Bizarre driving?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
The only time I have ever had agro in France was for not cycling on a cycle path 100 metre to my right!!!

byegad

Legendary Member
French roundabouts are confused by the fact that priority to the right ruled for many a year on them and still does on some. Most seem to have Cedez le Passage on the approach roads but not all, the huge roundabout that encircles the Arc de Triumph is one where you can barrel on with priority, then have to give way to vehicles coming on at the next exit. I take them very steadily in France, not expecting anyone to follow any rule, I'm seldom disappointed!:rolleyes:

yello

And what is with this indicating left to go straight on?

It's simply what they are taught is the correct thing to do. It lets anyone sitting at the first exit know that they are going straight on. I can see the logic though admit that It is confusing for the non-French, I was taught to indicate when you're exiting a roundabout, not on entering it, but I have adapted to the French way.

As a rule, I do find French drivers very bicycle aware - certainly more so than in the UK - but the standard of driving does sometimes stagger belief, certainly in rural areas. In my experience, the main problems are following too closely, inability to overtake safely, driving too quickly, driving in the middle of the road, straying onto the wrong side when cornering. Those last 3 are common on rural roads (so motorcyclists beware!) and I know why; people drive with the assumption that there is nothing coming in the opposite direction - which is, by and large, correct.

yello

but not anyone at the 3rd :wacko: or anyone following where the h*ll they're going

The signalling is intended primarily for anyone waiting at that first exit, that's of more immediate concern than anything at the 2nd, 3rd exits or indeed anyone following. It says I'm NOT coming off the roundabout (as opposed to the UK approach of I AM exiting), I'm going to be driving in front of you. It's supposed to stop drivers entering the roundabout and crossing your path... not that it always does of course! As mentioned, some sail blissfully onto the roundabout ignoring give ways and assuming priority to the right.

As I said, it confuses me too but it's just a different way of doing things, and one I can understand - certainly in the context of 'priority to the right'.

Alex H

Legendary Member
The signalling is intended primarily for anyone waiting at that first exit, that's of more immediate concern than anything at the 2nd, 3rd exits or indeed anyone following.

not on a 2 lane roundabout though - I want to turn left, I'm in the LH lane and theres someone in the RH lane with the left indictor on - how do I know he's going straight on (cause he's in the RH lane) or an idiot whose going to turn left as well (cause he's in the wrong lane)

I know theres this history of priorite a droite, but that was for stagecoaches and perhaps requires updating :whistle:

RhythMick

Über Member
There are exceptions of course and normally common sense will prevail.

For example, on the A628 travelling East approaching the M1 J37 is a roundabout with 2 lanes approaching and 2 lanes going left. The roundabout is clearly marked with both lanes going left. There's one other exit, straight on. Nothing wrong with being in the right lane to take the first exit here, in fact it's required if you want to turn right to go south on the M1.

My point is simply that there are exceptions, you drive to the local road markings and conditions and you keep your eyes peeled for those who get it wrong and cross lanes.

yello

how do I know he's going straight on (cause he's in the RH lane) or an idiot whose going to turn left as well (cause he's in the wrong lane)

You don't, so you don't take any chances. The lane positioning is just as confusing as the indicator. It's much the same in the UK, a flashing indicator only tells you that the bulb works! ;)

yello

you drive to the local road markings and conditions and you keep your eyes peeled for those who get it wrong and cross lanes.

I think that's good advice - for anywhere in the world. We all get it wrong sometimes,either through our own fault or simple confusion. For some junctions, prior knowledge of the layout really does help and you can't always know the best lane to be in well enough in advance.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
When I did a little bit of cycling in France last summer, I found that roundabout are pretty much the same in both countries. I signalled my intentions to the car behind, took primary and negotiated it as I would normally do.

The roundabouts I went around are here: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=e...=j0niltS2vX_OO5q5Qt9Ayg&cbp=12,188.64,,0,2.19
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=e...=xXJJOmlpwQhjaY7hbcA9Lw&cbp=12,211.72,,0,2.65
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=e...=b9ojDNs2ImjUuSQ4ST219A&cbp=12,327.16,,0,1.28
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=e...d=b_Cqt50VrQVp1-FnIssEGg&cbp=12,12.51,,0,3.47
These are juts a select few (many more). TBH I actually preferred the cycling infrastructure in France. I actually got to cycle down this bike lane: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=e...=kdMAsckAIPhieGteCKoKkw&cbp=12,16.52,,0,14.07 which was the first time I had ever been in a cycle lane. As far as they go, it was very good.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Dont Worry i had one today with a English driver and they are expected to know which lane is for straight on entering a duel carriageway in this case.I was in the middle of a sprint so sadly with the adrenaline a little bad word came out although a stopped myself before ending head :biggrin:.

OP
OP
DooDah

DooDah

Veteran
OK, I have read the replies and whilst I agree with some statements, I will not change my view on French drivers or French driving. It is fine to say what French drivers are taught to do, but do they always do this, NO. I would say that only about 40% indicate at all at roundabouts, which is extremely frustrating. French drivers are also very impatient, so I often find myself being on a roundabout, and they will pull out forcing you to slow down or brake hard (this is nothing to do with the priority to the right law, most French people know this does not exist on roundabouts). Moreover, you will frequently see people indicating right, and going straight on (which is just so dangerous).

Also, someone said that the French are good at parking!!!!! Have you ever been to France, they are rubbish in the most polite way. They will leave their cars in the road with hazards going at times, double park on roads, take up several spaces because they can't be bothered with parking correctly. This all comes down to the French being impatient when behind the wheel. On fast roads you will often see a car about a metre from your bumper, because they want to overtake (they often overtake on blind bends).

The reason that people like to cycle in France is due to the fact that France is a huge country with a small population, which means large open spaces and not much traffic on the roads (unless you are in a large city). Therefore, it gives the impression that they are more tolerant and considerate to cyclists. This is not necessarily true, it is just that they don't have the pressures of traffic such as in the UK. I have French friends who frequently drive their trucks in the UK, and they say that they prefer driving in the UK because they say that UK drivers are better and more considerate (their words not mine).

For example, if you were driving in rural France where you saw only a few cars. would you be considerate to a cyclist, almost definitely. If you were driving in South-East England where there is a huge amount of traffic, and a cyclist was holding up a lot of people because they could not overtake due to the volume of traffic coming the other way, would you get frustrated with that cyclist, probably (and non-cycling drivers, definitely).

To sum up my thoughts, French drivers and driving standards are terrible, British drivers are much better. However, it is still more pleasurable to drive or cycle in France, as it it a very sparsely populated country compared to the UK. The French are still crap at roundabouts though;)

yello

It is fine to say what French drivers are taught to do, but do they always do this, NO.

The question I answered (from someone else btw) was 'why do they do it?' NOT 'why don't they always do it?' The reason some don't indicate is perhaps the same reason drivers around the world don't - they forget!

Top Bottom