Bird of Prey 4ft WIngspan

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

On the way back today in a tree in front of me was a bird of prey, each time I got close it would swoop down onto the track a few feet off the ground then go back up into another tree, this happened 4 or 5 times, before flying off over the trees. As I was behind it I never got a really good look at it, but the wingspan must have been at least 4 feet. This is on the North Notts/South Yorks border what's it likely to be?

Buzzard.

midlife

Guru
Was it that bloke from Boney M

OB-LO891_boneym_EV_20101231083524.jpg

gbb

Legendary Member
Red Kite tend not to be too concerned by humans being relatively close while Buzzard tend to take off and put distance between you and them, in my experience. Red kite will simply carry on around and above you.

Other distinguishing features.
Buzzard can often be recognised by a light coloured crescent on their chest. They tend to be a bit fatter and shorter than Red Kite, which tend to have longer slimmer wings, Buzzard wings are broader and splay the wingtip feathers more noticeably.

Red Kite are more colourful with a distinct forked tail, Buzzard colouration tends to be varied, greys through to brown, usually of mottled appearance.

Rarer are harriers, we get marsh barriers here, they tend to be more darker brown, very slim and long winged, slow wingbeat while searching for food.

Top Bottom