Blood Pressure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buck

Guru
When taking your blood pressure it's always best to discount the first one and HCPs will often do an eaverage of three to get a more realistic figure.

D

Deleted member 1258

Blood pressure a bit more normal today, celebrating in the pub Sunday I indulged in a large pub meal and it upset my stomach, nothing wrong with the pub grub, everybody enjoyed their meals, but I'm not used to a large amount of food at one sitting and my belly was bubbling like a witches cauldron Monday, much better today and my blood pressure is a more normal 130/80 and should settle over the next few days.

rualexander

Legendary Member
I'm no medic, but purely based on the info in that chart you are good even as low as 100/40?
Diastolic pressure below 60 is a concern nowadays.
The coronary arteries are supplied with blood largely during diastole, so very low diastolic pressure can lead to poor blood supply to the heart muscle, which can be a problem long term.

presta

Guru
The zones marked on blood pressure charts intrigue me, because I'm on the verge of passing out if my SBP drops to anywhere near 90. A paramedic once said "no wonder you're feeling faint, you're losing most of your blood pressure when you stand up" when my SBP was falling to 104. Sitting it was 110-127.

Roth argues that it's BP at the brain that matters, so if you define normal BP at heart height taller people are more likely to have insufficient pressure at the brain.

My average SBP is 120, but it fluctuates between 90 and 165.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
just been to the docs and i have high blood pressure 135/92 even though i do 150-200 miles a week on the bike and have a resting heart rate of 57 bpm .

nagden

My blood pressure last week at the doctors was a 113/70, an all time low for me in a medical situation. I put it down firstly to change of doctor, the previous doctors attitude annoyed me. Secondly I have changed the way I cycle. Now I cycle at a low heart rate even on the hills instead of seeing every hill as a challenge. I feel better for it and it is certainly helping the bp

Buck

Guru
just been to the docs and i have high blood pressure 135/92 even though i do 150-200 miles a week on the bike and have a resting heart rate of 57 bpm .

Exercise and RHR are good for overall health.

BP can be affected massively by diet (I.e. high salt low fibre); alcohol; sleep patterns and medication as well as other factors

Good news is that it’s been identified and can be monitored and managed.

presta

Guru
Was that over 24 hours, sitting, standing etc?
All systolic:
Home, 21.9.20 to 10.8.22: ave 119.4, min 90, max 160, n=235, positions as below.
Home, 20.11.22 to 28.11.22: ave 123, min 99, max 157, n=249, all in armchair.
NHS, 1985 to 15.9.20: average 127, min 104, max 144, n=23, surgery chairs, hospital beds etc.
NHS, 15.9.20 to 16.6.21: average 151, min 140, max 158, n=4.

Minimum with cuff held at brain height: 77.

Re: position
1677849778267.png

Buck

Guru
The blood pressure cuff should always be at the same level as your heart and when you are seated (not on the loo!) unless you are unable to move from a prone position

Top Bottom