Blood donation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Yep.. Free tea & biscuits. Once upon a time, you got a pint of beer 🍻.. A pint for a pint!!

I haven't been donating that long! I do pick up some Guinness to drink after I donate, I rarely drink it any other time*. It's a little ritual.

*I also get one for St Waltrude's day- not long to go for that. This tradition started when I bought some Guinness then wondered what the occasion might be, first search result was St Waltrude.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I haven't been donating that long! I do pick up some Guinness to drink after I donate, I rarely drink it any other time*. It's a little ritual.

*I also get one for St Waltrude's day- not long to go for that. This tradition started when I bought some Guinness then wondered what the occasion might be, first search result was St Waltrude.

There's a negligible amount of iron in Guinness, and its also quite low in calories, (in the region of 200 per pint)

Diageo (who own Guinness) have previously stated
“The iron content of Guinness is just .011mg per 100ml. In the past, iron brewing vessels and pipe-work added quite a bit but these are no longer used.”

I still enjoy a Pint or several 😊

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
At first I thought this thread had backfired with the not so positive replies but well done if you've tried. If they don't want your blood there's not much you can do about it and, if you've given it a go and it's not (or no longer) for you, so be it, you gave it a go and deserve praise for that.

For those who don't want to donate for whatever reason, there's loads worthy causes I don't donate to, so no criticism from me.

I used to give regularly twice a year and have almost 40 donations. But they stopped bringing a van to our office, they lost my records (though still have my card), and booking a slot I could make dwindled to nothing.

Still with the current need for blood I’m going to see if there somewhere I can get to that has slot availability.

Anyway registered online now that you can and as per above post will have to look further afield to see if anything fits.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm not allowed to because I've been taking a low dose of methotrexate for years. It's a source of regret. I had a five hour operation eight years ago and I must have been given a fair bit of other people's blood. I can't return their generosity.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member

I got the tumbler @ 50 donations and the lump of glass @100.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Seems the only venue near enough I can make is fully booked till June. Will have to keep and eye on it as people fall sick and cancel appointments.
Some venues still allow Walk in appointments. It might be worth just popping in and asking. Take a book or summat, though!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Blood donations aren’t just used for transfusion, they use the blood products for other things, for example they can separate the platelets for cancer patients.

At the risk of sounding evangelical about it, please make an effort and go if you can, you will make a difference even if you don’t see it.

Top Bottom