Bizarre driving?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
First things first, I live in France so everything is back to front (or on the wrong side);)

Went out in the sun today, approached a very quiet roundabout, pretty much hugging the kerb on my right. I could hear a car behind me and they pulled nearly alongside just as we both arrived at the roundabout. Now, I was taking the first exit, i.e. turning right. So I assumed that the car was going to go straight on or left. I came out of the saddle an powered to the right, first exit so as to avoid confusion. The next thing I know, is that I hear a screech of brakes and horn sounding from the car (who was alongside me at the roundabout), then they overtook me going the same direction as me. They then had the cheek to give me the finger as they went past.

Sometime later, I spotted the same car parked up with a woman standing outside, so I stopped and asked why they had given me the finger (not easy in French), and she said that I was obstructing her route and that roundabouts are a stupid English invention. I could not contain my laughter at this point, so just cycled away, leaving a very pissed off french woman.

My problem is, if I has been going straight on at that roundabout, I would have been dust, due to the fact that most French people have no idea which lane to be in a roundabouts and they have no clue whatsoever about indication. I have lived in France for many years and it never ceases to amaze me how useless they are.

rusky

CC Addict
You should have reminded her that if it wasn't for us, they would be speaking German :biggrin:

BikeLiker

First things first, I live in France so everything is back to front (or on the wrong side);)

Went out in the sun today, approached a very quiet roundabout, pretty much hugging the kerb on my right. I could hear a car behind me and they pulled nearly alongside just as we both arrived at the roundabout. Now, I was taking the first exit, i.e. turning right. So I assumed that the car was going to go straight on or left. I came out of the saddle an powered to the right, first exit so as to avoid confusion. The next thing I know, is that I hear a screech of brakes and horn sounding from the car (who was alongside me at the roundabout), then they overtook me going the same direction as me. They then had the cheek to give me the finger as they went past.

Sometime later, I spotted the same car parked up with a woman standing outside, so I stopped and asked why they had given me the finger (not easy in French), and she said that I was obstructing her route and that roundabouts are a stupid English invention. I could not contain my laughter at this point, so just cycled away, leaving a very ****ed off french woman.

My problem is, if I has been going straight on at that roundabout, I would have been dust, due to the fact that most French people have no idea which lane to be in a roundabouts and they have no clue whatsoever about indication. I have lived in France for many years and it never ceases to amaze me how useless they are.

I ride in France every year and find French drivers far more aware of cyclists than in the UK. They also have better lane discipline - I've never seen a French car in the outside lane when the nearside is cle.

OP
OP
DooDah

DooDah

Veteran
I ride in France every year and find French drivers far more aware of cyclists than in the UK. They also have better lane discipline - I've never seen a French car in the outside lane when the nearside is cle.

Well that is very odd. I have lived in France for over ten years, and I can tell you that their lane discipline at roundabouts is dreadful. Every brit I know that lives in France says the same thing, so I don't know how you cannot see it.

On the other hand you are saying
I've never seen a French car in the outside lane when the nearside is cle.

I have never said the nearside is clear, I was there.

paul04

Über Member
due to the fact that most French people have no idea which lane to be in a roundabouts and they have no clue whatsoever about indication. I have lived in France for many years and it never ceases to amaze me how useless they are.

You could say the same thing about some drivers in the UK. Give them a mini (painted) roundabout and they do not have a clue who has right of way, and just look at each other.

Then you get the odd madman who goes regardless of who has right of way.

Alex H

Legendary Member
I've always found it bizarre that some of them still think they have priority onto the roundabout, since the rules changed about 30 years ago.

And what is with this indicating left to go straight on?

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I've always found it bizarre that some of them still think they have priority onto the roundabout, since the rules changed about 30 years ago.

And what is with this indicating left to go straight on?
That is to tell other drivers that you are about to leave the roundabout.

gavroche

Talking of roudabouts, who's stupid idea was it to put traffic lights at roudabouts too? It defeats the object.

BikeLiker

[quote="DooDah, post: 2317870, member: 27000"
Every brit I know that lives in France says the same thing, so I don't know how you cannot see it..[/quote]
Maybe it's coz they live in France and forget how bad the UK is

[quote="DooDah, post: 2317870, member: 27000"On the other hand you are saying
"I've never seen a French car in the outside lane when the nearside is clear."
I have never said the nearside is clear, I was there.[/quote]

I wasn't suggesting this was specific to your incident . It's a general indication of French drivers better road awareness in that they don't trundle along in an overtaking lane in a zombiefied state.

gavroche

[quote="DooDah, post: 2317870, member: 27000"
Every brit I know that lives in France says the same thing, so I don't know how you cannot see it..
Maybe it's coz they live in France and forget how bad the UK is

[quote="DooDah, post: 2317870, member: 27000"On the other hand you are saying
"I've never seen a French car in the outside lane when the nearside is clear."
I have never said the nearside is clear, I was there.[/quote]

I wasn't suggesting this was specific to your incident . It's a general indication of French drivers better road awareness in that they don't trundle along in an overtaking lane in a zombiefied state.[/quote]
It is also and offence to stay on the overtaking lane, after overtaking, which carries a hefty fine. ( in France)

Sara_H

Guru
Ha ha ha. She just sounds like a ignorant numpty - it's obviously an international phenomenon.

Love the bit about roundabouts being a useless english invention! She's right though!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Have to say that my experiences of driving/motorcycling/cycling in France are all good. As Gavroche says, they have lane discipline. They don't dawdle about, driving everywhere at 40 mph a la British style. They slow down in towns. They know how to park. They don't suffer idiots on the road (you will soon hear the horn or see the flashing headlights if you've done something wrong).

Cycling and motorbiking is a particular pleasure over the channel. In the UK as we all know to our cost, cyclists are pretty much an inconvenience which are only just tolerated on the roads. Motorbikes are invisible to your average British car driver. Give me France any time, on a number of levels - not just related to road use!

Top Bottom