Blood donation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
I used to donate regularly but they started playing background music, which I found very annoying. They also seemed to have a mndset that I should be willing to donate unlimited amounts of my time in addition to my blood even when I had an appointment.

I tried to discuss the intrusive background music with them but their only reaction was to stop inviting me to sessions. I would have thought that being in possession of O neg blood might have warranted a little bit of engagement on their part particularly when they kept reminding me how valuable my blood was. :whistle:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I used to donate regularly but they started playing background music, which I found very annoying. They also seemed to have a mndset that I should be willing to donate unlimited amounts of my time in addition to my blood even when I had an appointment.

I tried to discuss the intrusive background music with them but their only reaction was to stop inviting me to sessions. I would have thought that being in possession of O neg blood might have warranted a little bit of engagement on their part particularly when they kept reminding me how valuable my blood was. :whistle:
You could try a different donor centre.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
There's a negligible amount of iron in Guinness, and its also quite low in calories, (in the region of 200 per pint)

I know, I'm just holding on to an old tradition.

View attachment 508174

I got the tumbler @ 50 donations and the lump of glass @100.

Wow. I got a pen and a badge at 50. The pen stopped working almost immediately, then I dropped it and it broke.

I've still got the bits in my desk drawer.

alicat

Legendary Member
You could try a different donor centre.

I did. They are all made in the same mould and I was still bringing the same volunteer with expectations of being treated as a volunteer not a conscript.

I went to donate blood when I was working in France. They didn't want it to give for transfusions because of BSE but they were happy to have it for research purposes. I liked it there - I had a proper meal afterwards that was really tasty.

Last edited:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Blood donations aren’t just used for transfusion, they use the blood products for other things, for example they can separate the platelets for cancer patients.

At the risk of sounding evangelical about it, please make an effort and go if you can, you will make a difference even if you don’t see it.

If I understood correctly ( at a talk by a consultant haematologist) the platelets have a relatively short shelf life compared to blood making the donation / receiver a bit more involved.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
If I understood correctly ( at a talk by a consultant haematologist) the platelets have a relatively short shelf life compared to blood making the donation / receiver a bit more involved.
“All platelets are stored at room temperature (20-24ºC) with gentle agitation until issue. The shelf life is 5 days from the date of collection”

Skibird

I used to give regularly (started nearly 30yrs ago) but unlike on the mainland where there was always somewhere to go, have never seen anything advertised here on the IOW, so you've just prompted me to register/update my address, and earliest I can donate is in 3 weeks :eek:. Also been on the bone marrow list for about 20yrs or so.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I used to give regularly (started nearly 30yrs ago) but unlike on the mainland where there was always somewhere to go, have never seen anything advertised here on the IOW, so you've just prompted me to register/update my address, and earliest I can donate is in 3 weeks :eek:. Also been on the bone marrow list for about 20yrs or so.
Nice one, good luck and enjoy the biscuits.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I’ve had to have a little break, but I start again on Wednesday, 265 Donation. ( I cheated a bit ‘cos I was donating platelets, you can go more often and you get two ticks) .
Well done to you OP and to those that have done that can’t anymore and those that still can, it’s a big commitment and important. You really are saving lives.

I told a lie, I just logged on to my account to check my appointment and the donation credit is 287, please accept my apologies. :wacko:

Tenkaykev

Guru

One of the guys I know through running had a stem cell transplant. There's a European network linked in to Anthony Nolan and the UK Donor register. The transplant was a success though he is monitored regularly.
His donor cells came from a German donor. IIRC the cut off age for going on the register is a lot higher in Europe.

Top Bottom