Blood pressure - When to medicate ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
55 year old geezer here - my cycling has decreased recently due to a back injury - last summer when I was doing 100 miles per week my blood pressure was around 130/70 with a pulse of around 60

I have put on a stone and half since then - but still only weigh 12st 5 - I am skinny bloke - but seems to get a belly quite easily - but as of yesterday/today my blood pressure is 145/88 - the pulse has gone right up to 91

GP has said in the past is borderline whether to medicate or not - they have left the decision with me - given that the latest stats should I take some BP medication ?

Drago

Legendary Member
Blimey matey, sorry to hear about your back. As hard as it might be I'd try and drop a bit of weight first, and only take the tabs as a last resort.

vickster

Legendary Member
Personally, I wouldn’t take medication for that BP given the potential side effects but you need to take your GPs direction. Is there a history of CV disease /stroke in your family which might influence the decision?

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I hope the back injury isn't permanent - but its looking 50/50 - as its arthritis related.
My dad had similar BP reading - but lived to a good age.

I was also diagnosed with a heart murmur last year - scans and echo's said it was only minor - but I wonder if high BP could make it worse - GP in the past have said Im borderline and can have the meds if I wish.

vickster

Legendary Member
I hope the back injury isn't permanent - but its looking 50/50 - as its arthritis related.
My dad had similar BP reading - but lived to a good age.

I was also diagnosed with a heart murmur last year - scans and echo's said it was only minor - but I wonder if high BP could make it worse - GP in the past have said Im borderline and can have the meds if I wish.
Have you seen a cardiologist? Or does your GP (or another in practice) have a special interest in cardiology?

classic33

Leg End Member
Are you getting yourself worked up, turning up/over in your mind all the past events? Maybe checking dr google even.

If you want your mind putting at ease see the doctor, or another at the same practice.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Are you getting yourself worked up, turning up/over in your mind all the past events? Maybe checking dr google even.

If you want your mind putting at ease see the doctor, or another at the same practice.

not really - problem with google \ internet is there are so many opinions from different countries at what BP readings you should go on medication

PK99

Legendary Member
GP has said in the past is borderline whether to medicate or not - they have left the decision with me - given that the latest stats should I take some BP medication ?

Doctors are very reluctant - and rightly so -to give direct advice in borderline cases. A form of words I have found useful a number of times is: "If you were in my position, with these readings, what would you do?"

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Also take into account 'white coat syndrome'. Never had it myself until a couple of years ago - subsequently high readings at the doctors. A 24h test showed my BP dropping dramatically once I'd got home from work, and quite low overnight.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Also take into account 'white coat syndrome'. Never had it myself until a couple of years ago - subsequently high readings at the doctors. A 24h test showed my BP dropping dramatically once I'd got home from work, and quite low overnight.

I do my tests at home - over a week or so...

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I understand 140 is borderline. There was a Radio 4 programme (Inside Health), broadcast on 9 January 2019. It is available as a podcast, so I would download it. It explains why different countries consider different readings as "high" and gives some very useful advice.
I took readings at various times of the day, (recommended in the radio broadcast) averaged them out and took them to the GP. Meds for me unfortunately as my BMI is slightly below dead centre for my height and weight, I don't smoke, get plenty of exercise, limited sodium and alcohol in moderation. Looks like my genes, but with a family history of heart problems and a Mum who has had two strokes, I am not taking any chances.
Meds have brought it down and have a review in a few days to see if GP wants it lower.

Top Bottom