Bkool race - Results and watts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

borchgrevink

Competed in my first Bkool race today, fun but hard.

When I saw the results I started wondering...

I thought the winner was the one who produced the most watts or watts/Kg. I calculate that nr. 1 and nr. 2 both weigh approx. 79 kg.Please correct me!

Thanks

IMG_20160119_201826.jpg

bridgy

Legendary Member
There's a few reasons I've come across that can cause someone of similar weight to go faster than another rider whilst producing lower watts. Firstly, they may have done more drafting. Secondly they may have freewheeled more on long steep descents when the speed turns blue (to a certain extent, spinning away can produce higher watts without actually making you go any faster).

Also, if you read recent posts in the Team Bkool Cyclechat thread, you'll see that some users have recently discovered that riding with a style of powering hard , then letting the speed drop, then powering hard again in an on/off way can result in more speed for less power. If you compare the speed and power graphs for those two rides in your screenshot you should be able to see if this is the case. This is an unfortunate glitch in the bkool software which can distort race results in a way that's not realistic - it's been discussed quite a lot in the Team Bkool Cyclechat thread.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Just noticed that also the first and second riders are on different trainers and so it could also be this that is causing the difference in watts

OP
OP
borchgrevink

borchgrevink

Ok, I'll check. But in my head most results should be in a descending order, with most watts on top and less and less further down.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Ok, I'll check. But in my head most results should be in a descending order, with most watts on top and less and less further down.

Well it categorizes results by time/speed as you would in a real race - and as above there are "genuine" reasons why you might go faster whilst producing fewer watts (more drafting, resting more on downhills while still going just as fast) but unfortunately there are the other anomalies I've mentioned which can skew the results too - some of which could probably be fixed by Bkool amending their software in some way, and others which can't - e.g.the different specifications of different models of trainer

Bkool

There's a few reasons I've come across that can cause someone of similar weight to go faster than another rider whilst producing lower watts. Firstly, they may have done more drafting. Secondly they may have freewheeled more on long steep descents when the speed turns blue (to a certain extent, spinning away can produce higher watts without actually making you go any faster).

Also, if you read recent posts in the Team Bkool Cyclechat thread, you'll see that some users have recently discovered that riding with a style of powering hard , then letting the speed drop, then powering hard again in an on/off way can result in more speed for less power. If you compare the speed and power graphs for those two rides in your screenshot you should be able to see if this is the case. This is an unfortunate glitch in the bkool software which can distort race results in a way that's not realistic - it's been discussed quite a lot in the Team Bkool Cyclechat thread.

Just a short comment here to let you guys know we are working on the glitch mentioned and will get it fixed as soon as possible :highfive:

bridgy

Legendary Member
Just a short comment here to let you guys know we are working on the glitch mentioned and will get it fixed as soon as possible :highfive:

@Bkool the site was down for about an hour at 7pm last night (no rides loading) and when it started working again there was an update - can you tell us what the update was for? Was it anything to do with any of the issues highlighted on this forum? Many thanks

g00se

Veteran
There are update details on the facebook page. But it looks like a number of the issues here were addressed:

3 new types of roads on the 3D. Two are asphalt in different wear status and the other is a new type of dirt road.

Spectator mode opened to free users

Pacer has a new look and targets are represented differently

Velodrome games have been opened to all smart trainers

Gear customisation is now available for non Bkool trainers and for free users. Free users will be able to customise outfits, but they will not see it inside the simulator

A podium has been added at the end of the routes and 3 first riders will be there when anybody arrives to the finish line.

We have programmed the simulator so that when it is paired to a non Bkool Smart trainer, it smooths the slope changes. We have also included virtual speed for non Bkool smart trainers.

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
There are update details on the facebook page. But it looks like a number of the issues here were addressed:

Spectator mode opened to free users

But not in 3D. I think it would be a good idea to allow spectating in 3D for non-premium users, as it shows off 3D and may well encourage them to upgrade to premium to use 3D for their own rides.

Velodrome games have been opened to all smart trainers

That's great, very sensible.

We have programmed the simulator so that when it is paired to a non Bkool Smart trainer, it smooths the slope changes. We have also included virtual speed for non Bkool smart trainers.

I tried a descent with a Wahoo KICKR after the upgrade and there was no sign of virtual speed, if by that you mean that the speed indicated on a steep downhill is determined by the slope (free-wheeling downhill). I managed to ride down an 11% decline at less than 4 mph, whereas gravity would suggest more like 40 mph.

Geoff

Bkool

I tried a descent with a Wahoo KICKR after the upgrade and there was no sign of virtual speed, if by that you mean that the speed indicated on a steep downhill is determined by the slope (free-wheeling downhill). I managed to ride down an 11% decline at less than 4 mph, whereas gravity would suggest more like 40 mph.

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Please make sure your KICKR is paired to the Bkool Simulator, that you have not chosen any slope reduction in your session, and that your weight is entered correctly into the system. If all that is correct, you should see the speed turning blue and being a calculated number when on a downhill. If this does not help, please email us at info@bkool.com and customer support will try to find out why it is not working for you.

Thanks!

Bkool

But not in 3D. I think it would be a good idea to allow spectating in 3D for non-premium users, as it shows off 3D and may well encourage them to upgrade to premium to use 3D for their own rides.

That was the intention Geoff, there is a bug that is not letting free users see the 3D while in spectator mode. We are working on it to have it fixed as soon as possible. We appreciate the feedback!

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
Hi Geoff,

Please make sure your KICKR is paired to the Bkool Simulator, that you have not chosen any slope reduction in your session, and that your weight is entered correctly into the system. If all that is correct, you should see the speed turning blue and being a calculated number when on a downhill. If this does not help, please email us at info@bkool.com and customer support will try to find out why it is not working for you.

Thanks!

All was as you suggest, but no blue speed. I'll set it all up again and then email.

It is at least good to know that you meant to make it work! :okay:

Geoff

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
That was the intention Geoff, there is a bug that is not letting free users see the 3D while in spectator mode. We are working on it to have it fixed as soon as possible. We appreciate the feedback!

Oh dear, it really didn't work out as well as you had hoped ... again, good to know that it was what you intended!

I think spectating in 3D should show off the system in its best light. I was demonstrating it to yet another acquaintance yesterday, who couldn't believe that such a thing existed! :thumbsup:

Geoff

Top Bottom