bikes are a hygiene risk....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's a pity they've used this lame reasoning. Using food hygiene as an excuseI dilutes valid food hygiene issues. It's their shop, they can make any rule they like without justification. A simple no bikes allowed in the store would have been sufficient.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
After having his dinner buying efforts thwarted at the Sainsbury’s near Paddington Station, Edouard Guidon‏ (@edouardminh) took to Twitter to complain.

Guidon messaged the supermarket, saying: “[There was] nowhere convenient to lock my bike while I wait for my train so took it into your shop whilst I picked something to eat for dinner. Told I couldn’t take my bike in. Congrats on losing a sale and a customer!”

Read more at https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/...omers-remove-shoes-421897#HcteAVy7qPOUjKua.99

Now does that mean dinner as in something like pie and peas, or dinner as in 'an invite to dinner'? :scratch:

I had this argument with some scruffy git down my local pub a few years ago. There he was in his scrap yard oily clothing which he always wore:headshake:. As I wheeled my bike with 25mm tyres into the pub he said "Don't bring that f..k..g thing in here with all that sh.t on those f..k..g tyres"! I pointed out to the drunken idiot that the tyres were very slim and with little tread,so they hardly picked up unwanted stuff off the road. I also pointed out that his attire was filthy and would have far more bacteria carrying potential than my bike's tyres. :thanks:

I bet Sainsbury's doesn't mind that unhygienic practise of shoppers letting their children stand in the shopping trollies. Also,i bet they don't jet wash their trollies or baskets every now and then,to remove bacteria and spillage marks. Some stores have filthy baskets! I always hand gel anti bac my hands after using them. No this smells like anti cyclist stuff to me! I bet the one who decided on this policy is a lard arse AUDI/BMW driving anti cyclist git!!:ninja:

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Also, are the stores going to jet wash the trollies everytime they are wheeled across the carpark/ street back to the store?

D

Deleted member 26715

Sorry but I find these things so pathetic, you don't get what you want so you take to twatter & fecesbook to say how hard done by are you, Jeez grow-up, did anybody die?

p.s. Having a grumpy day, got to go to a fake wedding that I don't really want to.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Then we have 'the salad bar' to consider. Bacteria covered hands touching the utensils used to pick the salad up,then we have cross infection. Not forgetting the coughing and the sneezing on the stuff!! Why didn't Sainsbury's just use the old health and safety 'Someone could fall over it' excuse to ban bikes? That one is usually accepted,even though shoppers can fall over buggies,wheel chairs,mobility scooters,pallets etc etc.

I think someone should organise a critical mass protest/gathering outside this particular store!:ninja:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

TWhy didn't Sainsbury's just use the old health and safety 'Someone could fall over it' excuse to ban bikes?
Or even the honest one, "Sorry I have no idea why bikes are banned, but they are, can you please leave it outside, Thank you very much"

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I once had a security guard chase me the length of a Sainsbury's Superstore, I'd finished a 12hr nightshift and popped in to get a bottle of Whisky, the fella spotted me as I went in and began to follow me calling out "Oi" but I still had my headphones on so kept walking briskly (no music but they're still on my head) I got to the far end of the store where the booze is kept, grabbed a bottle and carried on up that aisle then turned at the end and made my way to the tills reaching the one closest to the door that was in use (with no queue)

The girl on the till had scanned the bottle and I'd got a £20 out before he caught me up and (red faced and puffing) he said "You can't bring bikes in ere mate" I took my change and (removing my silent headphones) said "What" as I put the bottle in my pannier he repeated what he'd said and I just replied "Oh" and went out.

I bet that was the most exercise he'd had in a while. :laugh:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Sorry but I find these things so pathetic, you don't get what you want so you take to twatter & fecesbook to say how hard done by are you, Jeez grow-up, did anybody die?

p.s. Having a grumpy day, got to go to a fake wedding that I don't really want to.
Maybe a polite email to the manager explaining the situation and asking them to consider improving the bike parking facilities? Not as catchy I admit.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Certainly if my personal experience is anything to go by, the germs on the hands of a number of males would be far worse than my bike's tyres. So many times have I heard a flush and then seen an individual leave a cubicle and then straight out of the door without even a nod to the washing facilities.

Top Bottom