Bikes on Ferries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamesxyz

Anyone ever taken their bike in a car ferry (not on the car)? Where do you have to put it overnight? Is it secure / looked after? Thinking of getting Hull-Rotterdam ferry next year and doing a bit of continental touring.

stephenjubb

Über Member
lots of times, there are usually designated areas where you tie your cycle up and it stays there for the duration of the trip, you are not allowed to return to the car area until arrival.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Give Auntie Helen a shout.. she took her trike on a ferry to go touring on the continent

jamesxyz said:
Anyone ever taken their bike in a car ferry (not on the car)? Where do you have to put it overnight? Is it secure / looked after? Thinking of getting Hull-Rotterdam ferry next year and doing a bit of continental touring.

womblechops

I left mine where told to on the car desk. As I was chaining it up one of the staff helpfully pointed out "If someone nicks it, where are they going to go?"

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
womblechops said:
I left mine where told to on the car desk. As I was chaining it up one of the staff helpfully pointed out "If someone nicks it, where are they going to go?"

There are lots of accommodating car boots.....

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
jamesxyz said:

Bikes get tied to side railings in designated areas in the ferry. The ferry staff use hessian straps to tie the bikes to the railings but their rope work and knot work leaves a lot to be desired. Once the deck hand moved on the group of cyclists that found myself with removed the straps and re-tied them.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
vernon said:
Bikes get tied to side railings in designated areas in the ferry. The ferry staff use hessian straps to tie the bikes to the railings but their rope work and knot work leaves a lot to be desired. Once the deck hand moved on the group of cyclists that found myself with removed the straps and re-tied them.

He speaks with wisdom.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've normally locked mine to the railings. Mostly Dover-Calais, but I've done the Harwich-Hook one a few times back in the day. A lock and a few bungees keeps it safe and upright.

snorri

Legendary Member
The port and ferry crews will direct you as required, just look out for their signals.
The best tip I can offer is ...know where you have parked your bike on the ferry, ie remember which end of the ferry you cycled in to, forward or aft, which vehicle deck you parked on, and which side. This knowledge can help avoid a panic situation at the port of arrival as you try to find your bike. :blush::biggrin::biggrin:

I've never locked my bike on a ferry, and only take off the bike any bag I might require for overnight use.
I have great faith.:blush:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
jamesxyz,

No need to worry.

I went from Harwich to Hook of Holland last month on the overnight Stena ferry. I am a complete beginner, and I worried, but there was no need.

You are guided onto the ferry to a place that has rails, and there are ropes with which to tie the bike. I locked mine up as well, but nobody else did. Some people left their panniers on. Anyway, we were all well away from anywhere where our bikes might be damaged by cars. It was completely easy, but, like you, I did worry like Hell about it beforehand.

Have fun.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
It's very straightforward, as everyone else has said. The best bit is if you can be first off the ferry...there's something very exciting about beating everyone else down the ramp.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Cathryn said:
...there's something very exciting about beating everyone else down the ramp.
Until they all start blatting past you on the exit road from the port!

(Not so bad at the French end, but a bloody nightmare in Dover - odd, because there were, presumably, a lot of the same people at both ends of the journey).

As others have said, leave your bike where directed. I did lock our bikes (on our ferry we were in with the vans, and one of those could have taken a bike in quite easily) - it's probably not necessary, but I was able to relax on the journey then. I took the bar bag with our valuables off the bike, and used a cable lock to secure the panniers. Note that most operators will let you cycle up the ramp, but you have to walk on to the car deck (the deck plating is v. slippery).

Did this with two Bromptons to Jersey recently. Bizarrely, I informed the ferry company in advance that we would have bikes (as you are supposed to) but that they would fold, and therefore what should we do with them. They decided they could come on board but unfolded (!). As they fold and there are lots of car boots about, we locked them once onboard (and folded) on the car deck - didn't see many options on the provided cord front. Take your own cords just in case (on the return leg ours were actually in some kind of crew office) and possibly a lock.

Also, you have to board as a vehicle, so this might mean lots of waiting in a queue with cars (some of whom have parked and are busy getting food in the terminal or whatever, as you're allowed to do); but of course with a bike not so easy to keep place in queue and leave bike behind without coming back to no bike.

I been on loadsa ferries over the past few months - came off the hoek one this morning - just tie the bike up where they say - normally plenty of pieces of rope - I tend to use luggage straps that I carry with me and tie off the brakes so it will not roll - I always leave most of the luggage on it - as far as I can tell its never been touched by anyone - as someone said where are they going to take it and theres often far more attractive bikes attached to the rear of cars and campers

Top Bottom