Bitsa from next door

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Most of that paint would probably come off with a vigorous rub from a rag dipped in paint thinners. It doesn't look like a diligent job with proper prep.
It certainly isn't :laugh:

Once I strip the bits off, that's going to be the first job. It'll be a rattle can job (primer first) but I'm not sure whether to use the original scheme or to choose another period scheme with something approximating to Royal Blue.

(Yes, I'm an Evertonian, yes I am shallow enough to change a 60-year-old red frame because of it ^_^)

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

I reckon this has the makings of a nice bike, and if it is a Conquest model you can christen it Norman :okay:
The only thing that scares me a bit is that I've never undertaken anything like this before and I'm crap with spanners (unlike my dad, who would have turned this round in a few days).

I do have a decent toolset and stand, though, and hopefully with help from here and the University of YouTube we'll get her nicely fettled.

DRM

Guru
The only thing that scares me a bit is that I've never undertaken anything like this before and I'm crap with spanners (unlike my dad, who would have turned this round in a few days).

I do have a decent toolset and stand, though, and hopefully with help from here and the University of YouTube we'll get her nicely fettled.
You tube is your friend, along with google and CC, it doesn’t matter how long it takes to do, as long as it gets ridden and enjoyed again once it’s fettled , good luck with it

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

I'm now pretty convinced it's a Hosteller, of a similar vintage to this one.

http://classicvikingcycles.com/c1960-viking-hosteller/vikinghosteller2/
And now I'm not... I'm now leaning towards a Conquest.

Thing is, there's no holes in the frame for a shifter, but there are widgets to route gear cables, so it must have had a bar-end shifter. So far, the only one I've found with bar-end shifters is the Conquest (but that had the lugs for the pump on the seat tube rather than the top tube.... Grrrrrr)

RichardB

Slightly retro
May I jump in and hijack this thread for a second, since there are obviously Viking experts about? My first drop-handlebar bike was a Viking, but I can't remember the model. I would have been about 12 and it was new, so made in about 1965. It won't have been anything exciting or exotic, as my parents bought it for me to replace a junior Halfords thing I grew up on. It was a 5-speed with a rear mech by Huret and a single downtube lever held on by a clamp as the frame didn't have any threaded mounts for levers, cages etc. Think it might have had pump lugs. Brakes were possibly Weinmann and side-pulls - pretty sure they were stamped-out steel, not alloy. Steel dimpled rims, 27" with 1.25 tan wall tyres. The paint job was the same layout as the Hosteller above, but in pale blue and a purple/lilac colour. I'll know the model name if anyone says it, but I can't remember it at the moment. Any remembered info or even a link to a picture would be brilliant. OK, hijack over, thank you and goodnight. :becool:

classic33

Leg End Member
May I jump in and hijack this thread for a second, since there are obviously Viking experts about? My first drop-handlebar bike was a Viking, but I can't remember the model. I would have been about 12 and it was new, so made in about 1965. It won't have been anything exciting or exotic, as my parents bought it for me to replace a junior Halfords thing I grew up on. It was a 5-speed with a rear mech by Huret and a single downtube lever held on by a clamp as the frame didn't have any threaded mounts for levers, cages etc. Think it might have had pump lugs. Brakes were possibly Weinmann and side-pulls - pretty sure they were stamped-out steel, not alloy. Steel dimpled rims, 27" with 1.25 tan wall tyres. The paint job was the same layout as the Hosteller above, but in pale blue and a purple/lilac colour. I'll know the model name if anyone says it, but I can't remember it at the moment. Any remembered info or even a link to a picture would be brilliant. OK, hijack over, thank you and goodnight. :becool:
Ian Steel, Clubman!!

classic33

Leg End Member
I managed to speak to the owner's son just now, he doesn't want anything for it and it happy for me to keep it... So, we can start the restoration in earnest now ^_^
Screenshot_2020-09-28-22-40-23.png

Note the top tube pump mounting.

Will you be repainting the badge?

classic33

Leg End Member
The name Clubman doesn't ring a loud bell, but could be ... I'll have to forget about it for a few days, and then sure enough I will wake up at 3.30 am with the word on my lips. :rolleyes:
Keep a mirror and a pen & paper to hand. That way you can use the mirror to check your lips, before writing it down.

Top Bottom