Billions of air pollution particles found in the hearts of city dwellers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I don’t doubt this, I think we are all breathing this in, maybe proximity to exhausts does increase the toxicity, the thing is, for me, i. Going to die anyway, whether or not I cycle, so I just enjoy it whilst I can.

I believe this has been studied and people in cars breathe in more of the crap they are producing than cyclists. The particles are too small for a pollen filter to stop them. They are so small the get inside the cells machinery, the microcondria.

classic33

Leg End Member
Even though cyclists don't produce exhaust gases, could they inhale more of them than a car driver who breathes air via the vehicles Pollen Filter? Ie. are we the ones working to lower emissions but suffering more than the people who produce them?
Sat in a car, you're breathing in more than a cyclist travelling on the same road. You're stationary more and for longer than a cyclist.

The filters fitted to a car would require replacement on a thrice daily basis. To avoid any of what it was made to stop getting through once it has been filled.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Sat in a car, you're breathing in more than a cyclist travelling on the same road. You're stationary more and for longer than a cyclist.

The filters fitted to a car would require replacement on a thrice daily basis. To avoid any of what it was made to stop getting through once it has been filled.

So the answer is no then. At least we can ride knowing we haven't shot our selves in the foot.

BTW if you have worked out those facts you should go and work for Dyson and make a Buck.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
All this pollution business is very depressing, especially when we are constantly brainwashed with it. Let's not forget that the human body is also very resilient. Smokers lungs can clean themselves of tar deposit after 7 years. I still believe that the air is cleaner now than it was in the 50's and 60's and the biggest danger is probably with all the chemicals they put in our food. Rivers are also cleaner now than 50 years ago. It isn't all doom and gloom as we are more aware of it. I also read somewhere that today's diesel engines are less polluting than pre 2015 petrol cars. I am 68 years old with no ailments and in good health so it can't be that bad. Maybe living in Wales for the last 37 years may have something to do with it. :smile:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Polution was even worse 50 or more years ago with coal etc.

Thing is, this reducing emissions costs money, can't see the likes of China doing that at present... biggest world poluter.
You're confusing local particulate pollution with global CO2 emissions.

It's tempting to say "there's no point bothering to change anything because the Chinese and the Americans are so bad" but it doesn't always make sense.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
The elephant in the room is that even if we get rid of ALL diesel/petrol engine emissions unless we actually reduce the number of vehicles, particulates from brakes/tyres etc will continue to rise, as will congestion, as the numbers of replacement 'clean' vehicles rises to meet increased demand.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Polution was even worse 50 or more years ago with coal etc.

Thing is, this reducing emissions costs money, can't see the likes of China doing that at present... biggest world poluter.

China are being very proactive on CO 2, renewable energy generation, soil carbon preservation through organic farming, that kind of thing..

. Although behaving less than great in other ways, damning rivers for hydro, human rights etc.

And folks dont seem to want to connect the cheap Chinese goods they buy here, with the pollution and poor working conditions over there..

We've exported a whole lot of our pollution overseas, via cheap manufacturing, and low cost food production,

Then we go
"Oh look at those dirty polluting countries overseas.

Join the dots maybe??

But particulates we are breathing here, have zero to do with China, or any other country.. It's our own vehicle, and industry emissions.

But I have heard that you still get more pollution inside a car than out..

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
If we all got back to the horse and cart:
- we wouldn't be getting anywhere fast.
- the scientists would be quick to tell us that particles produced by the horses sh*t is bad for our health.
In other words, we can't win.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
If we all got back to the horse and cart:
- we wouldn't be getting anywhere fast.
- the scientists would be quick to tell us that particles produced by the horses sh*t is bad for our health.
In other words, we can't win.

Oh, come off it, hardly a useful comparison is it.

Just sounds like 'anti-science' 'we don't want to hear from experts' nonsense

It isn't a case of we put up with life shortening diesel particulates, or else we're all riding donkeys is it.

That's just sensationalist hosssh*t, if you don't mind me saying so.

There are plenty of cleaner, appropriate, and alternative solutions, many of which have existed for decades.
(including the good old bicycle)

It's just business as usual, big oil, and their ilk have done everything possible to keep them underused, whilst they make big ol profits.

Hydrogen powered trains, for instance, are already a thing.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Replaced the pollen filter on my car recently. It's not done many miles in the last few years, but is now used on city commutes.

It was disgustingly black. Hate the fact that's happened, but I wont be on the bike anymore into Manchester. Done my time trying to cycle commute safely into Manchester. Too many injuries.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
An alternative solution might be to look at how we work, instead of sticking with an outmoded insistance to have millions travel at the same time of day to sit behind a desk in an office for 8 hours, when in many cases that work can realistically be done almost anywhere now?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
An alternative solution might be to look at how we work, instead of sticking with an outmoded insistance to have millions travel at the same time of day to sit behind a desk in an office for 8 hours, when in many cases that work can realistically be done almost anywhere now?

And half those jobs are pointless, just making or selling stuff that no one needs.

Make a four (or three?) day week standard.

Share out the work more equitably.
So no one has to be unemployed and feel useless.

No one has to work all hours and be miserable.

Should have sorted all this out years ago.

Everyone could have had more time to commute more slowly.
And spend more of their time doing useful stuff they like.

Lots of people are miserable cos they know their boring jobs are ultimately pointless.

Food, healthcare, education, a little bit of light manufacturing of stuff we really
need (not much)

And all the music, art, n stuff we like..

Stop this dumb@rse rat race which is just doing do much harm, and making a (very few) folks stupidly rich..

Top Bottom