Blood Cholesterol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A

another_dave_b

beancounter said:
I've lost one and a half stone

Kudos!

There was an Am I Normal radio programme on the Heart, that touches on cholesterol/statins, that you might find of interest.

alp1950

beancounter said:
Despite a year of better diet (I've lost one and a half stone) and over 3000 miles of cycling, my bad cholesterol is still too high (about 5.5) and my good cholesterol still too low (about 1.1). My total-to-good ratio of about 6.6 is down from 8 a year ago but still not good enough.

So the doc has prescribed statins, which I was offered a year ago but declined. I really wanted to avoid taking drugs but my "natural" efforts have not delivered the necessary results.

I'm 48, have moderate blood pressure levels and don't smoke (never have) so I don't feel high risk but the doc is now strongly recommending the pills.

bc

Easy one to answer.

You might not feel that your risk of developing heart disease is high, and you might be right although the scientific basis from which the guidelines for statin therapy have been derived is robust. These guidelines currently advise that statin therapy is indicated when total cholesterol to HDL (good cholesterol) ratio exceeds 6. You've obviously done well to get your ratio down from 8 but you've not hit the target hence the GP's advice. There are no certainties either way of course, but by taking a statin your risk of developing some form of cardiovascular disease in the future will be reduced.

In your position I would take the statin. In comparison to most other drugs they are very safe and only a small percentage of people on treatment experience side effects.

OP
OP
beancounter

beancounter

gavintc said:
My cholesterol levels were over 10 when I was checked completely by chance following an accident. I now take 40 mg of Atorvastatin daily and it controls it well - my bad cholesterol hovers in the mid 4 now.

Well, the doc has also started me off on 40mg of Simvastatin - seems like a high dose to me, but I guess it'll be reviewed after a few months.

I'm not happy but there you go, I'm damned if I'm giving up chocolate...

bc

jimboalee

I take a 1200mg Lecithin capsule every morning.

I eat a lot of fish, red meat, chicken, eggs and peanut butter ( but not together ).
And quite a bit of cheese.

Cholesterol is OK.

Top Bottom