Bikes on Ferries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
crossing from Spain to Portugal across the Guadiana.
68-DSCF5970__Large__JPG?v=1.jpg

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
And let me assure you arriving on time, and being required to stand in a queue until I was the only one in the queue and last to board is one of the most tedious ways of passing three hours.
My only way of revenge was not to spend a penny in their cafeteria and never to set foot on their ferry again, Stromness 2000, B*******.:evil::boxing:

Revenge? Spend a penny in their cafeteria.

Been over to Jersey on a trike, straight to the front then donuts on the car deck on the trike, staff couldn't be more helpful, they all loved the trike and held the cars well back for departure as well.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've used the cross channel ferries a lot and never been refused a spot with my bike. As far as I am aware, none of the cross channel ferry companies actually has a 'limit' as such.
What happened was website wouldn't let me book my bike, so I phoned them and they told me all bike spaces were taken.

Afterwards a mate of mine, who works as crew on organised supported rides, told me that his ride was going on the self same ferry with about 20 riders, so that may have been the reason. It was Newhaven-Dieppe and not long before the finale of the TdF so I imagine that is peak time for cyclists going to Paris.

I seem to remember the Fridays were travelling around the same time and had similar problems (but I may have made that up).

So there is a limit, somewhere in the system. I just think you have to be very unlucky to hit it.

Montydog

Thinking of taking a trip over to Isle of Man , liverpool to Douglas and return trip to Heysham . Anyone have any experience of this and any tips advice . Cheers

:hello: done this crossing over last 5 years and will be going again this year...but on motorbike:laugh: not cycle......i prefer going from Heysham and coming back there but not much in it....Heysham boat slower than the Liverpool one and old but good fun.....they strap motorbikes down well but always take rags to put under straps to protect:okay:

love the Isle of Man and if your going the sunsets in Peel are beautiful:smile:

also 10th July there is the Lighthouse Challenge ride....100 miles:bicycle:

StuartG

slower but further
As far as I am aware, none of the cross channel ferry companies actually has a 'limit' as such.
Ahem, that is untrue. The upside was when Newhaven-Dieppe wouldn't book a bike place for a ride I was committed to - I took the Brommie as 'hand luggage' instead. That's how I discovered the bike I normally kept in the boot of the car for short rides was a rather splendid touring machine with no limits but me.

Reactions: mjr

StuartG

slower but further
Ahem, that is untrue. The upside was when Newhaven-Dieppe wouldn't book a bike place for a ride I was committed to - I took the Brommie as 'hand luggage' instead. That's how I discovered the bike I normally kept in the boot of the car for short rides was a rather splendid touring machine with no limits but me.
I forgot to add the downside is foot passengers are last on. So no place at the bar unless you are a friend of @User

mmmmartin

Random geezer
It should also be added that the speeds that can be reached by @StuartG on the small-wheeled Brompton can be quite breathtaking. Especially after a lunch in which red wine was consumed. A Brompton is also light enough to be easily lifted: to wit -

14667877842_69159a2a80.jpg

Who runs the Isle of Man Ferries? IoM Steam Packet Co? That's what wiki says ... and quick search shows ...

https://www.steam-packet.com/FAQs#bikes

Can I take my bicycle with me?

Bicycles are carried free of charge when accompanied by a fare paying foot passenger. Passengers are advised to dismount and push their bicycles when embarking or disembarking from the vessel.

I've always had to book my bike separately on cross channel ferries though (and have in the past been refused because all the bike spaces were full).

Steam packet run from heysham. Usually Ben my chree about 4 hours but sometimes the fast cat mannan. I live near Morecambe and use heysham to go to Isle of Man for TT. Also it's great to catch a 2:15am crossing, sleep on boat then arrive early morning for breakfast and spend the day cycling the beautiful island or the 37 & 3/4 mile TT course. Catch the evening ferry home. But then I only live 15 mins from port.

It's a beautiful place, I love it and miss not been there

Be aware though it can be one rough crossing. And last year for TT practice some ferries were cancelled or ran late due to weather and that's in June !!!!!!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The overnight Stena ferry from Harwich to The Hoek is entirely wonderful. I've never had to wait more than fifteen minutes to be waved on, no matter how many cars are being loaded. That might possibly be because the entire crew are Dutch.:smile: The vehicle deck people are very helpful but it's a good idea to take a couple of lengths of nylon cord because road bike bars don't fit too well in the racks.
BTW, it's a really well run ship. Lovely staff. They even have a smoking lounge next to the bar. Very civilised if you are that way inclined.

Montydog

Steam packet run from heysham. Usually Ben my chree about 4 hours but sometimes the fast cat mannan. I live near Morecambe and use heysham to go to Isle of Man for TT. Also it's great to catch a 2:15am crossing, sleep on boat then arrive early morning for breakfast and spend the day cycling the beautiful island or the 37 & 3/4 mile TT course. Catch the evening ferry home. But then I only live 15 mins from port.

It's a beautiful place, I love it and miss not been there

Be aware though it can be one rough crossing. And last year for TT practice some ferries were cancelled or ran late due to weather and that's in June !!!!!!

with you on this....i do the 2.15am crossing for southern 100 :okay:

Lighthouse challenge ride is July 10th...100miles:bicycle:

Top Bottom