Bl**dy Halfords (again)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Horses for courses I guess. They are the biggest retailer of cycles in the UK and they are still in business so they must be doing something right.

uclown2002

Guru
And just to top it off, the straw from the GT 85 is missing too.

That made me chuckle!

I've got a spare one. :laugh:

Irishrich

Über Member
I was in the market for a new lid - looked online and the cheapest price I could find for the lid I wanted was Halfords. However, whenever I clicked on the size or colour preference, the price went up. Phoned the support hotline, told the guy the problem - he tried the web link for himself, agreed there was a problem and agreed he would let me have the lid at the original price. However, he said he would have to charge the full price and would ask the store to refund the difference on collection.

Lid duly reserved for collection at the Reading branch (not local, but Reading is where we were due to be for a couple of days). Arrived at store to find friendly, helpful staff. They went out the back to get the lid. Checked it - right model, size, colour, etc. Mentioned the price issue, showed them the web link and they refunded me the difference as promised. Went away feeling very impressed with the whole process.

Good post but WTF is a lid?

inkd

To the OP, That's fair enough although usually if I get crap service I give the place a miss for sometime. I have never had an issue with Halfords with car parts but I rarely ever go anymore as europarts are cheaper and closer to me. As for LBS, I don't mind paying a few quid over online prices as they need to make money, If they take the p**s with prices I go to my next LBS. I am fairly lucky to have about 8-10 LBS in my area (12 mile radius)Think I might take a peek at their website.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Needed a new bottom bracket for my Scott. All the usual Wiggle Chainreaction plus about 4 other internet companies didnt have the right one with an english thread.

With an Audax entered for the weekend I popped into Halfords while Mrs B was in the Supermarket next door. They had one and the price was better than most.

Dont wright Halfords off completely, some of their staff know nothing about bikes but if you know what you want they can be a good source of spares.

markharry66

Über Member
from experience my local Halfords is awful see my post last year. Some or not its hit and miss.
Lastweek needed some tubes for my bike halfords in Catford had none on display. No bike hut guy in. Caught in traffic or sick so girl behind till spent 10 minutes while que grew to go find them out the back. So they are not all bad.

lejogger

Guru
I've had good and bad experiences at most online and actual cycle stores by now including my LBS who seem to make up prices depending on what the weather is like. Eg. tightened the cones on my Fulcrum wheel for £3, so when it needed doing again a few months later I didn't hesitate in taking it straight round. That time they charged me £6.

I no longer have any loyalty whatsoever, except to my wallet/bank manager. I simply buy from the cheapest place I can find that I trust.

Top Bottom