Bitterly cold out there today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

This is what I have done for the last 4 weeks (weekend).
Hopefully next weekend is rideable.

I was out last Sunday but the charity ride today was postponed, I contemplated a short ride on the fixed this morning, but looked out the window saw the snow falling and went back to bed.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Last rode on Thursday morning before the snow came. 10 miles head on into that cruel easterly wind, then turned back and let it blow me home (well, assist me getting home quicker), Friday was a non-starter - too risky in the snow, considered it Saturday but bottled it because it was so cold and today I'm full of cold so doubt I'll be out until I'm snuffle free, by which time hopefully global warming will have resumed. A bit cheesed off, all I want to do is ride my new bike.

musa

Über Member
Unfortunately I have had to go work over the weekend. Saturday was the worse with falling snow, Sunday was ok coming home it was a lot wamer

D

Deleted member 20519

Out: 20km/h headwind, choc gateaux, double Espresso.
In: 20km/h tailwind, Scotch egg, large Rum & ginger.

LOVE the work.

Photo0750crop.jpg

What's the mask and hat combo? Looks like it'll be good for the cold weather.

Skipper

I chickened out this weekend. Too much snow on the ground, and gales-a-blowin'. My little tyres wouldn't last long in the safer 'upright' position I fear, so resorted to the turbo trainer in the garden. Had a bloody good work out though, and stayed warm and safe.

Sara_H

Guru
Brrrrrrrr....... Still lots of snow and ice here in Sheffield. OH has just text to say he had to get off bike and walk large parts of the commute to work today.

GBC

Veteran
I tied to get in a ride yesterday, but cut it short because of the wind which was gusting in excess of 40mph. It was fishtailing as well which made things very hairy, to the point that on quite a few occasions, I found myself gripping the saddle very firmly indeed:sweat:
I only managed about 12 miles and my average speed of 13pkh was the same as my normal in mph - but anything beats the shed and the turbo...

philinmerthyr

Über Member
I got 2 rides in on the weekend, 40 miles in total The 25 miles around Cardiff including crossing the barrage was probably the coldest I have ever been on a bike and the wind wasn't much fun either.

Better than staying in though :smile:

wisdom

Guru
Heres a positive slant on the current weather.I will refrain from moaning about it.
On the fylde coast we had extremely high winds so i classed the headwind ride to work as "training"
The cross winds were a test of my bike handling skills.
The snow tested the protection of my cycling sunglasses.
The cold temperatures were only there to challenge and check the warming abilities of proper cycle clothing.
The headwinds on my return home from work proved the effectiveness of slick downchanges.
So to sum up the weather tested my cycling skills and challenged my kit.
See no moans at all.

billy1561

BB wrecker
Another week or so of this chilly weather then hopefully see some improvement. This time last year it was about 20 degrees with drought warnings in parts of the south.. Mind you we had 7 months of rain following that!
What a strange country we live in weatherwise. No 2 years ever seem the same.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Although its exceptionally cold and people are talking of climate change etc its not unusual for this time of year to be a bit chilly, I was away camping in 1998 at Easter, which fell on 12th April that year and it was similar to now, I remember it snowing as I drove down the M6 near Preston on the way home. Frustrating because it makes cycling less enjoyable, but it will soon be warmer...he said hopefully....full of manflu so grounded anyway at present.

Top Bottom