Bkool race - Results and watts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
That was the intention Geoff, there is a bug that is not letting free users see the 3D while in spectator mode. We are working on it to have it fixed as soon as possible. We appreciate the feedback!

@Bkool

Just tried again with today's update (2.541) and can now spectate in 3D (or video)!

Looks great!

Thanks,

Geoff

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
Hi Geoff,

Please make sure your KICKR is paired to the Bkool Simulator, that you have not chosen any slope reduction in your session, and that your weight is entered correctly into the system. If all that is correct, you should see the speed turning blue and being a calculated number when on a downhill. If this does not help, please email us at info@bkool.com and customer support will try to find out why it is not working for you.

Thanks!

@Bkool

I tried the KICKR on a long downhill again, with the 2.541 update but still no virtual speed.

I checked my weight, made sure the KICKR was paired properly (not as a speed sensor) and ensured that there was no slope reduction (0%) set, but it still just cruised down a 8.4% slope at 4 mph. I tried to get up some momentum and then cruise, but it immediately returned to less than 4 mph, and not a blue speed number in sight.

Anyone else tried?

I'll email support in the morning.

Geoff

Bkool

Oh dear, it really didn't work out as well as you had hoped ... again, good to know that it was what you intended!

I think spectating in 3D should show off the system in its best light. I was demonstrating it to yet another acquaintance yesterday, who couldn't believe that such a thing existed! :thumbsup:

Geoff

Hey guys,

This is fixed and released, all views are visible for free users when they use the spectator mode!
Now they can see how great it is to enjoy the premium features! :bravo:

bridgy

Legendary Member
Hey guys,

This is fixed and released, all views are visible for free users when they use the spectator mode!
Now they can see how great it is to enjoy the premium features! :bravo:

@Bkool you said to Geoff above, and it also confirms in your blog here - http://bkoolers.com/bkool-simulator-discover-everything-the-latest-version-has-to-offer - that the new update has given non Bkool trainers the same downhill "virtual speed" as Bkool trainers, but it's clear from the discussion on the Team Bkool Cyclechat thread that this is NOT the case for Geoff's Kickr, or for two other users on a Tacx Neo, and a Tacx Vortex Smart. Can you please comment and/or update your blog as this update is clearly not working as you planned?

Bkool

@Bkool you said to Geoff above, and it also confirms in your blog here - http://bkoolers.com/bkool-simulator-discover-everything-the-latest-version-has-to-offer - that the new update has given non Bkool trainers the same downhill "virtual speed" as Bkool trainers, but it's clear from the discussion on the Team Bkool Cyclechat thread that this is NOT the case for Geoff's Kickr, or for two other users on a Tacx Neo, and a Tacx Vortex Smart. Can you please comment and/or update your blog as this update is clearly not working as you planned?

Hi folks,

This new feature (virtual speed for compatible smart trainers) is only for premium users, reason why it isn't working for Geoff, as he is a free Bkool user. If you have a premium account and a compatible smart trainer, this should be working for you just fine.

We hope this helps.

Thanks! :bicycle:

bridgy

Legendary Member
Hi folks,

This new feature (virtual speed for compatible smart trainers) is only for premium users, reason why it isn't working for Geoff, as he is a free Bkool user. If you have a premium account and a compatible smart trainer, this should be working for you just fine.

We hope this helps.

Not a problem for me, I have a Bkool Pro, but see recent comments from @Baldo Mero and @Monte on the "Team Bkool Cyclechat" thread who both have premium subscriptions and this update is definitely not working for them on different Tacx trainers

Bkool

Not a problem for me, I have a Bkool Pro, but see recent comments from @Baldo Mero and @Monte on the "Team Bkool Cyclechat" thread who both have premium subscriptions and this update is definitely not working for them on different Tacx trainers

Thank you @bridgy, we have posted there too and will try to help as much as possible =)

Monte

Über Member
Hi folks,

We hope this helps.

Just to confirm what @bridgy has told you - I used a Tacx Neo trainer last Thursday and my poor legs will tell you that virtual speed definitely isn't working...and I am a premium subscriber (at the moment)

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
Hi folks,

We hope this helps.

I am ecstatic to confirm that this is the case, and having signed up for a premium account and done a quick test my KICKR is now getting the benefit of freewheeling downhill! :wahhey:

52 mph without pedalling ... thank you so much. If only I'd had this last February! :whistle:

upload_2016-2-1_14-42-55.png

Geoff (happy bunny)

Monte

Über Member
I am ecstatic to confirm that this is the case, and having signed up for a premium account and done a quick test my KICKR is now getting the benefit of freewheeling downhill! :wahhey:

52 mph without pedalling ... thank you so much. If only I'd had this last February! :whistle:

View attachment 117645

Geoff (happy bunny)

Uh oh...looks like i'm getting a wahoo kickr

Baldo Mero

Thank you @bridgy, we have posted there too and will try to help as much as possible =)

Thank you @Bkool for the follow-up, I use a Tacx vortex and it did not work in my test last time, I am a premium user. I send you my account data in a private msg as you suggested for a follow-up

entropy000000

Competed in my first Bkool race today, fun but hard.

When I saw the results I started wondering...

I thought the winner was the one who produced the most watts or watts/Kg. I calculate that nr. 1 and nr. 2 both weigh approx. 79 kg.Please correct me!

Thanks

IMG_20160119_201826.jpg
BKool software just isn't up to scratch.
I had a similar experience - 2 people (one of which was me) produced the same average watts per kg for the session and he finished in just over half the time I did.
I asked Bkool about this and their response was 'There is more to it than just Watts'... !!... perhaps so, but to produce this much discrepancy?

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
BKool software just isn't up to scratch.
I had a similar experience - 2 people (one of which was me) produced the same average watts per kg for the session and he finished in just over half the time I did.
I asked Bkool about this and their response was 'There is more to it than just Watts'... !!... perhaps so, but to produce this much discrepancy?

There certainly is more to it than just watts, as discussed many times on the monster thread.

You mentioned average watts per kg for a session, which would only be a sensible measure if the session was one continuous steep gradient, with no near flats or downhills. On the flat, watts per kg mean next to nothing, just pure watts is what counts!

Drafting means fewer watts are needed for the same speed, so if two riders sat at the same speed the second rider, in the draft, would need many fewer watts to achieve the same speed/time.

If you push hard at high speed, your watts are used to overcome exponentially increasing drag, so gain less and less time. If you push hard at low speed, such as on a steep gradient, then drag is much lower and you will gain more speed. If you pedal hard on a steep downhill you are mostly wasting watts, for perhaps very little gain. Fair enough if you have power to spare, but then comparing watts or watts/kg is far from the full picture.

So it is as much about clever use of power, knowing when to push hard and when to rest, than outright power or power/weight.

Having said all that, some results seem too far out to be sensible, and are just as likely to be down to differences in the simulation for the two riders as any power differences or strategic use of that power. For example, the latest bkool firmware changes have made the simulation very different, and in many respects much harder, but not everyone has or can apply the latest firmware. Some bkool trainers are stuck on very old firmware which gives great advantages to those riders.

You are not always playing on a level playing field!

Indeed, it is difficult to see how a truly level playing field could be produced in a simulation using such a range of uncalibrated hardware.

Since there are so many differences, and it is easy, for example, to lie about your weight, you can only really take it as a bit of fun, a way to make otherwise tedious training time much more interesting.

If you want real competition, I'm afraid you have to enter real races in real life!

Cheers,

Geoff

Top Bottom