Black Ice, Clipless vs Flats?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I've got those double sided Shimano pedals with a platform around them on the winter commuting bike. When I approach a bend & it has been icy, I will take it slow and unclip as I've been able to mitigate the full impact in the past doing this. Last winter I got the Schwalbe winter tyres @summerdays mentioned and they were very good, gave me a lot more confidence after a couple of icy falls.

OP
OP
Sharky

Sharky

Guru
Thanks for all your replies. As far as pedals and black ice is concerned, I think the general opinion is that it doesn't matter which, so I will keep to my clipless pedals. But I am going to keep an eye on temperatures and avoid the really cold days.

In terms of just falling off under other conditions, something which in the last 10 years seems to be on the increase for me, I am going to start saving for a trike!

InchPitch

Regular
I came a cropper on some black ice a few years ago when we had the v cold winters in UK. No time to react, bam, much hurty body and bent crank.
Bought some spiked tyres - absolutely fantastic. Felt safer on the spikey bike than trying to walk. Good on slippy wood bridges too.

Downside - slow, noisy, heavy. They slip on metal drain covers. oh and don't spin the wheels and then use your hand to slow the wheel.
I guess the noise tells people you are coming :-). Scares dogs away and should one be stupid (or badly controlled) enough to run in front of the wheel .....

Apart from that - just awesome. I put them on my road bike and mountain bike when the black ice comes.

Excellent on thin snow too. One winters day I was the only person that made it into the office. Which was good - cause I got paid.
But my thoughts of getting on undisturbed were quickly shattered by having to answer the phones all day. :-)

Hadn't thought about spiked tyres. Might be worth putting one on the front. How effective are they on black ice and do you notice them when riding when it's not icy?

Attachments

• Spikers.jpg
    Spikers.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

NickNick

I came a cropper on some black ice a few years ago when we had the v cold winters in UK. No time to react, bam, much hurty body and bent crank.
Bought some spiked tyres - absolutely fantastic. Felt safer on the spikey bike than trying to walk. Good on slippy wood bridges too.

Downside - slow, noisy, heavy. They slip on metal drain covers. oh and don't spin the wheels and then use your hand to slow the wheel.
I guess the noise tells people you are coming :-). Scares dogs away and should one be stupid (or badly controlled) enough to run in front of the wheel .....

Apart from that - just awesome. I put them on my road bike and mountain bike when the black ice comes.

Excellent on thin snow too. One winters day I was the only person that made it into the office. Which was good - cause I got paid.
But my thoughts of getting on undisturbed were quickly shattered by having to answer the phones all day. :-)

What size are the ones on your road bike? Would be tempted to get some if it looks like we're going to get a proper winter this year, but don't have all that much tyre clearance on this bike.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I doubt if mine would fit your bike - 2.35 on the front and 2.1 on the back :laugh:

Schwalbe do the Marathon winter down to 1.6
or the Winter Spike road down to 1.1/2, 1.2, 1.75 and 35c

keithmac

Guru
I was mulling over spiked tyres this year, I commute to work on the bike so no option but to brave the ice.

How long do they last if it's not icy?.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I came across my receipt recently and mine are now 8 years old. I only tend to use mine on the colder days but they do end up being used on tarmac without ice.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I was mulling over spiked tyres this year, I commute to work on the bike so no option but to brave the ice.

Not sure about the road ones. but my Ice Spiker Pros - over 7 years. The front one is new though, a dog bit through the sidewall of the last one.

The spikes are getting a bit dull on the rear, but I have not lost any yet.

Steel spiked ones wont last as long, but when you consider how little you use them, they should last quite well.

Mine were extremely expensive (£75+ each) but considering the amount of work days I didn't miss - they have more than paid for themselves.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
My worst experience on black ice was a few years ago now.

I was at a reasonable speed on fixed-wheel on a straight, narrow road with a pronounced camber. The front wheel started skittering down the camber. With a bit of care I managed to get to the crown of the road, then a car came the opposite way. A modicum of leg-braking sent the back wheel fish-tailing, and I had to be rather careful moving over just enough to let them pass without sliding down the camber again. I continued at a more cautious pace to my destination.

The biggest problem is not being able to ride fast enough to keep warm.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

The instructions for my Schwalbe studed tyres say pump them up a bit when it's not icy.

This means the tyre runs more on the central no-studded ridge, so more like an ordinary tyre.

You can tell by the volume of the tell-tale rice crispies sound.

A loud snap, crackle and pop means the pressure is low and the studs are making good contact with road surface.

A feint sound means the reverse - pressure is high and the spikes are making limited contact with the road surface.

As others have said, they work a treat, particularly on black ice, enabling you to cycle on a surface on which it would be difficult to walk.

Long sheets of black ice are rare, but stopping on black ice can be hazardous because your planted foot slips.

Top Bottom