Bikes n trains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BenScoobert

As a train driver I feel I have to say something to help some of you avoid disappointment.

This weekend has been particulary bad for groups of cyclists turning up and expecting all of them to get on with bikes. When I say groups, I've personally had a group of 8 at one station, but reports of 20 are not uncommon.

So my advice for you is factor in to your plan that you may not all get the same train and the rest may have to go on the next one in 30 mins.
Trains are not primarily designed to take so many bikes, usually 4 at most, and you need to consider that when planning group outings like I see.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
There's been quite a few groups at Brid lately, prob due to popularity of the WOTR. I've not seen or heard of any left behind yet, but it's bound to happen with some of the conductors we have working out of Hull.
My advice to groups travelling with bikes on 'local' trains is to remove any panniers etc & top & tail bikes in allocated area & you should be ok with 4 bikes :thumbsup:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Only with certain train operators does it seem to be a problem.
Southern and South Eastern train are excellent when it comes to bikes. The guards have no problem if you fill the train up completely with bikes. We have had over 20 on trains with those companies with no problems.

Top Bottom