Bill & Billy's World Tour Across North England

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Angry volcanoes! Raging rapids! Glacier peaked mountains! Sun baked deserts!
The Way of the Roses has none of these. What it does have is an abundance of rolling hills, narrow twisty lanes and gorgeous little towns and villages. Although to be fair, I think the climb out from Settle could give the north face of Everest a run for its money.
Back in early January this year I had this stupid idea of asking my dad (Billy) if he fancied doing a tour with me. A man who only ever used his bike to ride to work and that was only when the car was off the road. But he did say to me once that he'd always dreamed of cycle touring.
So I texted him one night and asked if he fancied doing a tour with me.
"I'd be up for that." was his reply.
WTF just happened? Did my dad just agree to tour with me? OMG! :eek:And so I/we started planning.
Covid nearly scuppered those plans and most of the sites I'd already picked were closed or uncertain due to that pandemic. Other sites were hunted down and booked, and newer, better, expensiver clothes and gear were bought. Sorry @HobbesOnTour but mum turned up the trousers! I tried and failed. :whistle:
A couple weeks before we were due to leave dad informed me of a new (2nd hand) bike he'd bought. Very posh. Handmade frame. Drop bars. 30 gears. Campag throughout. Wait a sec, Campag?:blink: Yep. 52-46-38t chainset and 11-30t cassette. How the bloody hell did he expect to ride those gears on a loaded bike up the hills?
"It's OK, I can push if I need to." was his answer. :huh:
22nd August 8.30am and dad pulls up outside my house having driven up from Penmachno in Wales. I notice his green Dawes Karakoram on the rack.
"What happened?"
"Well, I tried the new bike up the mtb track. It needs work."
"Ahhhh."
Bags and bikes loaded, Pam drove us to Woodies cafe in Caton where we'd start. We decided to skip the first 6-7 miles of Morecambe and Lancaster because of the distance dad had already travelled and to make sure we weren't left cycling to the first site too late. It was already 12 noon.
I was busy getting my last bag onto the bike when dad called over and asked me what that reminded me of. I looked round to see him holding his bike upright and staring at it. It was on the tip of my tongue.
"The Beverly Hillbillies right?" asked dad and we both chuckled.
His Carradice Camper Longflap was packed to bursting and strapped to that via bungee cords was his tent, sleeping mat, coat, water bottle and something else. How the hell it stayed in place was a wonder.
" I hope that's secure!" said dad.
I smiled.
Our fuel for the trip was a bacon and sausage barm washed down with a coffee and after riding around around in circles waiting for my GPS to find a stray satellite we were on our merry way.
The taunting started on the first descent.
"Hahaaaa see ya later slow coach!" I shouted as the Wayfarers weight dragged its arse down the hill like a ton of bricks.
Dad chuckled. Given what happened next, it may have been a sinister laugh. As we made our way up the following hill, he passed me without so much as a strained breath. That buggers been training!
It wasn't long before I was reduced to slowly walking up the hill and as I reached the top I could see dad restrapping his gear to the rack.
"It fell off!"
I tried not to laugh. I really did. My lungs couldn't take it and that awesome energy food I had earlier was deposited on the grass by way of my throat. Mmm tasty!
The rest of the day was spent on a seemingly endless ribbon of narrow lanes going up steep hills and me pushing the damn bike up them.
We arrived at our first campsite (more like a bloody holiday resort for morons) around 4pm and were thrown to the lions without mercy. Lead to our patch by a guy on a quad bike we were stuck in between motor homes and big family tents filled with screaming kids and their covid camping families. Loud, obnoxious, messy, clueless. Not the well kept peaceful place it advertised itself as.
The first attempt at cooking my pasta pots didn't go well. Hard and dry. The 2nd wasn't much better but I was hungry.
Our neighbours didn't shut up till way gone 11pm. The sooner these idiots can get back to their alchopop filled Spanish hotel rooms the better. Lots of kids on bikes though which was nice to see.
20 miles today. 1400ft climbing.

