.

One thing to consider is where the train starts. If it starts at Preston then it'll be more reliable and quieter first thing in the morning. If it's one of the TPEs that come from the lake district or wherever then it will be less reliable in wintry weather and they'll be less room.

Top Bottom