Bkool Nations Cup 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I'll check that I'm able to set up a league that includes all these rides. I must confess that during the last ride (the velodrome) last year I was absolutely knackered and had little left to give. By then I just wanted it to be over. The only flaw I can think of in this qualifying league format is that it will be done on a race by race basis rather than back to back so anyone with excellent stamina/durability may not shine. Very hard to organise everyone to qualify over a three hour period on a certain date so probably this is the best we can do. I'll probably try to set these up well in advance to make sure they can be found in the stage selector when setting up the league. Surprisingly (or maybe not) I've had trouble finding league rides before suggested by others. Anyway, I'll see if I can get it set up in the near future so if there's any problems we'll be able to solve the problem somehow.

Maybe we just ride the 3 races that were used last year consecutively and the 5 who complete them in the fastest time gain their slot.. that will test the stamina side of it and it means we can slot in the velodrome too.

I know this will require a 3 hour session but I'm sure between now and mid Jan, with Xmas in between, we can all sort out a 3 hour slot to do this. As each person completes their attempt (no bots or ghosts, with a 20 mins max? rest between each ride) they can post up on here and I can update the second post on this thread and order the attempts in order of fastest.

This way too we will each know how bad the real race day will be and whether we (I'm saying we but I don't know why as I won't be in the running!!) really want to go through that pain with hundreds of people watching.

Thoughts?

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
attempt to get more than 5 riders as form can be found and lost between now n race day... ken?

Daddy Pig

Veteran
Maybe we just ride the 3 races that were used last year consecutively and the 5 who complete them in the fastest time gain their slot.. that will test the stamina side of it and it means we can slot in the velodrome too.

I know this will require a 3 hour session but I'm sure between now and mid Jan, with Xmas in between, we can all sort out a 3 hour slot to do this. As each person completes their attempt (no bots or ghosts, with a 20 mins max? rest between each ride) they can post up on here and I can update the second post on this thread and order the attempts in order of fastest.

This way too we will each know how bad the real race day will be and whether we (I'm saying we but I don't know why as I won't be in the running!!) really want to go through that pain with hundreds of people watching.

Thoughts?
Calculation based on total points rather than time as well... just like race day?

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
@Whorty you could be the Salbutamol Sub... :pump:
I'm never going to win a stage, but I do fancy doing the 3 stages in a row at 'race' pace just to understand and feel what the brave British boys will be going through come 17th Feb.

Problem is I'm torn at the moment between pushing on in Zwift and getting my Tron bike, and doing the lejog, plus the CG plus now the trials for the Nations Cup .... so much cycling, so little time :cry:

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
I'm never going to win a stage, but I do fancy doing the 3 stages in a row at 'race' pace just to understand and feel what the brave British boys will be going through come 17th Feb.

Problem is I'm torn at the moment between pushing on in Zwift and getting my Tron bike, and doing the lejog, plus the CG plus now the trials for the Nations Cup .... so much cycling, so little time :cry:

Tron bike will always be there.
Chain Gang is racing
Winter Cup is racing
LEJoG is base miles

My legs were getting sore with the racing (Jim brown standard), thus the lejog.

OP
OP
bridgy

bridgy

Legendary Member
I don't know. I can see the logic behind what you're suggesting whorty but I think it will be both more fun, and easier for everyone to complete if we have a standard monthly league set up. I appreciate stamina for doing all 3 back to back is required - I suffered cramp in the last race last time - but that's why I suggested a long hard stage for the final stage of the league (not perfect I know).

The event itself will be super hard - maybe harder tjhan anything else we've done - but tbat's how it should be. I don't think you have to replicate the whole thing in one go to be ready to compete on the day, although there's obviously nothing stopping you or anyone doing this. I just don't want to make it harder for people to find time to qualify by having to find 3-4 hours in one go to ride as this in itself can be quite a challenge for many people.

BILL S

Guru
For the moment at least, I've set up the January league from the Mountain Goats group and all appears to be well, although I had to set up some of the rides from your links @bridgy which are then linked to the league stages. Never having set it up like that before its untried by us but if it works it'll help a lot with future leagues if people want to suggest rides and post links up here then I'll be able to link directly to the stages. If there's any problems they'll show up early I hope and we can work through them. This was more of a practice set-up for me and can easily be deleted and re-set up in the Chaingang group if there's any good reason to do so. Also, we may not be entirely decided on this format, but it's there and ready to go ( I hope) if we need it.

