Bitterly cold out there today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

billy1561

BB wrecker
I ventured out on Sunday,i did 28 miles though it took me an embarrassing 2 hours 50 minutes, the wind was that strong! I must have walked 5 of the 28 miles.
Don't knock it at least you got out. Good effort in the conditions. Like Roadhump above you i have not been on the bike for 3 weeks now due to various medical comditions and its starting to annoy me.
I can feel my hard work at the start of the year dissipating :ohmy:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Don't knock it at least you got out. Good effort in the conditions. Like Roadhump above you i have not been on the bike for 3 weeks now due to various medical comditions and its starting to annoy me.
I can feel my hard work at the start of the year dissipating :ohmy:

+1. Well; that is apart from the hard work at the start of the year bit :blush:. Jan - 200 miles; Feb - 280 miles; March - 120 miles, and with ice on the paths and a dose of man flu it's not going to increase any time soon.

Davidc

Guru
Not the coldest March on record, even if it is coldest for 50+ years. Just 'one of those things'.

While it's so very cold with ice around (no snow here) the bikes can stay in the garage. With a bit of luck there will be plenty of more agreeable cycling weather during the year.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
On the Today programme this morning some meteorologist forecast that we can expect below average temps for the next 30 days!
Well as I have an Open University exam in 27 days, that could be a blessing in disguise for me as it could force me to do what I should be doing and not playing on my new bike....although I doubt it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Serious note: is anybody else who HAS been cycling suffering from bronchitis caused by the cold air?

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Interesting question although unable to answer. It also raises the question about whether you should train or exert yourself when you have a cold, I've seen quite a few different opinions but in this weather plus having a cold probably better to play safe and wait until you are no longer coughing and sneezing.

D

Deleted member 1258

Serious note: is anybody else who HAS been cycling suffering from bronchitis caused by the cold air?

Voice a bit husky but otherwise OK, I've had this in the past, racers cough, caused by trying too hard on a bitter winters day, breathing too hard, drawing that cold air too deep in the lungs and irritating them, you need to wear something over the bottom of your face covering your mouth and nose. When I had it I ended up at the doctors for some medicine to clear it up, I can't remember the name of the medicine, it was mixed with hot water, but the Dr told me, as he wrote the prescription, to sit down whilst I take it, he was right the stuff was like rocket fuel.

al78

Guru
Although its exceptionally cold and people are talking of climate change etc its not unusual for this time of year to be a bit chilly, I was away camping in 1998 at Easter, which fell on 12th April that year and it was similar to now, I remember it snowing as I drove down the M6 near Preston on the way home. Frustrating because it makes cycling less enjoyable, but it will soon be warmer...he said hopefully....full of manflu so grounded anyway at present.

True but it is not the cold that is unusual, it is the duration of the cold. Normally at this time of year any cold snaps and accompanying snow last a couple of days at most before temperatures rise back into double figures. Currently we have had about three weeks solid of sustained cold with no respite and nothing to suggest any change in the near future.

Coupled with significant snow in places that hardly ever receive much in the depths of winter, never mind March (e.g. Channel Islands, Isle of Man) and widespread ice days (sub-zero daytime maxes) right up until nearly the end of the month, it has been a pretty exceptional March.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Another week or so of this chilly weather then hopefully see some improvement. This time last year it was about 20 degrees with drought warnings in parts of the south.. Mind you we had 7 months of rain following that!
What a strange country we live in weatherwise. No 2 years ever seem the same.

**DAYS**

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
As has been mentioned previously in this thread, the temperatures are unseasonably cold, but its the wind thats getting on my wick. Temperature wont really put me off going out for a ride, but this dammed wind thats whipping off the sea where I live, that will, and has stopped me getting out. Once I've managed to get about 5 miles inland it isnt too bad, but getting back to the coast after a couple of hours in the saddle is no joke. I sha'nt be sad to see the end of this current run of weather, no sir'ee.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Anybody remember those prevailing south-westerlies, we used to have before they shortened it to ailing south-westerlies? I'm sure it hasn't blown more than 3 days this year.

Top Bottom