Blocking an ambulance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cirrus

Veteran
I find it suspicious that no one has reported on his defense or mitigating factors. Like that might lead to an understanding of the situation

There's more to this story than is being reported.

Stop oil protester getting some practice in?

winjim

Smash the cistern
The question in the op, although posed in a rhetorical fashion, is a legitimate one. Something happened to make this person act like this, we just don't know what. It's overly simplistic to dismiss him as an idiot or to call him names, that may serve a purpose in getting our own frustrations out, but it's hardly getting to the root of the problem.

Frankly it's an argument, as if we needed another one, for the removal of more cars in general from our roads and for the increased provision of safe, reliable, integrated public and active transport systems. A frustrated person on a bike or a bus may cause some disruption but is unlikely to impede the emergency services in the same way, and fewer cars both driven and parked on the roads means easier passage and better overtaking opportunities for large emergency vehicles.

Does the presence of a rehabilitation order not suggest that the court considers there might be some underlying issues that need addressing? If that can be done successfully while he remains off the road, that's got to be better than a custodial sentence, right?

Unless 'rehabilitation order' is just a euphemism.

A darn sight cheaper and more effective generally, although I can understand why people may feel it inappropriate.

Of course, this could be another result of the lack of mental health provision in the UK.

Alex321

Veteran
I find it suspicious that no one has reported on his defense or mitigating factors.
I don't. He pleaded guilty, so no defence.

And very possibly no mitigating factors, there certainly aren't any obvious ones.

Like that might lead to an understanding of the situation

There's more to this story than is being reported.

Not necessarily anything signifcant.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Whatever it was it really can't justify in some way his actions, or maybe you think it can?

We can try to understand without condoning it though. Maybe something did happen to trigger his behaviour and maybe it was justified in his own head. Some people can and do flip into completely irrational anger and controlling behaviour at the slightest of stimuli. And maybe if we can understand it we can treat or otherwise support him.

It's all well and good to try and understand his actions but the court's duty is to keep the public safe. They've given him a three year ban and he'll need to retake his driving test to regain his license. Hopefully he'll learn and not behave in this way again.

... and he needs to reeeeeeally watch himself with a suspended custodial sentence hanging over him.
The following is always dangerous territory on a cycling forum, but ... <deep breath>:
I think it's a fair sentence. He didn't hurt anyone, he didn't try to hurt anyone, and he probably didn't even think he might hurt anyone: he was just a ginormous cockwomble. People get less for seriously injuring someone with a punch, a knife, even a car.

DRM

Guru
For what it’s worth I have a gut feeling that he’s going to be recognised whilst out and about, and will be requiring the services of the paramedics after being spotted, iirc a certain Mr Pickering of Hull has had similar problems, there is absolutely no reason at all to drive in such a manner in front of an ambulance on a blues and two’s run, he even overtook the thing on the chevrons

Top Bottom