OP
OP
Vantage

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Day 2
Up at 7am and porridge was a success. We were packed and leaving the site by 8.45 and not looking back.
We both knew we were in for a difficult day as Settle was on the menu and so the miles that followed were taken slowly.
Once in Settle we decided that a breakfast was a good idea before the climb out. Ye Olde Naked Man was our chosen cafe. Near £10 a breakfast should have paid for half decent cooking. Half an hour we waited for the toughest bacon I'd ever chewed, charcoaled sausages and the egg wasn't even remotely runny. The beans weren't bad though. Following that, dad disappeared into a shop for some beers for later.
A narrow cobbled street was our taster for what was about to unfold. A short 20% climb as a warm up for the relentless 17% ascent into the moors. I lost count of how many times we had to stop for a breather and we weren't even cycling the hill. We were pushing the bikes up. Ride it? No friggin chance. Even pushing, I was zig zagging the bike across the road to keep moving. Dad waited for me at an electricity substation (I think) and was sat on his arse recovering when I got there.
"That was a tough one!" he said.
"If I find out who put this hill here I'm going to sue them." I answered.
We both sat there maybe 15 minutes drinking water, getting the feeling back in our legs and talking.
One thing my dad and I never really did as I was growing up was talk to each other. We didn't have an easy relationship. Part of the reason I'd asked him along on this tour was to do just that. To make up for lost time.
A bit more climbing followed and eventually we reached the peak and flew past it without realising. Too busy trying to steer clear of cars. It was Sunday. Every boy racer, Sunday driver and delivery driver taking the scenic route was on that road today. It was infuriating. And that was just the noise they made. Before reaching the peak, the road dipped into a bowl and climbed back up again with a junction at the bottom. My plan was to pedal my little legs off down the hill to pick up some momentum to get back up the other side. Mr BMW driver had other plans and pulled out in front of me forcing me to brake hard. Momentum gone and a slow 3mph slog on a 95lb bike up a hill was had. The absolute f*****g bar steward! I could've dragged him out from his car and fed him to the sheep!
The day got better though. The descents! Bloody hell they were fun. I was giggling on some as they swept around bends and just kept pointing downhill. The bike hit 38mph, coasting! With 2 cans of Guinness in each front pannier, the bike suffered badly from shimmy and I felt like I was guiding a rocket propelled combined harvester around the Big Dipper in Blackpool. Nimble it wasn't.
We rolled into Appletreewick and stopped at a pub for a pint. A £5 pint! When did beer get so expensive?!
We sat outside on a bench and chatted some more about all sorts before getting back on the bikes.
We were a minute or 2 into climbing another hill when I noticed we'd missed a turn off. I'd only had one flippin pint! Luckily for us we were only a half mile or so from our camp spot for the night. A quiet farm. Very quiet in fact. There was a caravan and 2 other family tents at the far end of the field. We opted to pitch away from them next to a dry stone wall.
Dinner could have gone better. My tent swallowed up half of my coffee to start with. I was boiling a second pot of water for my pasta while showing dad my Aldi camping chair (he cracked up laughing when I said I'd brought a chair) when he said he could smell burning. I looked around to see that my door had blown from where I'd hooked it open and had brushed the stove. My door now had a bloody hole in it. Dad, true to form, enjoyed my misfortune and set off laughing again. I patched it and had crap pasta again. It wasn't as bad as the previous day but still, it wouldn't have won any awards. Guinness was drunk from a pot and then an early night.
We didn't hear a sound all night. Bliss!
27 miles today. 2391ft climbing.

You have a gift, @Vantage !

I've been looking forward to this since you first mentioned it what seems like decades ago now and you have me making big, loud guffaws and my toupee is falling all over the place!
I like to think in terms of "smiles per mile", but your laughs per mile are untouchable!

Bravo, sir!

You need to get out on the bike more often - we all need more writing like that.

tom73

Guru
:okay:

Showerblock :eek:

Best campsites have a Tap and a Toilet (oh and a pub within staggering distance)
only needs to be a small showerblock - or just a single shower as long as it's a small site - I'm not demanding.
One of the nicest farm campsites i used had just a small thing like a vertical wooden chicken shed.
views of the south downs to die for - sadly it is no more.
To be honest if there are no shower facilities I think I may as well just freecamp, which I have done in some very odd places.

OP
OP
Vantage

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
that campsite looks more like it vantage.
Just a field and a basic clean showerblock?
My sort of campsite.
which one/how much?
Howarths Farm, £7 each a night. Or as the lady quoted, both of us for £15. :blink:
The toilet/shower block was further down on another field for statics. No shower unfortunately. Lots of sites have their showers closed due to covid fears. :wacko:

Top Bottom