Bit of a whinge about Canyon (UK)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Evenflow

Hi, fairly new here so wasnt quite sure where to post this.
Recently been looking at Canyon Cx bikes, ie the AL priced at £1200. The cost in Euro"s is 1400€ giving an exchange rate of 1.166'. Presently the commercial rate is 1.4, which is what my bank will give me when using my debit card. (no other charges). This represents a difference of about £200!
I emailed Canyon Uk to ask if I could pay in euro's but unfortunately its not possible, they set the prices to reflect the£/€ over the year. It hardly seems an accurate reflection. Rose bikes at least are around 1.3.
Kinda put me off buying Canyon.

pauldavid

Veteran
Buy something else then

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Hi, fairly new here so wasnt quite sure where to post this.
Recently been looking at Canyon Cx bikes, ie the AL priced at £1200. The cost in Euro"s is 1400€ giving an exchange rate of 1.166'. Presently the commercial rate is 1.4, which is what my bank will give me when using my debit card. (no other charges). This represents a difference of about £200!
I emailed Canyon Uk to ask if I could pay in euro's but unfortunately its not possible, they set the prices to reflect the£/€ over the year. It hardly seems an accurate reflection. Rose bikes at least are around 1.3.
Kinda put me off buying Canyon.
Price of popularity? When I was looking at buying one 2 or 3 years ago I'm sure the price changed almost daily with the exchange rate. I think Rose were similar. Also the German rate of VAT applied - lower than ours, but then the rules changed. You just can't win. Holiday in Germany and pick one up maybe? They are still great value anyway :okay:

Nevertheless an interesting question as I am looking to purchase something from either `Rose Bikes or Bike 24, at what point in the purchasing procedure [I assume you have to create an account first] do you find out what you will have to pay in sterling?

Emigrate to the eurozone.

You're welcome.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Nevertheless an interesting question as I am looking to purchase something from either `Rose Bikes or Bike 24, at what point in the purchasing procedure [I assume you have to create an account first] do you find out what you will have to pay in sterling?

With Rose the price is set when you push the order button - same as buying from Halfords or any other UK retailer.

I rarely visit the Rose site, so can't comment how often the prices change.

All I would say is my one bike buying experience a couple of years ago was excellent.

bpsmith

Veteran
Can't you buy from their overseas store and ship here?

Shipping is usually a lot anyway. You have to factor in VAT at the other countries rate too.

I bought a Bianchi via Germany as they had a deal on. Was zero hassle and saved £600 including shipping. Shipping was €79 btw, so factor that in.

OP
OP
Evenflow

Evenflow

Recently bought some Qrings from Rose and their shipping rates are reasonable, £5. The order was placed in Euros but
Rose did the conversion and charged my debit card in £'s...the rate was reasonable, i.e. better than the present tourist rate anyway.
I'm sure if I emailed them and ask'd them to charge my debit card in euros they would oblige.

Top Bottom