Bizarre dialogue with a moton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

Riding into Windsor this morning, there's a stretch of about 2km with 5 sets of lights. Just before the first set (outside The Bell, for anyone who knows the area), which were red, a car squeezed through and braked sharply in front of me. I went up the cycle lane and stopped, on the left, in the ASL. Over the next 4 sets of lights, this car (Ford Focus) passed between each set then stopped at the red, further and further to the left each time. Nothing much more than a typical moton, I thought.

At the last set, though, she obviously thought that I had a lesson to learn as her window came down as I was pulling alongside.

Her: "I had to overtake you 4 times!"
Me: "That's ok, this is the fifth time I've passed you."
Her: "But you kept holding me up!"
Me: "And now you and the other cars are stationary, holding me up."
Her: "You were going slower than the cars!"
Me: "Actually, I was doing exactly the same speed as the cars but I like to leave a safe area in front of me in case I need to brake." (this one made her pause)
Her: "And you were riding in the middle of the road!"
Me: "I was, thanks." (this had her completely flummoxed. She was berating what she saw as bad behaviour, and I said "Thanks")
Her: "Why were you out there?"
Me: "Avoiding people in cars who open their doors without looking"
Her: "Oh."
Me: "You should get a bike, you'll get there quicker..."
And, with that, I turned left down towards the river and didn't see her again.

I really should wear my camera more, but it was raining so I left it at home.

thomas

the tank engine
haha. Sounds like you managed to cover every objection well ;)

OP
OP
N

Norm

Thanks, I was kinda proud of the first response but then started to wonder how I could get a cyclists viewpoint across in the short gap between green lights and de-railed myself.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Norm said:
Thanks, I was kinda proud of the first response but then started to wonder how I could get a cyclists viewpoint across in the short gap between green lights and de-railed myself.

yep, the 5th time I've passed you was a good line, have to try and remember that one:biggrin:

OP
OP
N

Norm

hackbike 666 said:
Did the stupid bint look like she needed some exercise?
No, not really.

And the view I had of her, erm, well, of her was also fairly distracting.

I must admit that most of my responses are initiated by stuff I see on here. My favourite to date was the BMW a few weeks ago who shouted "Cycle path" whilst pointing to the pavement, which elicited my "bus stop" reply.

I do wish that we could have more time with some motorists, just to help them understand why we are "taking the lane" or whatever. From the look on her face, this woman earlier had obviously never considered the "door zone" and thought I was antagonising her by riding down the middle of the road. It would be great to have the chance to explain things.

Nice one Norm.

I once had someone stop to tell me I should be on the adjacent cycle path instead of the road. So I replied I wouldn't go on the path partly because it was full of glass but mainly for the same reason they were driving on this road and not on the (nearby) M1. The road goes where I want to go.

thomas

the tank engine
Norm said:
No, not really.

And the view I had of her, erm, well, of her was also fairly distracting.

She probably gave up thinking you had mental difficaulties and drool dripped down your chin :wacko::biggrin:

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
lol, great responses, some people just dont understand. Ive not really had any verbal contact with motorists as I dont commute (I work from home, and my office lounge is withing walking distance of my bedroom)

NigC

AndyCarolan said:
lol, great responses, some people just dont understand. Ive not really had any verbal contact with motorists as I dont commute (I work from home, and my office lounge is withing walking distance of my bedroom)

I've got an exercise bike if you're interested??? It makes a great towel rack :wacko:

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
NigC said:
I've got an exercise bike if you're interested??? It makes a great towel rack :wacko:

ROFL - no thanks, I do make a point of going out for my daily rides and longer distances at the weekend.

Excercise bike indeed lolol

Top Bottom