Bkool FAQ

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LBHIFI

Veteran
Edit: Having read your other thread about Zwift Bluetooth and Bkool trainers I thought it worth posting it here for anyone else researching it.

As I understand it, Bluetooth support of the Bkool Pro is proprietary. Zwift have added bluetooth support for selected trainers, ones with open API's like the KICKR, so that they work on platforms like the Apple TV and iPhones. Bkool have not yet released their API so Zwift can't support them fully.

It is possible to get the information coming out of the Bkool Pro converted to bluetooth and into Zwift, but not yet possible to send anything back, so the Bkool Pro cannot be controlled to change resistance automatically. It is basically acting like a power meter, even though a pretty poor one (as it isn't actually a power meter and is not known for accurate estimates).

Theoretically it should be possible to bridge Zwifts bluetooth commmands to ANT+ F-EC open protocol commands. but I don't think anyone has done it yet!

Thanks,

Geoff

P.S. Any chance the chatter about Keighley could be deleted now, as this is a FAQ thread?

P.P.S My brother had his first house in Cowling, near Keighley, and my Mum lived in Baildon! And yes, I will delete this PPS... :laugh:
Sorry, not really a constructive post from me. Just wanted to say that it's nice to hear from you again.

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
My old cycle route went up through cowling, on to Laneshaw Bridge and back over the tops to Haworth.

When I’m down doing the Yorkshire Sportive, I’m going to do it for old times sake... can’t wait.. :wahhey:

PS.. I also agree with Lars..

Lottiegirl

I'm fairly new to using Bkool and have a friend who also has one. Is there anyway we can both ride the same ride but apply a handicap so that we can ride it at the same speed/together rather than me being dropped (he is better than me by a long way!)

Thks.

bridgy

Legendary Member
I'm fairly new to using Bkool and have a friend who also has one. Is there anyway we can both ride the same ride but apply a handicap so that we can ride it at the same speed/together rather than me being dropped (he is better than me by a long way!)

Thks.
The only thing I can think of is to ride a mostly uphill route and have your friend increase his weight or you reduce your weight enough to even out your speeds (might be a bit hit and miss to get the weight correct). Would only potentially work on uphill routes where rider weight becomes a major issue for your speed.

If you want a race/challenge - as opposed to just riding along together - you could compare personal times on a particular route and ride that with your friend setting off at the appropriate amount of time after you, and see if he can catch you by the end. This is essentially what we do as a group in our "Handicap Races" which we organise in the Team Bkool Cyclechat thread.

Lottiegirl

The only thing I can think of is to ride a mostly uphill route and have your friend increase his weight or you reduce your weight enough to even out your speeds (might be a bit hit and miss to get the weight correct). Would only potentially work on uphill routes where rider weight becomes a major issue for your speed.

If you want a race/challenge - as opposed to just riding along together - you could compare personal times on a particular route and ride that with your friend setting off at the appropriate amount of time after you, and see if he can catch you by the end. This is essentially what we do as a group in our "Handicap Races" which we organise in the Team Bkool Cyclechat thread.

Ah - setting off at different times would work, I'd need to make sure there was no slacking then!

bridgy

Legendary Member
Ah - setting off at different times would work, I'd need to make sure there was no slacking then!
If you want to try similar with more people than just your friend feel free to join the Handicap Races we organise on Team Bkool Cyclechat thread - just post on there if you're interested and we'll explain how to join in etc.

JuhaL

Guru
Windows7 did tricks to me again. I was start to update sim to latest version but update file doesn't find program to start installation. I was delete the whole bkool folder as well. So no Bkool Simulator anymore in here.

JuhaL

Guru
Windows7 did tricks to me again. I was start to update sim to latest version but update file doesn't find program to start installation. I was delete the whole bkool folder as well. So no Bkool Simulator anymore in here.
Issue fixed. It was Internet Explorer issue, so i change my default browser to Firefox and now i have Bkool Sim again. What is problem with that explorer???....except is Microsoft product.

borchgrevink

Is there a firmware version history for Bkool anywhere?

Brusgaard

Über Guru
Is there a firmware version history for Bkool anywhere?

If by history you mean a log of what has changed, I don't think it exists. The Bkool Pro has seen firmware versions 3.02 (not upgradeable & no ANT+FE-C/Bluetooth), 3.06 and the latest official is 3.10 (at least 2 years old). Some Pro's have had their firmware updated to a later version by Bkool in Spain via remote support or if sent back for repairs. The Pro 2 started out at 3.12 or 3.19, and I don't think there has been any official updates for it.

borchgrevink

Well, as an IT guy I probably should stick to the if-it-aint-broken-dont-fix-it maxim...

As of now, I'm using an external power meter and cadence reader too, so the only thing the trainer is used for is resistance.

Brusgaard

Über Guru
Well, as an IT guy I probably should stick to the if-it-aint-broken-dont-fix-it maxim...

As of now, I'm using an external power meter and cadence reader too, so the only thing the trainer is used for is resistance.

Well, Bkool usually breaks one thing when trying to fix another, at least in Bkool Simulator. :smile:

Rexeway

I am stuck not being able to upgrade my Bkool Pro to FE-C. I have tried all the ricks that are listed on the forums, previous software which then updates and Bkool toolkits which won't find the trainer. I would appreciate help as sending the unit back to Bkool is not an option in the current circumstances.

Top Bottom