Bl**dy Halfords (again)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tcr4x4

Veteran
So yesterday I reserved a set of cleats, padded shorts and a can of GT-85.

Got a phone all this morning to say the stuff was ready, except the cleats, which they couldn't find, despite the website saying there were in stock.

So I reluctantly go pick up the shorts and gt85 anyway and get home ready to go on a ride.

I pull the shorts out of the bag and see on the label that they said 4 panel.. I ordered 8 panel ones, so I'm a little miffed.
I then notice the size is XL, I ordered size L, so I'm a little miffed again.
I then see the price tag, £10.39, I paid £15.99.
I then see a big stain of unknown origin on the leg.

So now I have to drive all the way back to halfords to return them because the feckin numbskulls are incapable of picking out a simple pair of cycling shorts correctly.

And just to top it off, the straw from the GT 85 is missing too.

Alex H

Legendary Member
So, why do you shop there? :eek:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
A wasted trip for you. I hate it when people waste my time. Sorry to hear of the shocking service too.

Can I ask why you sourced these items from Halfords? I am a big fan of Wiggle myself and in the time it took to faff with Halfords and you'll now have to go back again, you would have got your stuff through the post and a bag of sweeties too.

OP
OP
Tcr4x4

Tcr4x4

Veteran
I've spent £300 in wiggle on clothes and accesories over the last 2 weeks and would always usually use them, however last night I decided I wanted these items for today and I knew I'd be driving past halfords whilst at work, so thought it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that they could actually perform the simple task of picking something off a shelf and giving it to me..

I was wrong.

Plus I get double cashback through quidco when reserving online then paying on my card in halfords

inkd

As said above, buy elsewhere. Have you not got a LBS? I order online but if I want something now I support my LBS.

fossala

Guru
I went down a month or so ago to pick up 2 marathon plus tyres, they said they had both in stock. When I got there I was waiting for around 20 mins when they tried to find them, eventually said they did. One was a marathon plus, the other a cheap "bikehut" tyre. I asked them why he was giving me this, he said it was practily the same thing. I told him he must be taking the piss and left.

Sometimes they are still the cheapest though, I bought a sapim nipple driver the other week. Much much cheaper than anywhere else.

fossala

Guru
So, why do you shop there? :eek:
Same reason people shop at Asda and Tescos, it's cheap and close.

OP
OP
Tcr4x4

Tcr4x4

Veteran
My last trip to the LBS ended up in me being ripped off. I'd love to support a local business, but not when they screw me over.
Plus the cleats at halfords were cheaper than wiggles price, and I expect a LBS would be double.
I'm a driver by trade, so I often drive past places whilst working to be able to collect stuff, it wasnt a special trip, but it will have to be to take the thing back.

OP
OP
Tcr4x4

Tcr4x4

Veteran
Probably for various things when I urgently need them, just not for things that can wait.
I do lots of car repairs, so I often need things at short notice and there isn't really anywhere else open the times they are. Plus with my trade card they are considerably cheaper than most other places on some items.

fossala

Guru
I use them when they are the cheapest or when I need something now.

I used to use my LBS but now I've given up, here is a list of why.
Came off my bike, needed it "checked" for insurance company, 40 quid! No only that, they said the frame was sound. Turned out the hanger was bent and the downtube had a dent in it!
Wanted a wheel quickly trued, 20 quid! (didn't take them up)
Wanted a pair of tyres and innertubes, asked if they could do any sort of deal from RRP, No!

They seem like nice guys and I could of been their bread and butter with how much cycling I do and how much I go through tyres and part.

In support of Halfords:

I was in the market for a new lid - looked online and the cheapest price I could find for the lid I wanted was Halfords. However, whenever I clicked on the size or colour preference, the price went up. Phoned the support hotline, told the guy the problem - he tried the web link for himself, agreed there was a problem and agreed he would let me have the lid at the original price. However, he said he would have to charge the full price and would ask the store to refund the difference on collection.

Lid duly reserved for collection at the Reading branch (not local, but Reading is where we were due to be for a couple of days). Arrived at store to find friendly, helpful staff. They went out the back to get the lid. Checked it - right model, size, colour, etc. Mentioned the price issue, showed them the web link and they refunded me the difference as promised. Went away feeling very impressed with the whole process.

Just for a bit of balance, like...

Top Bottom