Birthday Money......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
......currently burning a hole in my pocket (about £500). Now, what should I invest it in? Main bike is an Argon 18 Krypton so what upgrades should I be looking at?

New wheels - currently Fulcrum Racing Sport

New tyres - currently Continental 4000 S II

Upgrade from Shimano 105?

Now, I`m not sure any upgrade would make a noticeable difference to times but maybe if I think I can go faster, I will!

Or should I book into a health farm for two weeks and lose a stone!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A decent pair of wheels - which you'd notice for a £500 budget. Fulcrum Racing Sport's are an OK introductory wheel.

Tangoup51

Your bike is a good one. There's not much to upgrade, unless you have more money than the bike is worth.

The only thing(s) i can see you upgrading are your Wheels, Saddle and Bartape. Don't think you can do much of a groupset upgrade for £500 considering the value of your current groupset.

Same thing with your wheels, really. You can get some better wheels for that money £500 but your current wheels are pretty fair, you can buy carbon wheel sets for your price though.

Though have you looked at accessories? What about better clothing? Shoes? New helmet? Garmin upgrade? A Cycle camera that isn't sub <£30?
Lights, Pumps, lubricants, cleaning tools... you may already have all these things if you have that much money to spend on a bike though. But you can keep your search going outside of your bike but keeping it Cycle Related.

bpsmith

Veteran
As above, wheels would be the main thing. That’s where I would look at.

Some other components you could consider, like carbon aero bars maybe?

I have 3T Aeronova bars on one bike, and going to get them for newer bike once cables need doing. There’s an alleged aero gain, if you believe that, but I find the flat tops amazing to use, and the aesthetics alone are worth it for the price. Can get a matching 3T stem and maybe seatpost to match also?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Why not spend it on a cycling holiday instead?

Slick

Guru
Obviously the Wright loss thing would give the best return on time gained but how boring is that? I've recently discovered that getting a new bike is always the real answer. :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Obviously the Wright loss thing would give the best return on time gained but how boring is that?
You can actually SAVE money doing that, rather than spending it! (I'm assuming that you meant wEight loss. If you actually meant getting rid of Mr. Wright then it is too subtle for me! :laugh:)

Another vote for the spring cycling holiday!

pjd57

Veteran
Got to agree with the cycling holiday suggestions.
A few nights in decent accommodation somewhere nice , fares and meals .
Something to enjoy.

Slick

Guru
You can actually SAVE money doing that, rather than spending it! (I'm assuming that you meant wEight loss. If you actually meant getting rid of Mr. Wright then it is too subtle for me! :laugh:)

Another vote for the spring cycling holiday!
Not one for subtleties, I did indeed mean weight loss. It might save him cash but it's still boring. :laugh:

Top Bottom