Blood donation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
One of the guys I know through running had a stem cell transplant. There's a European network linked in to Anthony Nolan and the UK Donor register. The transplant was a success though he is monitored regularly.
His donor cells came from a German donor. IIRC the cut off age for going on the register is a lot higher in Europe.
I went on that list about six months ago.

Someone I met through parkrun helps a charity by campaigning for them and she brought swab kits one week, I've since had a letter telling me to wait and see now.

Basil.B

Guru
Donated this afternoon, but was told that my iron levels were low again.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Donated this afternoon, but was told that my iron levels were low again.
I frequently just 'sneak in' on my iron level. The little globule of blood hovers around for a while, then sinks.
Last week, I had a second prickful put on the testing machine. It was spot on 135. Exactly the OK level 👍🏼

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I’ll post this episode of Hancock here. Although I’ve been well aware of it for many years until yesterday I had never seen the whole episode.

vickster

Legendary Member
Very busy at donor centre...paperwork done...spoke to assistant...need to talk to nurse as obscure med not on list
...haemoglobin test...blood doesn't sink...another stabbing...into machine...needs to be 125...
Guess what...124 :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown: Can't donate for 3 months...ffs

Upside, I can cycle tomorrow, they said not to before as hadn't donated for over 2 years

I'm cross as I wanted to donate! :sad:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Very busy at donor centre...paperwork done...spoke to assistant...need to talk to nurse as obscure med not on list
...haemoglobin test...blood doesn't sink...another stabbing...into machine...needs to be 125...
Guess what...124 :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown: Can't donate for 3 months...ffs

Upside, I can cycle tomorrow, they said not to before as hadn't donated for over 2 years

I'm cross as I wanted to donate! :sad:
It’s a pain when that happens, it’s happened to me loads of times. There’s things you can do about your iron levels which I’m sure you already know about.

At least you made the effort, which is more than most people do.

PeteXXX

I've just got my text through..

Thank you so much for donating on 9-Mar. Your donation has now been issued to Luton and Dunstable Hospital. Every donation counts.

Not too far from my Northampton donation place, then :okay:

PeteXXX

Bit of a phaff at my 56th donation, today!
After 4 texts telling me what I can, can't, must, mustn't do, I arrived on time to donate.
You're not on the list, you're not coming in, said the nice NHS bouncer on the front desk.
You had an email saying that your appointment is cancelled.
No I didn't.
Yes you did, or you should have!
No, I had no email, just 4 texts, the last one being this morning saying I had to arrive on time, not early.
Well... Errr
Can I speak to a senior person, please.
The senior person decided the she could just about squeeze me in.

No, yes, NO hot drinks afterwards, just juice. And!!! A person was handing out a 3 pack of snacky biscuits!! Normally, I've got several in each hand, plus my nose in the trough..

Even my bike was covid compliant!

Let's hope things improve in 12 weeks time for my next donation 😕

OP
OP
The Bystander

The Bystander

Über Member
I'm due to donate in a couple of weeks, my 6th - just the 50 behind you @PeteXXX

If they can't get their act together I'd be tempted to take my blood elsewhere... Oh, wait...

If they're just offering one pack of biscuits afterwards maybe I'll take some sandwiches to compensate.

Top Bottom