Blind corner overtaking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
To be fair, it's a demo. I'd be surprised if he rides with all three devices active all the time. And even if he does, you can't just assume he's looking at them at times when he should be looking at the road (I sometimes go for miles without looking at my Garmin).
But if you are like me, there are also times where you concentrate on it a wee bit too much.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I read this as substitution, but I could be wrong.

He also said: "even if it does not detect a car, I will still check by looking ...."

Probably best not to judge a person's riding style/ability based on throwaway comments on the internet.

Either way, it's not a solution for the OP.

Agreed.

dim

I think its something else to take your eyes off the road ahead. The guy in the clip had 3 screens to distract him. But you are free to spend your money as you wish.

the video is from DC Rainmaker .... he tests bike gadgets and is highly regarded on many forums .... he has several bikes, and I assume that when he is not testing gadgets, and goes out on a serious ride, he only takes the accessories needed for that particular ride

aferris2

Guru
You've got to ride further out from the edge of the road.
I have several totally blind bends on my commute. For these I'm usually almost on the centre line if there is one. If not I will be right in the middle so there's no room to get past. It gives me a better view of what might be coming towards me and it makes the driver behind have to go completely onto the other side of the road to get past. As that will put them directly facing anything that might be coming in the other direction, they tend to hold back.
Sometimes this doesn't work and I can usually sense when they are still going for the overtake - listen to the engine and tyre noise. Look behind so that they know you have seen them and block with your right arm straight out to the side with palm facing backwards to signal "Stop". Now they are faced with not quite half the road width to squeeze into. Don't leave it till the last second though. Be assertive and get in with the block (when you need it) before they have fully committed to the pass.
When you think it's safe for an overtake, pull back towards the side to give then room to pass safely (on your terms). Oh, and give them a friendly wave of thanks as they go past - it confuses the hell out of them!
If it's a commute, you and the car drivers are doing the same thing every day at the same time. It doesn't take long for them to learn what's going on and will start to hold back for the few seconds needed.

dim

[QUOTE 4510246, member: 9609"]Just using my ears I can tell if its a car or lorry, and there is good indication to the manner of how its been driven, its a good sign when you hear the engine go onto the over-run, (it is likely they have seen you and are preparing to pass)
I would have thought watching a screen for the appearance of a white dot may cause more dangers in not watching the road ahead.[/QUOTE]

Garmin have that covered (links to the radar gadget aswell):...little screen that connects to your sunglasses .... trying to convince my wife to buy me one for christmas :laugh:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
While I hope it works out for you I've found that my ears are rather good for detecting rearward cars. They even work round corners! As a bonus, by listening to the engine, you can get a very good idea whether or not the driver's hanging back or just about to charge forwards.

And there is absolutely no subsitiute for looking backwards. Shoulder checks are a vital part of maintaining situational awareness. No technology is a substitute for that.
I find a mirror works pretty well. The mirror, combined with me listening to the traffic and my general situtational awareness, keeps me safe.

Anyway, to get back on topic, I have the same problem as the OP down here in East Kent - maniacs overtaking on blind bends, often at high speed. In particular the blind bend that is just a couple of hundred metres down the road from my house, and therefore not one I can easily avoid without adding several miles to my 3 mile route into town. It's ruddy terrifying. Even if you do ride well out into the road, many of them will still overtake you.

I have also had the equally terrifying experience of coming round a blind bend to be faced with an overtaking car coming the other way.

I fear the worst is ultimately inevitable but what can you do?

Exactly my thoughts

Anyway, @cardiac case , sorry to hijack your thread. As mentioned up there a bit, ride away from the edge of the road to discourage drivers from overtaking when they shouldn't. And if they still do it gives you space to bail out into if it all goes horribly wrong.

I was a metre out, so effectively in the middle of my side of the road, and he still came past.
Not a small car either, a Passat Estate. I have no doubt that had another car appeared coming towards us
he would have cut back to the left and taken me out.

The photo is a representation of my view.
At this point I was conscious of the overtaking car being level with my back wheel.
It was half way past at the point where the nose of the silver car in the drive is.

Paul G

0vertake.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
Best thing you can do is brake firmly once they've started the move. It allows them past asap and minimises the change el chumpo will have a collision, and if he does it maximises the space between you and them.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Best thing you can do is brake firmly once they've started the move. It allows them past asap and minimises the change el chumpo will have a collision, and if he does it maximises the space between you and them.
This is what I would do but for the reason it gets me out of the way in case he does run into trouble. Its tempting to hope they will meet something coming and pay the price for their stupidty but the person coming the other way would pay the price too.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

Just make sure there isn't another tw@t following him.^_^

Top Bottom