Bl**dy pavement riding RLJ's...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Garz

Squat Member
User3143 said:
How can you be forced to get on a path?

If you deny theres section of roads that do this then you either lack the ability to realise that this does happen, or your just being ignorant and dont want to look embarrassed on the forum. ;)

This is also the commuter subsection too lee, im sure someone has also experienced this on their commute or there is none on the whole of the british isles..

i have a 12 mile round-trip commute to work. 10 yards of that is pavement which i ride across. i do 45-60 mile rides on the weekends on my roadbike. i think i'm fairly confident on the roads but that's only because i haven't managed to find a 50 mile long pavement to ride on! ;)

Trevrev

Veteran
Garz said:
If you deny theres section of roads that do this then you either lack the ability to realise that this does happen, or your just being ignorant and dont want to look embarrassed on the forum. ;)

This is also the commuter subsection too lee, im sure someone has also experienced this on their commute or there is none on the whole of the british isles..

Here, Here !!!

Trevrev

Veteran
User3143 said:
But you can't.

Yes you can lee..It's easy.......You try it. Go on be a devil.......;)
You might even get away without a £30 fine.......
Get some balls on you man!!!! LOL.........
I love your straightness........Er, I think !!

Garz

Squat Member
User3143 said:

You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.
[Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & R(S)A 1984, sect 129]

OK Lee, you left out other important bits..

Cyclists have no right to cycle on a footpath away from the road but only commit an offence where local by-laws or traffic regulation orders create such an offence.

Paul Kitson, partner at cyclist-friendly solicitor Russell, Jones and Walker of London says: "There may also be offences committed in relation to 'walkways' (which is a footpath under a walkway agreement) under Section 35 of the Highways Act 1980. However, the conditions on which these can be ridden is dependent on local council bye-laws, which vary from council to council."

What was that about grey area again.. im sure i mentioned it somewhere? ;)

Trevrev

Veteran
User3143 said:
Why would I want to ride on the pavement when:

It is more hazardous then riding on the road

It is slower

Go on Lee.....Just bump up then go straight back down again. You can do it.
I'm behind you man.....You can do this !!! ;)

purplepolly

Trevrev said:
Go on Lee.....Just bump up then go straight back down again. You can do it.
I'm behind you man.....You can do this !!! :biggrin:

He's obviously not getting through, so I'll repeat. Why on earth would we want to cycle on the pavement? There's a perfectly good road so why would anyone want to cycle on a badly surfaced (or worse paved), narrow pavement that brings them into more greater conflict with traffic at junctions and is full of unpredictable pedestrians, dogs, and, god help us, children. I'm perfectly happy on the road, I don't want to cycle on the pavement at 4mph and have people suddenly walk in front of me.

wafflycat

Trevrev said:
I love my bike........The car stays at home !!! You need balls to ride on the road nowadays.

No, I certainly don't have any of those, but I have no problems cycling on the road. If I, a middle-aged woman can do it with assertiveness (not aggression) and competence, I'd suggest it's well within the abilities of most.

wafflycat

Trevrev said:
Anyway...On a serious note.......Male cyclists wearing lycra shorts.....If anything gives cyclists a bad name and a real cause for abuse......Thats it !!!! You're not helping yourselves guys !!!!

No, not at all. There's nothing finer than a fit bloke's arse in Lycra. :biggrin:

Trevrev

Veteran
purplepolly said:
He's obviously not getting through, so I'll repeat. Why on earth would we want to cycle on the pavement? There's a perfectly good road so why would anyone want to cycle on a badly surfaced (or worse paved), narrow pavement that brings them into more greater conflict with traffic at junctions and is full of unpredictable pedestrians, dogs, and, god help us, children. I'm perfectly happy on the road, I don't want to cycle on the pavement at 4mph and have people suddenly walk in front of me.

No.......He's not getting through. Lets get this straight.....I ride on the road..But i haven't got a problem with people riding on the paths...I do go on the path to avoid certain things.....But i've already mentioned that.
But so do 98% of the commuters i see every day.
People like Lee will never get through to me!

Top Bottom