Blood pressure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
I went to the doctor's this week for a checkup which they are promoting. TBH it seemed rather lacking in any real detail, just weighed me and took a BP reading, but it did show up that I have high blood pressure.
So questions about lifestyle, diet, exercise, alchohol consumption etc etc all of which don't really need any change so far as I can tell. Do I get headaches, blurred vision, dizzyness, again all are negative. Nursey took bloods for tests and said she would arrange for a 24 hour monitor to be fitted in a couple of weeks. I'm to call and speak to them when the blood test results are in.

Maybe it's natural for me but it's very high 171/101

I'm not taking any medication for anything, nor any suppliments and I don't want to start now if I'm honest.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've had plenty worse than that.

Doctors seem to take more notice of the lower figure with anything under 100 being acceptable.

My experience with medicine is it's rather like a ratchet, tablets are added but none are ever taken away.

Nothing worked for me until I stopped drinking tea, coffee, and cola, which I used to consume a lot.

Thus I think caffeine was the culprit.

Of course, I'm no doctor, but if I had my time over I would have binned those drinks sooner than I did.

tom73

Guru
Wait for the results and see what they show. It’s quite early to be worrying too much re meds.
what’s your normal BP do you know?
It maybe quite normal for you as you say. Average BP that’s often talked about is not an hard answer fast rule. So many things can mean your ave is not the norm.

As somebody who repairs medical kit for a living, GP surgeries only ever use mickey mouse NIBP machines (the type you get from LIDL, or Boots etc), I`ve had mine tested at the docs before and it`s read stupidly high, but I know it`s a load of pish because I measure it daily when working on hospital standard monitors and my blood pressure is actually low :-)

Take it with a pinch of salt

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
As somebody who repairs medical kit for a living, GP surgeries only ever use mickey mouse NIBP machines (the type you get from LIDL, or Boots etc), I`ve had mine tested at the docs before and it`s read stupidly high, but I know it`s a load of pish because I measure it daily when working on hospital standard monitors and my blood pressure is actually low :-)

Take it with a pinch of salt
Make that a pinch of Lo Salt...? :whistle:

I hope it is a false alarm, colly!

Actually, I was just reading that the risks of sodium (salt) intake may not be as bad for many people as previously thought. Too little may be as bad as too much, and level of potassium intake is also important. More research needed, apparently ...
Surely as cyclists, don`t we just sweat it all out again??

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
In the past I have done drug tests and had BP, heart rate etc etc taken lots of times. But it's done with real attention to detail. Lay down and still for at least 5 mins before measuring. Sit up and wait 5 mins to let things settle down before taking measurements and again stand up and wait for 5 mins before measuring.
Now I know a nurse in a doctors surgery won't have time for all that but I had barely walked in the door and taken my coat off let alone had time to relax. She didn't take my pulse but maybe the machine registered my heart rate automatically.
I can't say I'm fretting about it but I was surprised. Given what you all have said (especially @iateyoubutler) I'll not be ditching that glass of red just yet.

Top Bottom