Black Ice, Clipless vs Flats?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sharky

Sharky

Guru
The other option I have been thinking about is to get an outdoor thermometer and just not go out when the temp falls below 8 degrees. We have mild winters down in Kent, so won't be too many non cycling days.

screenman

Legendary Member
The other option I have been thinking about is to get an outdoor thermometer and just not go out when the temp falls below 8 degrees. We have mild winters down in Kent, so won't be too many non cycling days.

That sounds like a plan that I can live with.

Drago

Legendary Member
No reason why your reactions should be any slower when clipped in. Indeed, if it starts to go, pull upwards on the inside pedal in the rear position and that helps right the bike. Can't do that on flats. It's difficult to find a suitable environment to practice, so the moment there's any snow I'm straight out and at it.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have come off on black ice several times both clipped in and on flats. You go down so fast I don't think it would make much difference tbh. Came down hard twice on a winter audax no injuries and bike still rideable but with minus 3 at the start I should have known better.Much less likely to ride on icy days now.

NickNick

From my experience on horses, bikes and in competition motoring I honestly do believe the problem is that the vast majority of people stiffen up, as such, they tighten their grip on the handlebars, reins and or steering wheel and in so doing they significantly reduce their bodies ability to react, so hopefully you won't take exception to me suggesting you should HANG LOOSE.

This is very true, its why often in a collision between a drunk driver and a sober driver where both cars experience equal damage/force, the drunk driver tends to come out better as they don't tense up pre impact due to their reduced reaction time.

OP
OP
Sharky

Sharky

Guru
This is very true, its why often in a collision between a drunk driver and a sober driver where both cars experience equal damage/force, the drunk driver tends to come out better as they don't tense up pre impact due to their reduced reaction time.

Could be a bit of truth in that. Recall an end of season club run a long time ago and more than a few pints of Guinness. It was a bit icy on that day as well and I had a bit of a spill. Didn't hurt a bit - until I got home.

I was lucky, one of the other riders collided with a duck pond.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That seems far too cautious. It's almost always OK with a shaded air temperature above 4 degrees even out in the sticks. You can even get away with one or two degrees colder when it's sunny, except for shady ice traps.

Black ice, it's very quick when you go over ... there isn't any time to think at all!

I don't think you get any time to react with black ice.

This. I've described my my black ice experience as "the hand of God". You're cycling happily along and then you are on the ground, like someone snatched your bike from under you. Getting a foot down was never an option.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
FTFY, but why are they always on bends/junctions FFS :cursing:
Because you often get away with riding over them in a straight line but if you try to turn the front wheel, it's BANG and :B) - I have seen someone wipe out because they realised the bend ahead was iced over, so they tried to steer into the verge on the preceding straight which was also iced over by that point and down they went. I just about managed to stop by braking in a straight line much further back down the straight.

Top Bottom