OP
OP
bridgy

bridgy

Legendary Member
For the moment at least, I've set up the January league from the Mountain Goats group and all appears to be well, although I had to set up some of the rides from your links @bridgy which are then linked to the league stages. Never having set it up like that before its untried by us but if it works it'll help a lot with future leagues if people want to suggest rides and post links up here then I'll be able to link directly to the stages. If there's any problems they'll show up early I hope and we can work through them. This was more of a practice set-up for me and can easily be deleted and re-set up in the Chaingang group if there's any good reason to do so. Also, we may not be entirely decided on this format, but it's there and ready to go ( I hope) if we need it.
Thanks Bill. Will people who are currently members of just the Chaingang League need to apply to join Mountain Goats in order do this league as well do you know?

Are you thinking of also running a standard Chaingang League alongside this one in January? I'm just wondering if too many league rides scheduled at one will cause a problem for people finding the stage to ride - been reading posts on here suggesting lots of scheduled rides has been causing a problem recently

BILL S

Guru
Thanks Bill. Will people who are currently members of just the Chaingang League need to apply to join Mountain Goats in order do this league as well do you know?

Are you thinking of also running a standard Chaingang League alongside this one in January? I'm just wondering if too many league rides scheduled at one will cause a problem for people finding the stage to ride - been reading posts on here suggesting lots of scheduled rides has been causing a problem recently
You are correct Paul in that anyone wanting to enter the qualifier would need to join the Mountain Goats but I may end up changing it to the Chain Gang anyway as I wasn't thinking of having a separate Chaingang league. I'm still concerned about the problem with league rides showing up with too many leagues on the go, but if necessary I will also be deleting rides of other leagues or leaving the other leagues to get the important rides to show up. As long as I can find the sessions in bsim to start the rides then everyone else will be able to at least join the live qualifier races as long as they're available at the time. Failing that, hopefully anyone should be able to get the ride to show by challenging someone's result.

OP
OP
bridgy

bridgy

Legendary Member
You are correct Paul in that anyone wanting to enter the qualifier would need to join the Mountain Goats but I may end up changing it to the Chain Gang anyway as I wasn't thinking of having a separate Chaingang league. I'm still concerned about the problem with league rides showing up with too many leagues on the go, but if necessary I will also be deleting rides of other leagues or leaving the other leagues to get the important rides to show up. As long as I can find the sessions in bsim to start the rides then everyone else will be able to at least join the live qualifier races as long as they're available at the time. Failing that, hopefully anyone should be able to get the ride to show by challenging someone's result.
Great, thanks again Bill - we'll just wait for you to confirm which league it will be run through when we get to January. I'm not doing the Winter Cup so the only scheduled rides I will have in January are these so if a problem for you, I should be fine to start the races instead.

Daddy Pig

Veteran
Great, thanks again Bill - we'll just wait for you to confirm which league it will be run through when we get to January. I'm not doing the Winter Cup so the only scheduled rides I will have in January are these so if a problem for you, I should be fine to start the races instead.
Out of interest, what does the 'OP' stand for in your pic? If it were @AAAC 76C or @Jim Brown I'd say they were missing an 'A'...

keithaitch

Veteran
Bill thanks for all the work you do, as a newcomer I am super impressed and immensly thankful for the effort you put in for everybody's benefit. That doesn't mean i won't try to outsprint you if I can hang on to your coat tails on Thuirsday's ride!

Last edited:

BILL S

Guru
Bill thanks for all the work you do, as a newcomer I am super impressed and immensly thankful for the effort you put in for everybody's benefit. That doesn't mean i won't try to outsprint you if I can hang on to your coat tails on Thuirsday's ride!
No worries Keith. It really doesn't take much time to keep the Chaingang league going and I'm happy to do it. I look forward to hopefully getting to race you to the line now and again, probably after I've had a long tow from AAAC :smile:. As for the hilly ones and probably the Nations Cup qualifier, I'll be somewhere behind you but to be honest I think I'll be just as happy to be watching the Nations Cup as taking part as I still remember last years. Not that it wasn't enjoyable ;)

Top Bottom