Blood donation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
While 75% of the NHS stand idle the other 25% are facing a tidal wave of non c-19 illness, medical imaging overwhelmed, pain clinics inundated .. cancer and stroke units ...... in tears as patients die with out care ............... :sad:

AndyRM

XOXO
I would, but I'm not allowed to because despite claims of being "progressive", the NHS' attitude to men who have sex with men is anything but.

Rocky

Hello decadence
. cancer and stroke units ...... in tears as patients die with out care ............... :sad:
Is this the case? Coming from a medical family, I’ve not heard of this happening. My wife, who is a professor of medicine and my son, who is a junior doctor in A&E, both categorically dispute that this is happening. I personally know of cancer patients receiving treatment and, sadly, in some cases, palliative care.

So I’d be very surprised if someone was dying without care.

AndyRM

XOXO
Is this the case? Coming from a medical family, I’ve not heard of this happening. My wife, who is a professor of medicine and my son, who is a junior doctor in A&E, both categorically dispute that this is happening. I personally know of cancer patients receiving treatment and, sadly, in some cases, palliative care.

So I’d be very surprised if someone was dying without care.

Likewise. I cannot imagine even the most underfunded or overworked part of the NHS not caring for a patient, no matter how minimal the attention required or possible.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I'm due to donate in a couple of weeks, my 6th - just the 50 behind you @PeteXXX

If they can't get their act together I'd be tempted to take my blood elsewhere... Oh, wait...

If they're just offering one pack of biscuits afterwards maybe I'll take some sandwiches to compensate.
I usually have lots of snacks after donoring.. It sets me up for the ride home!
Also tricky eating them whilst wearing a mask.. Lol

pjd57

Veteran
I've been in once during lockdown.
Missed the tea , biscuits and chat afterwards.
They seemed surprised that I was cycling.
I had to explain that I could cycle home at a very leisurely pace ,no more energetic than walking to the bus stop etc.

OP
OP
The Bystander

The Bystander

Über Member
Time for my next donation today but sadly my iron level was too low.

It was low last time but the second test reading was just acceptable. This time I didn't even qualify for a cuppa and biscuit :sad:

I'm off to lick some steel girders...

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
@The Bystander Eat lots liver wrapped in spinach before your next attempt!
My blood drop always hovers about for a while before it sinks..

My last donation went to West Suffolk hospital, according to my txt.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm due to donate next Thursday...hoping my iron is ok this time although I may be unlucky (it's a woman thing :stop:). I'll have some spinach and maybe a few iron tabs! (no liver for this now non-meat eater)

OP
OP
The Bystander

The Bystander

Über Member
Also a non-meat eater and I usually up my spinach intake (or other iron rich food) a few days before donating but it slipped my mind this time. I wasn't sure if it made any difference but the evidence of this session suggests it might.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I’m currently suspended after failing the iron test twice in a row. First time 132 and second time 129. As a man it needs to be 135 or above. Ended up having to get a full blood and iron count at doctors and iron supplements to try and get levels back up.
Need a recheck at doctors soon to check levels as if I go again to blood donors and it’s too low again I believe I get banned for 12+ month instead of 4 months.

I’m not on a restricted diet or doing excessive exercise so think I am just unlucky with natural borderline anemic levels.

That's why I stopped donating. I gave about 35 times or something like that. I think I only felt slightly dizzy once. Sometimes I used to go swim training with my triathlon club the same day and never felt any the worse. I think the iron limit used to be lower.

vickster

Legendary Member
That's why I stopped donating. I gave about 35 times or something like that. I think I only felt slightly dizzy once. Sometimes I used to go swim training with my triathlon club the same day and never felt any the worse. I think the iron limit used to be lower.
It's also higher for women I believe

Top Bottom