Blood donation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I only went once and passed out after it! Sadly, I've let it put me off trying again.

That's a shame, try and give it another go, explain to them your concerns and they'll look after you. Your health and safety will always come first.
That's another reason for me as well, feel queezy every time I have to have a blood test, I have to tell them when I get there and lie down to do the test, so that puts me off too.

That's shame too.
At first I thought this thread had backfired with the not so positive replies but well done if you've tried. If they don't want your blood there's not much you can do about it and, if you've given it a go and it's not (or no longer) for you, so be it, you gave it a go and deserve praise for that.

For those who don't want to donate for whatever reason, there's loads worthy causes I don't donate to, so no criticism from me.
It's not that they don't want it, the health and safety of the donor always comes first.

I was feeling pretty pleased with myself having completed my fifth blood donation until I sat down next to a chap who had just donated for the 125th time...

blood.co.uk encourage donors to talk about their donations to raise awareness. I'm grateful to @biggs682 whose post prompted me to register as a donor in the first place and hope this post might encourage someone else to register. If you've ever thought about it, stop thinking and register. I don't mind admitting that I'm a bit squeamish where needles are concerned but the donation process is nothing to worry about, and you get free biscuits - win/win :okay:

It's only 5 but I still feel proud

View attachment 508068

Well done. I did for ~20 years til they decided they didn't want my clotty stuff. Still have to endure the needles regularly, but no tea or biscuits :-(

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I only went once and passed out after it! Sadly, I've let it put me off trying again.
That's another reason for me as well, feel queezy every time I have to have a blood test, I have to tell them when I get there and lie down to do the test, so that puts me off too.
The staff are great at these centres. Explain your fears and issues you've had before and they'll be helpful, sympathetic and talk you through the whole process.
Give it another go!

stephec

Legendary Member
I think I'm on eight or nine.

We used to have a visit at work regularly but the last time I had a cold sore so they wouldn't use me.

Then I started out on the road everyday and never know where I'll be from one day to the next, I keep thinking I should get back to it really.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
71 times so far. And not only for the 213 custard creams I have blagged on my visits to the donor centre. I must admit I've been feeling a bit like it is someone else's turn now, but my rare Ro sub-group is badly needed by people with sickle cell anaemia and other chronic conditions.

It is hard enough for the blood service to source new, younger donors, due to factors such as lifestyle choices, tattoos and piercings. Trying to find new donors among the 2% of the population with the Ro sub-type is evidently really problematic. This all means that I get bombarded with texts, emails, phone calls and letters trying to get me to give four times per year.

For the last few years, I have tried to rein it in a bit and go down to three donations a year, as I have experienced tiredness and a slight loss of stamina for a few weeks immediately after donating and I'm not recovering as fast as I used to. It looks like I'll have to suck it up and get donating more regularly again though, and just work my cycling schedule around my periods of minor listlessness.

I do hope there is a new generation of willing donors out there. It is quite worrying just how many young people never even seem to have thought about donating blood. Well done to the OP for raising this issue.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
71 times so far. And not only for the 213 custard creams I have blagged on my visits to the donor centre. I must admit I've been feeling a bit like it is someone else's turn now, but my rare Ro sub-group is badly needed by people with sickle cell anaemia and other chronic conditions.

It is hard enough for the blood service to source new, younger donors, due to factors such as lifestyle choices, tattoos and piercings. Trying to find new donors among the 2% of the population with the Ro sub-type is evidently really problematic. This all means that I get bombarded with texts, emails, phone calls and letters trying to get me to give four times per year.

For the last few years, I have tried to rein it in a bit and go down to three donations a year, as I have experienced tiredness and a slight loss of stamina for a few weeks immediately after donating and I'm not recovering as fast as I used to. It looks like I'll have to suck it up and get donating more regularly again though, and just work my cycling schedule around my periods of minor listlessness.

I do hope there is a new generation of willing donors out there. It is quite worrying just how many young people never even seem to have thought about donating blood. Well done to the OP for raising this issue.
Good work Donger, look after yourself.

ozboz

Guru
I began giving blood in Australia, one day in August went in and was told that after 31st of December I could no longer give it, as said upthread it was due to BSE, I asked what would I have after the date mentioned that could not have now , I didn’t get a real answer , to I walked out , anyway I returned to England , I duly went to the clinic on Fountain St Manchester ,,and all ok you can give you blood here no problem !
So I did on quite a few occasions when I was working in Central Manchester , I rocked up one day around say 12 30 ish I couldn’t open the door, it was locked , I could see about 6 Nurses sat in a group , so I just stood looking at them , eventually one of them came and opened the door and informed me they were on their brake, come back after 1 am , I explained I only had a short time off the job myself and this was not possible,I got a shrug of the shoulders in reply and the door was shut in my face , I never bothered again after that , they used to phone me up to go in and donate , seems as I am ‘O neg’ it is a sought after blood group ,,

I’m currently suspended after failing the iron test twice in a row. First time 132 and second time 129. As a man it needs to be 135 or above. Ended up having to get a full blood and iron count at doctors and iron supplements to try and get levels back up.
Need a recheck at doctors soon to check levels as if I go again to blood donors and it’s too low again I believe I get banned for 12+ month instead of 4 months.

I’m not on a restricted diet or doing excessive exercise so think I am just unlucky with natural borderline anemic levels.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I’m currently suspended after failing the iron test twice in a row. First time 132 and second time 129. As a man it needs to be 135 or above. Ended up having to get a full blood and iron count at doctors and iron supplements to try and get levels back up.
Need a recheck at doctors soon to check levels as if I go again to blood donors and it’s too low again I believe I get banned for 12+ month instead of 4 months.

I’m not on a restricted diet or doing excessive exercise so think I am just unlucky with natural borderline anemic levels.
I’ve had trouble with my iron levels too, used a Lucky Iron Fish in the past to help.

Top Bottom